Author Topic: Battery Terminal Goop!  (Read 14801 times)

Stan

Battery Terminal Goop!
« on: December 31, 2008, 10:40:49 PM »
OK, I've torn down my battery bank (6, 240 A/hr lead acid cells) and cleaned them all up for another year and then went down to my local FLAPS to find some battery terminal protector.  They only have crappy spray on stuff.  First of all, spray on stuff, no matter what it is, is diluted a 1000% by the propellant so it can be ejaculated out of the can.  What I really want is some of that grease I used to use years ago.  Anyone know of any?  Maybe I'll just use ordinary lithium grease.

What do you all use?
Stan

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
Re: Battery Terminal Goop!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 11:28:23 PM »
Good old Vasoline used to be used for that purpose.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Wizard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 12:42:07 AM »
I use dielectric silicone grease.

Cheers, Wizard

Stan

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 01:20:41 AM »
I realize that the objective is to keep air/gasses away from the metal to prevent corrosion, but inevitably I will have to disassemble this multiple times and want something that will wipe/wash off easily and now screw up the case or other plastic parts.
Stan

Stan

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 01:34:25 AM »
Sounds promising Jens, where do you get it?  ???
Stan

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 01:40:17 AM »
from a solar website:

http://store.solar-electric.com/disigr.html
 $20 US  5oz tube
5 Ounce Tube

Helps prevent corrosion on battery terminals, and keep moisture out of sensitive electrical connections. Use on spark plug wires, connectors, trailer hitch connections and other areas that may be exposed to water, condensation, or corrosion.

Silicone grease is much better than almost any other product for preventing corrosion on battery terminals and lugs because it has such a wide temperature range and will not liquify.

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 02:11:27 AM »

Jetlube ' copper coat'  It also lubes the threads on the bolts.

Another good product is Ams oil MP metal protectant. Also doubles as a chain lube.  I sprayed one half of an old lawnmower blade to see how good it was. That was in July. The half that I did not spray has a thick layer of rust on it. The sprayed half is like new! It dries into a hard wax and I think it has zinc in it. I'm sold on this product!

SteveU.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 03:31:59 AM »
Stan
I used many products over the years. Most were proprietary and not available to you.
 None worked any better than any common grease.
What must be understood is the root of the problem is the acid vapors rising up along the terminal post where the moulded case material  has become unbonded from the terminal.
 To clean: common baking soda in warm water and a tooth brush is the best and cheapest. It's fully neutralized when the fizzing stops. Rinse off thoroughly with water.

Wool felt terminal pads underneath the cable ends when impregnated with whatever glop you chose to use WILL seal off the acid vapors and stop the corrosion problem.
 I've done this for years successfully using many different kinds of NON-Drying/brushable (gooey) products.

Got an old wool hat you're willing to sacrifice?

P.S. Battery acid has the uncanny ability to seek out cotton. Especially pants and shirts. How holey art thou now?

SteveU.
Use it up. Wear it out. Make Do, or Do Without.
 Electrodyne 12vdc. AC MeccAlte 8.5kw
John Deere 950 w/Yammar 3cyl IDI; Peterson 21" sawmill w/20hp Kohler v-twin; four Stilh chainsaws,  Stilh weedeaters; various Kohler, Onan, Honda, Briggs, Tecumseh singles.

Stan

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 04:06:04 AM »
Thanks Steve, The felt gasket idea is great!

Thanks Dave, have you ever heard of a product called "Boeshield T-9"  Your comment about leaving a wax jagged my memory cells.   Its a metal protectant and lubricant.  I bought some from Lee Valley Tools to protect my carving tools and it's been great at that.  It was developed by the Boeing company and it leaves a wax residue to protect the metal from oxygen.  I wonder if it would work?
Stan

addition:   It looks like it will work "high dielectric"  http://www.boeshieldcanada.com/PR10.php
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 04:45:07 AM by Stan »

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 09:41:51 AM »
KISS.  Vaseline.  Cheap, cheerful and easily removeable/replaceable.

Just remember those cans are really not good value for money.  The manufacturers  make as much profit as possible by selling you what will be an expensive empty can, sooner or later.  Less product and higher price.  Called 'added value'.  Akin to drug dealers 'cutting' their wares before selling them on.

There are, of course, some good products in a spray can.  Use them when appropriate, otherwise get your fingers dirty and wash them afterwards.

Regards, RAB

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 11:46:03 AM »
There are several brands of specific Battery Terminal grease in the uk. These are formulated to neutralise acid and some have an indicator which changes the colour of the grease when acid is present. Try a local auto store , I'm sure they will have one. Bosch have a product that may be available over there.
I've used this on motorcycle batteries for years as they are a particular problem in this respect , has always been effective in preventing the issue.
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 04:52:24 PM »
Check this out , http://www.corrosionx.com/
Apparently the "Heavy Duty" version is a miraculous product , not only for the battery terminal application but corrosion protection in general.
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

Stan

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 04:58:09 PM »
I agree Richard...most spray can products are a rip off.  I once read that in a spray can of paint, there is less than 1 oz of actual paint, the rest is only propellant.  That's not very much value for money.

The Boeing product however comes in liquid as well as spray on format and the liquid is easy to wipe/brush on.  I think I"m going to try 3 cells with the boeing product and the other 3 with vaseline.  (can't help the scientist part of me leaking out sometimes  :-[
Stan

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 06:17:14 PM »
To clean: common baking soda in warm water and a tooth brush is the best and cheapest. It's fully neutralized when the fizzing stops. Rinse off thoroughly with water.

I used to do this very practice but was cautioned by my automobile battery, generator, alternator guru that the soda can cause battery problems if it get inside the case (like through a leaky terminal).  I just use tap water now for cleaning.  I do miss the ease of the soda and the Mr. Science experience of the show as the acid and soda come in contact with one another.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

diesel guy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 06:33:48 PM »
I' with Tom and RAB. I used Vaseline for years and it's works great. I leave a 1/4" layer over the entire post and terminals.

Diesel Guy