Author Topic: Firewood Splitters  (Read 22582 times)

SteveU.

• View Profile
Firewood Splitters
« on: December 28, 2008, 10:30:08 PM »
Good Morning

We'd been talking on another thread off topic about firewood log-splitting.
Until this year all of my life I've enjoyed hand splitting. Knots and crotches that wouldn't split were ripped with a chainsaw.  And yes, due to the amount of energy needed and the sometimes unpredictable nature of wood popping apart I've managed to injure my self more than once. But now due to age I'm just not able to keep at it longer than 2 hours a day. Needed more productivity.

Researching power splitters I came up with three types:

Spiral/Screw    see  http://thestickler.com
Has a playable vidio. Was too slow and in my judgement too dangerous. That demo round he was working on was only a nine whack(swing) to chunk up and I would not have had to be  bent over to do it. What I needed was something to do knot wood,  crotches and 150 pound 1/4 block butt chunks. I just see could see a chunk screwed on and swinging around off center and off balanced while I ran to shut down the motor. All of the wood has to be moved to the splitter. To much wood movement.

Flywheel type. You can find video and plans to make these out of old square bale hay balers. A commercial version at:
http://www.supersplit.com    Has a playable vidio.
The hay baler types are scary. The splitting ram is coming around once per revolution whether you are ready or not.
The commercial version is engable /disengable, and small and light enough to move to the wood. All of the wood blocks have to be lifted up onto the table. And it does seem kinnda expensive.
The gear rack and pinion teeth look to be the weak point and proprietary parts.

Hydraulic type. There are many types and brands. After renting/trying different brands and sizes I bought a 10.5 HP, 34 Ton, 15 Second  cycle time with both a vertical and horizonal bed from SpeeCo manufacturing: 
 Â www.speeco.com/products/
Anything slower was too slow. Needed this much force to cleave through the 6" limb knots, works great. I can do the heavy blocks on the ground vertically and the fine splitting horizontally  while standing up with a wheel barrel positioned as a catch basin.
Yeah, it is capable of mashing, smashing, amputating fingers and hands.
Did a great job crushing wheels out of the insides of junk tires. I like it.

SteveU.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 02:36:24 AM by SteveU. »
Use it up. Wear it out. Make Do, or Do Without.
 Electrodyne 12vdc. AC MeccAlte 8.5kw
John Deere 950 w/Yammar 3cyl IDI; Peterson 21" sawmill w/20hp Kohler v-twin; four Stilh chainsaws,  Stilh weedeaters; various Kohler, Onan, Honda, Briggs, Tecumseh singles.

adhall

• View Profile
Re: Firewood Splitters
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 11:07:49 PM »
SteveU:

I've been thinking about getting a splitter myself and for many of the same reasons. I am looking at very seriously at buying one of these:

http://www.split-fire.com/

It splits in both directions. I haven't had a chance to try one yet, but I've read some very good feedback about it on several websites and I like the concept. One downside is that it only works as a horizontal splitter. I don't like vertical splitters, so that doesn't concern me.

Nothern Tool sells a cheaper version of a similar type:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200365526_200365526

I don't like the look of this one as well as the Split-Fire, but the price is somewhat lower. I've read several positive reviews on it, too.

Regarding the flywheel type splitters:
I saw one at the Lynden, WA (USA) tractor show this summer. It was powered by a small steam engine via a flat belt. Sorry I didn't get a picture. It made me very nervous as I watched a man risk life and limb using it. And I don't think it would do well with knotty wood. The wood pretty much has to pop apart on the first try. Most of the wood I get isn't made that way--hence the need for a hydraulic splitter. On the other hand, this splitter is much faster than any hydraulic one.

Best regards,
Andy Hall

JKSon 6/1, 5 kW ST Head, 1992 Dodge RAM Cummins 5.9L Turbodiesel, 2001 VW TDI 1.9L Turbodiesel, 2006 Jeep CRD Turbodiesel, Yanmar FX22D Diesel Tractor

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 11:12:31 PM »
Bend over, pick up log, split it, bend over pick up 2 pcs. There has to be a better design. I would be inclined to design my own that would have a catcher on it to keep your splits up at working height. save a lot of energy
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

adhall

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 11:48:33 PM »
Contaucreek:

No, that's not how I do it. I use a (rented) splitter that has platforms on either side of the beam to catch the split pieces--they don't fall to the ground.

My sequence is: Pick round off wheelbarrow #1, place in splitter, split, pick pieces off of side platforms, toss pieces into wheelbarrow #2, repeat ('til Hell freezes ;)). Everything takes place at about the same height.

If you look closely at the Split-Fire pictures you will see that it has platforms, too. The Northern Tool splitter has them as an option. I don't like to use a horizontal splitter without them.

Best regards,
Andy Hall
JKSon 6/1, 5 kW ST Head, 1992 Dodge RAM Cummins 5.9L Turbodiesel, 2001 VW TDI 1.9L Turbodiesel, 2006 Jeep CRD Turbodiesel, Yanmar FX22D Diesel Tractor

unimogr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 02:59:47 AM »

I read about a guy who built his own splitter or as he called it, a wood extruder and he says it takes three people to keep it running at full speed.  He included a couple pictures, I think the table on top idea is pretty smart.  It's the last posting on this page:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/133037-log-splitter-wedge-design.html

Jason

SteveU.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 09:33:09 PM »
Interesting links Gentlemen, thanks.

I initially wanted a three point tractor powered/mounted unit.  Calculated the tractor hydraulic system would have been too small resulting in too slow at only 22 second cycle time,  and too weak at only 12 tons for my needs. If you do this be sure and do some basic hydraulics math.

I ended up with what I got because the 5"x24" cylinder gave the splitting power I wanted and the pump size and engine horsepower gave the minimum acceptable cycle time at 14 seconds. When it went on discounted sell at the local AG store for will-call pick up that's what cinched it for me. Unlike most all of my Listeriod project: no freight costs. Was $1200. USD total. Little over  a buck a pound.
Yes, I wish it was still faster. I wish it had a hydraulic lift table when used in the horizontal position. I wish it had the engine idle back feature on some of the more expensive machines. And I really wished the splitting wedge was 12" high instead of the 8" I have.
Three of these wishes I can build onto it.

Andy, I really like the that Split-Fire design you posted. Bidirectional splitting would cut the cycle time in half, and double the thru-put if a fella' could keep up. Optional hydraulic lifter and a 12" wedge too. Nice and open at the working end too. Worth saving up for and having shipped in. You'd be the envy of all us wood-butchers.

Regards
SteveU.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 09:36:23 PM by SteveU. »
John Deere 950 w/Yammar 3cyl IDI; Peterson 21" sawmill w/20hp Kohler v-twin; four Stilh chainsaws,  Stilh weedeaters; various Kohler, Onan, Honda, Briggs, Tecumseh singles.

adhall

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 05:41:15 AM »
SteveU,

With encouragement from my wife (everybody should enjoy the benefits of having a powerful financial backer  ;D), I just sent to the manufacturer for a price quote on a Split-Fire. It will be interesting to see what they actually go for. There is also the problem of shipping from Ontario, CA to Washington, USA. I'm hoping they have a dealer in British Columbia so I could drive up there and pick it up. I wonder what Customs would think if I came back over the border pull a log splitter.

On the other hand, I just calculated I can build my own for roughly $1500 USD...

Best regards,
Andy Hall

adhall

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 05:58:22 AM »
Geeze, the stuff you can find on youtube!

I just stumbled onto a video of the very steam powered wood splitter that I saw in the flesh at Lynden, WA (USA) last summer. Here's the link to the clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX0JXybkcB4&feature=related

Too bad they didn't show the steam engine and the boiler. By the way, the wood being split is to fire the boiler that powers the steam engine and also the steam forging hammer  ;D (count your fingers when you're done...)

Best regards,
Andy Hall

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 07:17:48 AM »
While you count your fingers - here's a video of a person having been de-boned.  And still alive.
 creepy.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZNWEXEka60&NR=1

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 04:40:35 PM »
I got the Nothern Tool 37 ton splitter a couple of years ago. I think they are $1895 right now.
It has a Honda engine with idle control. I'm totally satisfied with it's ability to crush any wood that just won't split.
However the hoses are cheap cr*p. The return hose has been trimmed many times, and I'll soon have to make up a decent replacement.
It's not quite too heavy to roll around the yard. The more substantial frames on the North American / Canadian built splitters look solid and inspire confidence, but I bet they are a bit too heavy for a single guy to push around the wood lot alone.
Until I read SteveU's post, I only thought of it as a log splitter. "Did a great job crushing wheels out of the insides of junk tires. I like it."
This thing would also serve as an arbour press! The possibilities! Might need to design up some new heads for the ram?
About tabletop splitting: I find that pieces of wood about 35 pounds are easily split horizontally, from the wheelbarrow or pickup bed, across the splitter to the cart, then off to the wood rick for drying. Big rounds work best with the ram in the vertical postion.
Whenever I start it up, the wife comes a running. She loves to help me split the wood. I guess it's part of that 'togetherness' thing.
I burn the wood in a Quadrafire 7100 fireplace. It heats the whole house, so the furnace has not come on yet this winter. All that 'Free Wood' has kept me from burning up a $2000 tank of oil (although oil prices have come down now); and given me some needed excersize.
Now I'm looking for a mini generator, just enough too run the fireplace blower fan and a room fan. (during a power outage) That's for nightime when you're sleeping and don't need to run the big Lister.
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

mkdutchman

• mkdutchman at gmail dot com
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 05:07:54 PM »
homemade redneck wood splitter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40sCGb678sQ

Ties my stomach up in knots just from watching.......

SteveU.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 10:17:05 PM »
Yep, some of those YouTube videos are frightening. Especially the ones with munched fingers and hands. Especially when you've seen it in real life, looked down, and it was your own hand. (I was young, it was a shop built pneumatic pole shoe press, a hot summer afternoon and I was still a bit high from cleaning out the 40 gallon heated Triclorethylene degreasing tank.)
Hurt like hell after the initial shock wears off.

Shipchief I really like my new Quadrafire freestanding woodstove. Burns much better/cleaner than my previous Norwegian Jotuls.  I now tell everyone to Not buy a single air control solid wood burning device. Just installed a Quadrafire 3400i insert in the folkes house (now a rental) next door. Does a fine job in that 1500 square feet attic only insulated house for the renters with the internal blower fan.

My made in Texas SpeeCo splitter weighs about 700lbs (340kg) and with the larger highspeed tires is hand moveable if the ground isn't too rough. I like to rough split vertically where the trees are dropped and cut; rick in place to outside dry and only later horizontally fine split in the wood shed as its being wheelbarrowed to go up to the house. Cuts down on the piece handling and gives me some undercover winter exercise. Most of my wood customers want it bigger chunked any way.

SteveU.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 02:50:58 AM by SteveU. »

Stan

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 02:11:59 AM »
Shipchief.....My wife and I were camping a couple of years ago in a nice quiet wooded campground on the shores of Kootenay lake, and happened upon a couple in a camper.  We got to talking and sat down by their fire chatting with them.  After an hour or so I thought I heard something running in their camper and asked them what it was.  It was the dishwasher!  I wondered how they could have a dishwasher running without a generator and they walked me around to the other side of their camper and they had a Honda EU series (I think it was a little 1000IC2) inverter generator sitting there happily humming away.  You literally couldn't hear it from 15 feet away sitting in a dead quiet campground.  Google it, they are not cheap but for peace of mind and lots of features, they had me sold.
Stan

SteveU.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 03:53:42 AM »
Hello Jens

Woodstoves like automobiles are designed for local government requirements. So what I'm familiar with may be different then what you have even if it was the same brand. Kinnda like Japanese Hondas are specced different there than in the UK, than USA, than in Africa.
Shipchief and I live in the state of Washington, USA. Our state has the most restrictive emissions wood heating laws of anywhere in the US and probably the world.

Quadrafire is a small manufacturer located in NE Washington just south of the Canadian border.
Their stoves burn in four zones instead of just two. They have four ways to introduce air for combustion; two are controllable.(Three using the ash door as I will sometimes do.)
Consequently I can burn a wider range of small to large fires with a wider range of wood types at a wider range of wetness and it will ALL burn cleanly as long as I DO my part. I burnt up some  3 year old Cottonwood last year, and a cord of my "wood" this year is fir bark. My door glasses are always burnt clean.
I haven't had to clean the tall stove pipe in our two story farmhouse in the 10 years since it was installed.  I DO have to clean out neighbors and customers chimneys at least annually and some again in mid-winter due to soot and creosote clogging build up. Smoke is wasted potential heat thrown away. Chimney fires are scary, dangerous and destructive.

So if your glass is staying burnt off and your chimney isn't clogging up; what you are doing, with what you have, is fine.

Stay warm and dry
SteveU.

Stan

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 04:13:25 AM »
Steve...It only took the purchase of 1 huge Valley comfort auto dampening wood furnace, 1 winter's wood supply that was less than dry and 1 chimney fire to teach me!  Bone dry wood, burned in a small wood burning stove kept very hot, will always keep your chimney clean!  End of story!  It doesn't matter what kind of wood you burn, or what the local rules and regulations are, if you follow those 2 rules you will be fine because your neighbours won't even know you burn wood.
Stan

Oh yah....you should really keep the run of the stove pipe from the stove to the chimney really really short also.