Author Topic: Launtop 4kw Diesel Generator  (Read 16297 times)

Veggiefuel

• Energy Machines Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Energy Machines Ltd.
Launtop 4kw Diesel Generator
« on: December 29, 2008, 09:39:07 PM »
Hi Guys,

Ok, maybe not a "slow speed" diesel, but how about a "SLOWER" speed diesel!
I used a 10HP air cooled Chinese Launtop FA186 and slowed it down from 3600rpm to 2500 rpm and coupled it to a 4kw generator head.
These are the diesels that can be bought at Princess Auto (and other places on the web) for around $500 when on sale.
For anyone who is interested in learning more about this project, go to my website and scroll down to the "Launtop 4KW Generator Project" link.
There is also a video of the unit being tested on a 2500w load.

The plan is to eventually get it running on WVO.

Here's the link...
www.logicworks.ca

Cheers,
Veggie
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 09:44:41 PM by Veggiefuel »
GM90 engines, Changfa's, Voltmaster Generators, Pellet Mills - www.energymachines.ca

Stan

Re: Launtop 4kw Diesel Generator
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 10:07:18 PM »
Looks like a nice little unit!  Congrats!  Do you have a ball park figure on total cost?  It sure looks like it will outlast a brignscrapm hdepot special  ::)
Stan

Veggiefuel

• Energy Machines Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Energy Machines Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 11:07:32 PM »
Hi Stan,

Engine +/-$500 on sale
Gen Head $495 (Princess auto)
Belt drive and Slide base $100
Fabrication and assembly $150

Total $1245.00

I think it could reliably charge a battery bank at 30 amps for 3-4 hours per day for a good many years.
Good backup for a Changfa with a hybrid battery solar setup.

Cheers,
Veggie
GM90 engines, Changfa's, Voltmaster Generators, Pellet Mills - www.energymachines.ca

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 04:29:01 PM »

I looked at those engines yesterday at Princess Auto. $499 for the 10hp. Not a bad price!

M61hops

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 10:25:43 PM »
Hi Vegifuel, you made a really nice looking unit there!  How is that engine for vibration?  I bought a similar engine from a place called Carol Stream Motor Company intending to make a diesel powered motorcycle.  Unfortunately the motor shakes so hard I would not be able to ride the bike and the seller wouldn't take it back saying that this amount of vibration was "normal for diesels".  If I made a generator set that only weighed what yours looks to with my motor it would be jumping in the air  :o !  I have to bolt my motor to at least 500lbs to hold it somewhat in place!  At first I thought maybe the crankshaft was bent but the flywheel only has about 1.5 thousandth of an inch runout so I don't know why it vibrates so much.  I'm going to try adding a 30lb pulley to the output side of the crank  and belt it to an STgenhead to see what that does but I feel like I wasted $500 bucks because this motor seems like it will tear up anything I bolt it to  ??? !  Your Launtop looks like it runs pretty smooth?    Leland
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!

Veggiefuel

• Energy Machines Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Energy Machines Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 02:27:43 AM »
Hi Leland,

I'm not familiar with engines from the company you mentioned. They look the same, but their 10HP units are 406CC and the Launtop (mine) is a 418CC.
My generator does not vibrate excessively, or any greater than my 10HP Briggs gas engine.
The operating speed is also important. At 3600 rpm, there should be very little vibration.
Mine runs at 2500 and still seems ok. If I slow it down below 2400 rpm, the lower frequency pulses would probably be quite noticeable.

For comparison, you may wish to look at these two videos of people running these diesels as stand-alone, unmounted units.
The vibration seems comparable to a single cylinder gasoline engine.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm4WfH6v004&feature=related

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwB-A4mX1GY

I would love to see an ST-5 driven by one of these engines.
Good luck with that, and please draw from the forum if we can help.
Pictures when done please  :)

Cheers,
Veggie

« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 02:29:18 AM by Veggiefuel »

M61hops

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 08:31:04 AM »
Thanks and cheers to you veggie!  My motor looks like the yellow one but if I started it like in these vidios I wouldn't be able to hold on to it and it would thrash itself to pieces!  I will check the timing when I get it belted to a genhead, maybe it's too advanced; something is way off with my motor.          Leland
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!

Fairmountvewe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 03:43:14 PM »
I would love to see an ST-5 driven by one of these engines.

You mean like this?

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, cooperate, solve equations, analyze a new problem, and pitch manure. Specialization is for insects.

Wizard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 04:13:38 PM »
This still convices me to look at the changfa and lister engine instead of this shaking to bit screamers.

Does these 3.3, 6.6hp changfa have balance shafts or only found in larger brothers of changfas?

Cheers, Wizard

Veggiefuel

• Energy Machines Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Energy Machines Ltd.
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 05:26:30 PM »
Fairmountvewe,

Yep, just like that !

Thanks for the pictures.
From the look of the belt drive, you are running the engine around 2500 rpm. Is this correct?
How many hours of use would you estimate are on the engine?

Veggie
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 05:30:27 PM by Veggiefuel »

Fairmountvewe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 05:54:01 PM »
The engine runs at around 2800 - 3000 rpm (if I figured out the pulley sizes right).  I used the same hp/torque graph you did, but mine came from Yanmar.  I have had 1500w on each 120v leg simultaneously and 4000w on the 220v.  All reactive loads (heaters).  The motor itself was donated to the cause by a friend of mine.  I have no idea how many hours are on it, but it spent it's previous life as a hot water pressure washer with the armed forces in Bosnia so........We have it on the farm as stand-by power , but we have probably only put 5 hours on it at the most. Darn reliable utility!  The ST5 came from John F and is going to end up on the 12/2 someday.  I think the Yanmar will end up on an oil-seed press, but like a lot of projects around here, only time will tell.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, cooperate, solve equations, analyze a new problem, and pitch manure. Specialization is for insects.

Geno

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 10:53:45 PM »
I have one of the 4hp Yanmar clones, a Kama to be exact. I got it cheap but it came with no air cleaner, fuel tank or muffler. Can't find parts anywhere in the US and I'm sure real Yanmar parts are a lot more expensive. Are there many dealers that sell these clones in Canada? Any names or websites would be helpful. I'll have some off grid property soon and I want a little engine I can move around and mount on several things. Generator, table saw, wood splitter, water pump and who knows what else.

Thanks, Geno

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 02:53:11 AM »
generally the changfa 185 and up have the balance shafts, everything under that does not

the 185 is rated at 9hp i believe, about the size of engine that is able to get some work done.

thats not to say the smaller changfa's aren't downright useful in their own right,

i still want to connect a 175 watercooled to a 160amp alternator, with a couple of heat exchangers
for charging batteries and making enough hot water for domestic use, wash and maybe a hot shower.

my 175's are handcrank starts, would really like them to be electric but didn't get that option.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Veggiefuel

• Energy Machines Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Energy Machines Ltd.
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 03:49:05 AM »
Hi Geno,

This fellow claims to carry parts for originals and clone engines.
I'm not aware of any dealers in Canada.

For us Changfa owners, this store carries pistons, rings, heads, crankshafts, etc....
Look at the headings down the left side of the page.

http://stores.ebay.com/PARTS-MAN-SMALL-ENGINE-STORES_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZQ2d33QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Veggie
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 03:51:50 AM by Veggiefuel »

Geno

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 10:12:39 PM »
Thanks, the website looks promising. I'll email him.

Geno