Author Topic: Got it!!!!!!  (Read 56279 times)

Oiler

• View Profile
Got it!!!!!!
« on: December 08, 2008, 09:47:22 AM »
Hi all.
At last i was lucky to have the winning bid.
Now i just dont know how to get it to Denmark.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ3gENSgVgs

Is a link to the engine alive.

Torsten
1962 CS 6/1 for cutting firewood.
Armstrong Siddley AS1 for sale.

1937 Lister D

1918 Lister L

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
Re: Got it!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 10:07:57 AM »
Congratulations.  I hope you get it moved safely to your location.  I would have bid on one in England by now too but I have no idea how to get it to my farm in Canada.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 10:19:45 AM »
Nice one !! I watched that video a month or 2 ago.
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

NoSpark

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 11:24:34 PM »
What  Lister model is that?
Anand Powerline 6/1 ST5

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 02:49:33 AM »
What  Lister model is that?

I think it may be the better model than the CS but don't know the model name.  I think it has enclosed pushrods and rocker arm/valve stem oiling system.  That would be the engine of my choice over a CS if I could get one.

It is about 80 years since the CS was introduced and engines have improved in some ways since.  Here in 2008 I think running a prime mover to supply essential energy at the homestead that doesn't self lubricate it's own rocker arms and valve stems is just wrong.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 02:52:20 AM by rcavictim »
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

Stan

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 04:13:26 AM »
NoSpark

The  problem with the "start-em-and-forget-em" engines is that there are many things to go wrong.  If you don't get to know your machine, how it sounds, how it smells, how the vibrations make you feel etc., you will be sitting on your couch watching the boob tube when it's out there tearing itself apart.  I remember as a kid disking the orchard when our next door neighbour who was a mechanic working out of his own shop would wander across the road and when I came out of a row he would wave me down and tell me that he heard the old "22" was acting up and the float bowl stone was probably getting clogged up or something like that.

There's an old commercial from the dodge people that has a part in it where the announcer says "the computer on this vehicle tests over 140 things over 10,000 times per minute".  I couldn't help but think that there goes 10,000 chances a minute for something to go wrong.  The more complex a machine is and the less you are required to know about it, the more chances are that it will fail.

Don't put down the simple engines that "require" you to get to know them by the simple expediency of asking you to squirt a few drops of oil here and there before you start them, just think of it as a way of getting to know her better than you might ever get to know a woman.  Gosh forbid (yes I belong to Casey's church of gosh) that I could every get to know how a woman thinks  ???
Stan

NoSpark

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 04:49:47 AM »
Stan,

I think that was meant for rcavictim. I love the exposed rocker arms personally  :) that was part of the appeal.

I just ask what model, because it doesn't look like a typical CS.
Anand Powerline 6/1 ST5

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 09:48:00 AM »
The engine is a CD.
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 11:54:36 AM »
Stan,

I think that was meant for rcavictim. I love the exposed rocker arms personally  :) that was part of the appeal.

I just ask what model, because it doesn't look like a typical CS.

My interest in these engines is strictly practical.  I am not an old iron collector that polishes them up and travels with them to show them off at old engine shows, etc., I want a reliable, fuel miserly, long lived engine for a home genset.  Now that this model has been identified I believe that for me the CD seems better than the CS.

That said it seems that I have gone the route of the VW IDI 1.5L Rabbit four banger, the Jiang Dong 175A and the big 1115 Changfa because of availability.  I would however like to own a slow RPM plant that is unhurried and a lot less noisy.  They is so kewl.   8)
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 12:10:32 PM »
Strange you should mention using a car engine for power gen. I had a notion to use one the most durable and reliable european oilers , namely a Citroen 1.9 normally aspirated for the same purpose. Noise was the issue that shelved the plan though. That and the fascination of the CS !!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

rcavictim

• View Profile
Some small car diesels ARE an option
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 12:39:59 PM »
Strange you should mention using a car engine for power gen. I had a notion to use one the most durable and reliable european oilers , namely a Citroen 1.9 normally aspirated for the same purpose. Noise was the issue that shelved the plan though. That and the fascination of the CS !!

My VW plant is the first plant I built here several years ago.  It is actually nice and quiet compared to any of the one cylinder engines, but it IS run direct coupled to the alternator at 1800 RPM with a mechanical governer.  That is the lowest practical RPM for that engine.  It would make considerably more power up where the torque curve peaks at 2500 RPM but lifetime would be shortened and direct drive is not an option if you want mains frequency power as I need.  It still gets good efficiency at 1800 and can make 9 kW electrical output which is enough for most of what I do in the shop except heavier welding. For just battery charging you have no RPM limitations except where the engine likes to run based on your power demand.  I am seting up my JD175A to do this for house power.  As I see it now the house will run off batteries through inverters.  It will charge the battery bank when the wind cannot.  With max continuous output of 1600 watts electrical the way I have it set up to run at 1800 RPM now, it can make 39 kW hours in a 24 hour day.  It would be to replace or backup this JD175 plant that I want to get a slow single like a 6/1 Lister.

I am eager to set up my Changfa 1115 as it will be able to replace the VW plant as a backup.  It will be a lot noisier but I like the idea of how much less effort and cost will be required to do an engine overhaul when the time comes.  From this standpoint I think these one cylinder engines are very attractive!  I can buy a brand new 1115 engine for what it costs in Ontario to freshen up a VW diesel.  In fact I can buy a new 1115 for what it costs to rebuild a VW injection pump and four injectors today at a reputable diesel injector service shop.
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 01:16:44 PM »
That was more or less the thinking I had when considering the Citroen motor. However , this particular Citroen unit is plentiful from breakers yards in the UK so I wouldn't have bothered overhauling , at around £75 - 90 each they just become a consumable !!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

diesel guy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 06:53:00 PM »
rcavictim,

Years back I also looked into a VW diesel engine to make a homemade power plant. I see that it works out for you but what steered me away from this engine was the timing belt. I had a 2001 VW Jetta as a beater car and it had an automatic trans.

It had a smaller timing belt than the standard trans. because the auto trans needed more room up front so they made a thinner belt and needed replacement every 36,000 miles. We put 82,000 miles on the original belt and sold it. 

Diesel Guy

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 07:13:36 PM »
rcavictim,

Years back I also looked into a VW diesel engine to make a homemade power plant. I see that it works out for you but what steered me away from this engine was the timing belt. I had a 2001 VW Jetta as a beater car and it had an automatic trans.

It had a smaller timing belt than the standard trans. because the auto trans needed more room up front so they made a thinner belt and needed replacement every 36,000 miles. We put 82,000 miles on the original belt and sold it. 

Diesel Guy

Yes, that timing belt is a major achilies heel in this engine.  You cannot take chances with it or it can bite you and turn your engine to scrap in an instant.  I really need to change mine but t is one of those round'tuit situations.

This is yet another reason that I am eager to get the Changfa 1115 engine into a test situation as a backup.  I've got all the materials now except I still need to acquire a 12-15 kW, 3-phase, 1800 RPM head.
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

needenginerunnin

• interested in state of the ARK technology.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 08:35:39 PM »
evening all
listers cd's have there place, but last time i checked you have to rev them a fair amount to get power. compaired to cs
they may well have top end oilin but isnt that just something else to go wrong.
the cs managed without for decades, just fine.
kiss engineering counts for a lot in my book!
just my opinion tho

cheers needenginerunnin
1949 6/1 electric smooth flywheels & ST 7.5, som base x3, cast indoor silencer X2.
1950's 6/1 som x2, spoked 6/1, LD1 som.
listerpetter LV2, PH1,LD1,SR1, PAZ1, AA1, LT1, AC1. 3.5hp yan clone.
politician's are like nappies, they need changing for the same reason.
take the pi$$ , full of sh#t.