Author Topic: "PETTERCLONES"  (Read 14235 times)

hotater

• View Profile
"PETTERCLONES"
« on: December 05, 2005, 08:38:18 PM »
Listeroids and Petterclones have taken over my shop!!

I just wanted to open up a discussion on the mini-Petter engines that are just as neat as the larger cousins.  Fly wheels are flywheels no matter what they're hooked to.

I have a few of these engines and have 'been in the chittlins' of them and MIGHT be able to answer questions if anybody has them.
  I promise, if I 'don't know'  I'll say that FIRST.  ::)
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

rgroves

• View Profile
    • Flint Hills Diesel
Re: "PETTERCLONES"
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 03:38:30 AM »
Hi, I'm new to the forum.  Have a bad habit of accumulating engines, too. So among my archives is a new 3.5 Mini-Petter pumpset. I uncrated it some time ago, then learned about the governor problems these have had and so I haven't yet fired it up. I'm getting close to finishing my engine shed mounting pads and i'll have a place to bolt down all sorts of stuff. One thing I hope to get running is that sweet little MP. Sounds like I'll need to tear into the governor and work on it first, something i've never done before. Do you have any tips for me?

Your suggestion for harvesting the waste heat got me thinking. I have a cistern, ten feet from the house. it's 8 feet in diameter, 25 feet deep. What would happen if i pumped it dry, lined it with spray foam insulation and made a huge Thermos bottle out of it? Could store a lot of BTU's in that much water.

Just because I thought you'd enjoy the depths of my madness. My engine shed is an old milking parlor in one end of my barn. It had a good bit of concrete poured to take the waste away from the critters as they were milked. I cleaned out Lord knows how much manure and straw, then filled the trenches with railroad ties bedded in gravel screenings under and between the individual ties. I'm building 5 pads, next to each other but not connected. Each pad will be 5' x 7', topped with 3x12 oak bridge plank. at 90 degrees to the railroad ties. So the whole sandwich will be more than a foot thick, bedded in tamped gravel. Should let me mount a lot of engines, running several at once without the vibration translating from one to the other and isolated from the building as well.

I've been taking photos, and I'll put some of them up when it's done.

Thanks.

rg
A country boy can survive - Hank Williams Jr.

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 04:13:48 AM »
I  *KNOW* the feeling about the accumulation of engines!!  LOL
Welcome....

The MP is a snap.  All that I've found necessary is to adjust the angle of
the end of the rack to the nut on the governor rod.  Look straight down
on that contact and directly from the front.  You want the two of them
to be centered with the engine running.  you'll have to bend the
governor rod to do it. I do it with an oxy-cetelene torch and a crescent
wrench (being the lazy type).  You also want the angle between the two
to be 90deg when running.  Once you get that, remove the bolt taking
note of how many threads or mark the first thread outside the nut with a
file.   POLISH that bolt head and make sure the end of the rack that
contacts it is also rounded and polished so they'll slide well together.
I've toyed with the idea of case-hardening the head if it shows any sign
of soft 'gummy-ness'. Put some thick weatherproof grease on the face.

There were some run-a-way MPs that would just scare the flies off a dead
goat.!  I have one here that would work faithfully until it lost a load
a little too quick and off it'd go.  The end of the rack was sharp and
the bolt head it bore against was rough and the angle was wrong.  It put
the governor rod in a bind so it would only go more 'open'....and it did.
the above fix was done and it's run faithfully since.

ONE NOTE---  I found one engine that had the nut welded in the wrong place and no matter how the rod was bent it came up short of where it needed to be.  REALIZING that if that weld breaks the engine WILL go to 'full auto mode', I made a part that was set screwed then silver soldered on the governor rod.  It was drilled and tapped at the proper angle for the adjuster bolt to line up with the rack.

NEAT engines!!  The pump sets are low lift, low pressure (18psi), high volume turbines.  I'm betting they're used to transfer water from a ditch to the fields

I like the cistern idea.  You might find a tank that would fit the hole with room left over for straw bales all around for insulation.  It'd be a nice heat sink for other uses.

I need to see pictures of those engine mounts. I think that'll work!  Oak bridge planks?  They price such a thing like cabinet wood out here!!
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

rgroves

• View Profile
    • Flint Hills Diesel
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 01:29:48 PM »
This sounds like a fix simple enough that a newby like me could hack it. Thank you for the info.
The MP's are great looking little guys.  I'lm looking forward to doing real work with fuel flows measured in ounces per hour.
I think they'd be a great small field irrigation pump.  If they can support suction lift like other centrifugal pumps,  I'll use one to pull from my lower well and deliver water to gardens and my tree plantings.  The well has static water at 10 feet, bottom of the well is 20 feet down.  It's hand dug, cased with limestone all the way down, and about 3 feet in diameter.  The upper well is made the same way, but it's ten feet higher so static water starts at 20 feet.  Both dug during the Dust Bowl 30's when this was a horse powered livestock and grain farm.
A country boy can survive - Hank Williams Jr.

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 12:53:59 AM »
just a few words on the 3 hp mini petter/ hotater is correct on the alignment of the governor arm/ it has to be correct and not binding/ I have 3 petters and the difference in them is amazing. I have 2 of the 3 hp and 1 of the 5 hp/one 3 hp and the 5 hp are made by one co. and work flawless but the other 3 hp petter is made by another co.and is almost a danger to be around/ I would never run it around people or with the air cleaner on. the first time one of these run away.. you know what fear is. you can not stop a diesel buy turning the switch off.that is the reason i run it with the air cleaner off and a rag to stuff in the air intake.. everything on it either leaks or falls off/ the fuel line are a joke/ that braided surface only hides the problems/grind those things off and get a new hose for it/ the other 2 petters are made by g.g. gear of bombay and are a pleasure too run/ nothing leaks or falls off and start the first time and will run all day/but I will keep the other one for spare parts.I could never sell something that dangerious to some one/ also I have an 8 hp lister also by gg gear/believe it or not I have it mounted on a 5by 10 trailer and I am able to run it and with out too much bounce. after it gets warm, it will purr all day ,the only work it does is pull a corn mill at times/..but it is a pleasue to run/I have had it 6 years and have done very little to it..just the usual bad fuel tank/but it was easy to correct//. I guss it would be a lot different it I had to depend on it 18 hours a day for power. now I only use mine for fun.. still love to hear them run.
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 03:55:43 AM »
Welcome Sid!  Good to have you.  Post a picture of that cute engine on the cart.  Neat job!

You are certainly right about how scary a runaway MP is.  I've had it several times in trying to figure out how to prevent it.  In fact, one engine still has a long lanyard I put on the throttle bar to shut it down by 'remote control'.

The governor on the MP is considerably more simplified and shur-fire than the Listeroids, BUT they screw up the linkage leverages with rough and mis-oriented parts and cause  a problem.

At least it looks like the quality is coming up now...there will be a 'classic Indian engine time' coming soon when all the parts are finally made exactly right and will last two forevers...then, about a year later, the bean counters will demand sheet metal and plastic...... :(

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 04:22:06 AM »
 Jack.. good to hear from you// I will post a picture of that mp and also of the lister on the trailer in  a few days/ had a computer crash a few days ago and lost a lot of my pictures// i still have some save on my digital cards/ also some of these people might want to hear about your skunk adventure//sid
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 04:01:18 AM »
finally got a picture of the mini petter and cart posted // it only took 3 days and plenty of help from (lgsracer). with out his help I never would haved broke the code to up load pictures..  this is the engine made by lg gear and it run very smooth. the cart does not shake or move until it is stopped and then it shakes a little// sid
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

Doug

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 04:05:13 AM »
WHo is "GG Gear"?

I guess at this point everyone here has read about or Emailed Anand about Listers. But do they make a respectable Petter?
Can anyone point me to some good manuals and technical information on the 10 hp 1800 rpm Petters?

A Lister is just a little too stationary for the trip to my Camp.....

Doug

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 06:25:11 PM »
I have a spec sheet for the 10 hp petter and gg gear address if you need it/ I will not post it here/ I do not sell anything so I do not want to advertise a company/ I was just lucky or unluck to end up with 3 petters from 2 different sources/and the manual has the spec for most hp. the petter does have a lot of weight saving on the lister but they still are hard to move around/my e mail is sidramey@aol.com//
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

ronsmith

• View Profile
    • Bentleybranch studio
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 08:57:56 PM »
I am using a 3.5 minipetter as generator to charge mt battery bank. I was running waste motor oil for a while but it burned too smokey so now I use used hydraulic oil I get for free in it. Its runs much cleaner. Have not had any problems out of it YET!, but from reading these posts you guys are scaring the hell out of me concerning a runaway petter! I guess the rag stuff in air cleaner is the only way I could shut mine down quickly. I need to install a fuel shutoff. You are right concerning the fuel lines , they suck. :o

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 11:50:22 PM »
you will love your first runaway//after you change clothes you will feel much better.. what serial # do you have//and what brand//
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

ronsmith

• View Profile
    • Bentleybranch studio
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2006, 01:44:46 AM »
Dont have serial # off hand but its an ashwamegh, I got it through George at utterpower.com  I am running a 70amp delco alt. with it. to charge my battery bank.

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2006, 02:16:37 AM »
if you have a few hours on it ,,it should be working properly// just make sure the throtle arm moves and touches the fuel rail on the injector correctly// they usually bind and jam.just follow the last post on how to adj, them and it should be o.k...check it each time before you start it.. sid
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

Doug

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2006, 03:29:18 AM »
Hey Sid:
Some of the Petter engines have different fly wheel options....

For example some offer a light weight pump, heavier general purpose and a heavier still generator fly wheel.
What do you think of that?

Doug