Author Topic: 6/1 Engine Rebuild Spec's  (Read 12115 times)

Montana

• View Profile
6/1 Engine Rebuild Spec's
« on: December 15, 2008, 04:22:38 AM »
Well I have started to tear down the Omega 6/1 to check it out.  When I start to put it back together I would like some torque spec's for the critical Items, head bolts, rod caps ect.  Is there a source of information or a pdf file that can be had with this info? 
Thanks
Mike
Totally off Grid and Loving It :)
Omega 6/1
Powerline 12/1 7.5kw ST Generator

Stan

Re: 6/1 Engine Rebuild Spec's
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 04:45:18 AM »
I don't know about Omega's, maybe your dealer can help you there, but Dursley Listers' head nuts (the 3/4" ones) are torqued to 100 ft lbs, and big end nuts to 75 or 76 ft lbs.
Stan

matt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 09:37:15 PM »
Hi Montana,

Get the Utterpower CD and/or the Kit Engine Report (parts 1-3)  by Quinn on the Utterpower web site.

(Quinn I am curious about part 4. Willl it ever come? I want to know what you did with your flywheels!!)

Also, download and print out the original 1970 CS manual from Rocketboy's website.

I printed it out on the printer's double-sided setting, and then bound it all together with the binding machine we have at work.
Looks great and is very handy when rebuilding.

All torque settings etc will be found in these places, as well as a great deal of helpful hints for rebuilding a Listeroid.

Hope you have fun with your new toy!!

regards,
Matt

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 11:25:56 AM »
Stan, recheck big end spec. IIRC 55 ft lbs sounds right for a 6 hp LISTER CS rod bearing. Former member Peter Forbes "listerdiesel" has a section on his Lister site devoted to torque specs for BSW stuff.....if it's still available.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

Stan

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 04:09:43 PM »
I've got my notes from Peters site (before he took it down) and they say that for engine type 5,1  6,1   10,2   12,2   Table ref E for big end nuts.  Table ref E... under Engine Bolt Ref it states 1/2" Whitworth thread X 12 BSW torques at 75 - 78 lbs-ft or 10.35 - 10.76 kp/m.

Anyone else who took notes from Peter's table should weigh in here because I could have made a mistake.  (I did once   ::) )
Stan

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 05:15:46 PM »
Listeroid specs can be found at http://www.utterpower.com/lister_s.htm.  But these numbers should be used only for 'roids.  The original British-built Listers have different numbers in some cases.  One being the cylinder head nut torque.  Having 7 head studs, the original Listers don't need as much torque to hold the head in place as do the Indian 'roids.  So you have to be careful using torque values from the information Peter provided for an Indian engine.

Matt, Part IV is sort of on hold.  When I discovered that the engine couldn't really be balanced, I found I didn't have enough to say about the flywheels to justify writing anything more.  I spent a few weeks of afternoons grinding the surfaces of the castings smooth, then primed and painted it to improve the engine's appearance.  It's sitting in a corner of my garage now. 

Quinn
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 10:59:46 AM »
True enough Quinnf. I tried to accentuate the fact I was referring to a Lister engine not an Indian Lister pattern engine. We do need to be carefull... ::)
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 04:34:47 PM »
Yes, not to belabor the point, but a while back someone asked for head nut torques, someone else responded with the correct value for a 'roid, someone else came in and said, "No that's all wrong, here are the figures from Peter's page,"  and there was some confusion.  I didn't want that to happen again and have someone torque off a stud, or strip threads.  So sometimes it's worth while to restate what many folks already know for the benefit of those who don't.

Quinn
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

Montana

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 04:41:21 PM »
Thanks all for the info.  I didnt realize that there was such a difference between the original Lister CS and the Roids.  I bought the CD from utterpower.com.  Have been reading thru it but didnt see the tork specks yet.
I have started the tear down.  Its going slow as the temp in the basement  is cold (out side temp -17F right now at 9am).  Thanks to Phil at CMD for getting the parts that I needed
that didnt come with the engine.
Omega 6/1

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 08:44:59 PM »
Montana

How did you get on with the jerk that tried to scam you?  Let us all know so that when it happens again we can show what can be achieved with a bit of screaming to the relevant authorities :)

Regards, RAB

Stan

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 11:28:13 PM »
Quinn....If you're referring to me I didn't say anything was wrong.  As a matter of fact I made it quite clear the figures I was giving were for a "dursley Lister". 

I don't know about Omega's, maybe your dealer can help you there, but Dursley Listers' head nuts (the 3/4" ones) are torqued to 100 ft lbs, and big end nuts to 75 or 76 ft lbs.
Stan

I hope no one misinterpreted what I was saying but I thought I was quite clear?
Stan

Montana

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 10:44:23 PM »
RAB  I posted a follow up under 6/1 parts on the Ebay Scam.   Just want to clarify my last post.  Phil helped get me the parts that  I needed to fix the engine that I bought off Ebay, the engine did NOT come from CMD.  Don't want to confuse anyone.
Omega 6/1