Author Topic: Battery Terminal Goop!  (Read 14784 times)

oliver90owner

• View Profile
Re: Battery Terminal Goop!
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 06:47:19 PM »
Stan, that could be a long term experiment if thE stuff works in this application.

I recently bought 3 cans of 'carlube' spray grease for chains etc. It weighs about 425g including the can  - 400ml size.  Good job they were only 20 or 40p each (Woolworths closing down sale).

I could grease up a 3 furrow plough (from my bucket) for less than the cost of one of those cans at the full price!  In fact for a lot less. :)

It is like the grease bucket.  I fill my gun very irregularly but it is at insignificant cost compared to the 400g grease cartridges.  I just have to store my grease bucket and keep it clean (and I would have to replace my perfectly seviceable grease gun). :)

I know batteries are a high capital investment but I really wonder how much longer they last if cared for properly with vaseline brushed on the terminals, over the plethora of can-recipes available - each claiming to be better than the rest.

Regards, RAB

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2009, 08:00:28 PM »
Dont waste your money.Vaseline tried and tested for years.

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 05:21:33 PM »
Has anyone ever experimented?  One post clean vs. one post coated with goop?

Does one post, positive or negative, bleed more than the other?

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 05:45:18 PM »
It's always the positive terminal that oxidises in my experience.
Case to terminal sealing quality is the issue , I've known some batteries not to suffer the problem at all. For example , the Fiam battery currently on my Citroen daily driver has no terminal coating but there is no oxidation. I doubt GEL electrolyte batteries would suffer the problem either.
The worst culprits in my experience are cheap far east made motorcycle batteries and the old rubber cased , bitumen sealed types.
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

Stan

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2009, 06:50:43 PM »
The big high capacity ones such as the lead acid 2volt cells I've got that are rated at 30amps draw down for 8 hours have so much load on them that they outgas a lot and despite the protective "rock" outgas screens do have some problems.
Stan

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2009, 11:36:58 PM »
Stan,  Is this primarily a positive terminal problem for you too?

I haven't had the problem since I started buying expensive batteries.  A Peugeot 504 cured me of the cheapski battery habbit.  My name is Casey and I've been goop free for over 15 years.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

Stan

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2009, 06:07:53 AM »
Nope, my batteries swing both ways  ;D
Stan

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2009, 04:32:03 AM »
It seems to me on the car that it's usually the negative terminal that gives trouble.
At work, we have a can of copper goop that looks like antiseize the the electricians paint on all the battery terminals. Expensive.
Boeing T-9, I've used. Expensive, but worth it if preserving an aluminum aircraft or boat. I never tried it on a battery.
The felt O ring comes from the auto parts stores in red and green....Why? I thought they were treated special for each post? They do seem to work, but when you are servicing a battery bank, you need a CHEAP system that works, due to so many connections.
You know I'll be trying Vasaline or plain grease on the cars after reading this thread!
As for Poof can products: there are some that can't be beat. Kroil is one. Spray cable and chain lube is another. WD40 is horribly misused, but still fantastic! Brake cleaner and electric contact cleaner (same-same) is a miricle! I love rattle can etching primer spray paint. On the other hand, I'm apalled at the amount of old-dangerous Hazmat left overs I've taken to the Hazmat Dump days the local govenment has put on. My dad had a pickup truck full of the stuff that we took down after he died. Some of it smelled flat illegal by today's standards! ;)
PS I think Battery terminal spray preservative products DON'T WORK. Just a personal experience. I don't know about the spray terminal cleaners, I've got one of those wire brush cleaner tools, which has the blade thingie on the other end. It's the S**t!
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2009, 07:07:22 AM »
plain grease

Don't be using any old grease.  Typical grease is oil in a filler/carrier and can/will separate, so can cause problems with connectivity.  Vaseline has no filler, so is much the better route.

Regards, RAB

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 11:33:03 PM »
I have a can of the felt pads, that fit over the post, with a heavy red grease in them that I bought from bowman/barnes distributors 20 years ago. (they sell nuts, bolts, battery cables, just about any consumable an auto repair shop would use)  They outlast the batteries, I have reused them when replacing batteries on several occasions.
 The part number is 21949 (again 20 years old). bowman/barnes is in cleveland, ohio.
    Scott R.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

Stan

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2009, 02:54:39 AM »
So are these felt pads just plain felt?  Couldn't they be cut from a piece of old felt hat?  Or are they saturated with magic gorilla snot or something?
Stan

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2009, 08:40:06 AM »
I think I read somewhere that it was Gorilla snot.  This zoo was supporting the entire primate exibition with gorilla snot as I remember.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator