Puppeteer

Author Topic: Tools????///  (Read 5262 times)

Dail R H

• View Profile
Tools????///
« on: December 28, 2008, 02:39:32 PM »
   Any special tools I need to work on my engine when I get back to WV? I have plenty of wrenches /n stuff. I know I'll need some feeler guages and a good straightedge.
                     Thanks Dail

oliver90owner

• View Profile
Re: Tools????///
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 03:57:50 PM »
You can use your torque wrench, dial gauge, micrometer, plastiguage etc if you wish.  Just remember these engines were built and maintained when these items were never heard of by the average operator.  They were able to service and maintain them with the basic tools of the day.  You could do now.....yeah, spanners and feler guages are probably the minimum required.

Regards, RAB

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 04:24:43 PM »
Fresh head gasket, cylinder shim material and a way to cut/peen it out. have all torque specs you need. Varsol to clean parts, hand acctuated oil can, ring compressor maybe (I have done it without). Air compressor big plus to clean out oil lines.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

rocketboy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 02:22:44 AM »
A BIG HAMMER.
Sadly, artificial intelligence will never be a match for natural stupidiy.

reno-speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 06:20:09 AM »
Depends how far you want to go.  One of George's golightly tools for pulling the valve lifter guides is nice and a gib key puller is indespensable if you have to pull the crank.  Keep the hammer away for the bearings!

Stan

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 10:55:57 PM »
Common sense and a head for safety!  ???
Stan

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 11:46:08 PM »
A BIG HAMMER.
Now here is someone who talks from experience.Although in the UK there called screwdrivers.

Dail R H

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 01:39:09 AM »
   Will probably leave sometime tomorrow to head back to WV. Owner got there today with sil electrician,"street corner" trim carpenter,and a coupla delinquint child laborers. Man I love my job. They'll be there a week,the carpenter two I think. Probably take me a coupla months to straighten out the disaster they create.
   Gonna try to get the indian home,and at least looked into. Most likely be a few days before I get a chance to get back on.

Dail