Author Topic: Lister SR3 oil Filter  (Read 4981 times)

Whimpster

• View Profile
Lister SR3 oil Filter
« on: December 09, 2008, 11:43:03 PM »

Hello folks,

My lister SR3 has a oil filter on bolted to side cover of crankcase of engine.
This filter takes a cartridge filter MF-39A which I've found,but I think I'm missing a part or two?
Think this filter assembly has a spring, washer and nut which I do not have.
I've got parts list book for LR and SR 1-2-3 cylinder lister but it doesn't show the the spring washer or nut in the  layout.
Basiclly I've got the canister ,bolt and a large washer in canister...canister is held in place by the long bolt.
Can anyone shed some light on this....if so a picture or layout would be a great help.
I'm in Nova Scotia Canada so if parts are needed would anyone have them or know were to look.

Thanks for all the help folks!

nobby

• View Profile
Re: Lister SR3 oil Filter
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 02:50:15 AM »
Sounds like you are missing at least a spring.
The canister/filter unit is held on by the long bolt, the large washer that you have should be shaped with a step to seat up against one side of the filter element.  Behind this should be a smaller rubber washer and then a flat steel washer, then a spring that bears up against the base of the canister.  You should see a groove on the bolt about a third of the way from the hex head that would of been for a circlip.  This circlip goes on the filter element side of the first large washer to retain this washer assembly all in place against the spring to make for easy filter replacement often the circlip is missing it will all still work but is a bit of a bugger then to install.  Often then when the circlip is gone people can loose parts during a filter change as they fall off the bolt.  I have come across situations where the spring is missing and a filter installed and in this scenario the filter will not do anything as there will be no seal between the inside and outside of the filter.  The circlip can get lost because there is one more rubber seal and heavy washer on the outside to seal the hex head against the canister.  Over time this will begin to leak hence the need to dismantle the unit to replace, in this scenario the circlip upon removal gets stretched and will not sit in the groove properly hence its eventual loss from the system.

I will email you a drawing as well some info from one of my manuals.

Cheers
Nobby
2 x Lister CE's
Looking for a CD

nobby

• View Profile
Re: Lister SR3 oil Filter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 02:56:50 AM »
As to parts start calling around did you try the RA Mitchell lead I gave you previously this would be a good place to start. 
UK side Sleeman and Hawken or Marine Engine Services.
These are GOOD leads.

To be honest though if you have the larger washer (this is the crucial one) then you can make this work by finding a generic spring that is long enough to start bearing on the filter element and washers before the canister is fully tightened on.

MF39A is the Purolater number just to confirm with you that the 51184 Wix #er will still work as well.  Also you can look further afield than Lister for Purolater parts as well these Oil Filter Heads were usually on more than one make engine.  Go here for a complete application listing:

http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartApplications.asp?Part=51184

Pics are a coming

Cheers
Nobby
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 03:37:59 AM by nobby »
2 x Lister CE's
Looking for a CD