Author Topic: Spark Arresters  (Read 3269 times)

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
Spark Arresters
« on: January 02, 2009, 08:37:39 PM »
Now that the 'roid is breathing through an underground exhaust system my thoughts are moving to how to prevent sparks from igniting all the leaves on the hillside. I had a small super trap that was being used as a temp muffler after the pepper can vibrated to pieces during home construction. I have seen glowing sparks ejected from the pepper can muffler.

The super trap work well while mounted close to the engine, however when I tried it mounted to the end of the exhaust pipe it quickly plugged with soot. That was quite an interesting sight. Things sounded "different" and when I went to check there was a loud hissing noise and a steady stream of black exhaust shooting out the last open spot in the super trap.

So I am looking for something to place on the end of the pipe that will stop sparks and not plug up with soot. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 08:43:36 PM by Tom »
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

MacGyver

• View Profile
Re: Spark Arresters
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 09:10:28 PM »

So I am looking for something to place on the end of the pipe that will stop sparks and not plug up with soot. Any suggestions?

The pipe just comes out the side of a hill?  How about putting a big pile of rocks on top of it?

How long is your exhaust system now? Do you think that any hot sparks make it all the way to the end?
Steve

JKson (PS) 6/1 'roid & ST 7.5

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 10:45:45 PM »
The system is 3' 1 1/2" pipe down into the buried LP tank and then 13' of 2" pipe the out side of the hill. I don't really know if sparks will be an issue with that much pipe. There is quite a bit of condensation for the first few hours as the pipe warms up, which brings up another issue. All that soot in the pipe mixes with the condensation and sprays out the end of the pipe making a black stain on the slope below the exhaust outlet.

I really don't want to find out that I need a spark arrester the hard way. Even though I an now a volunteer fireman, I don't what to have to put out my own house. In the location of there are a lot of oak trees which are always dropping debris. Interesting idea about the rocks.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Grael

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 04:46:39 AM »
I'd just put a big pile of rocks at the end, as mentioned above. I'd also solve your black stain problem...or just hide it. ;)
GTC 8-1

"Traveling 33 RPM in an iPod world"