Puppeteer

Author Topic: Any Witte diesel generators in Ontaro Canada  (Read 13548 times)

quinnbrian

• View Profile
Any Witte diesel generators in Ontaro Canada
« on: December 27, 2015, 02:05:40 AM »
Hello all, new to this forum. Great forum!!!  I wish I'd found it a long time ago. Have a Lister SR2 with a 10 KW head, that I uses for my off grid home in Ontario Canada, works great. But after seeing an old Witte genset on the net...will you know :-) anyways is there any running in Ontario? haven't ever seen any (only on the net) ...maybe , mostly in the Western provinces of Canada?
Keep up the great work!! And thanks for letting me join the forum.
Cheers
Brian

buickanddeere

• View Profile
Re: Any Witte diesel generators in Ontaro Canada
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 05:32:02 PM »
It it a horizontal single diesel that was copied by Yanmar and later Changfa? Hopper or rad cooled and will operate 1500-2000rpm?

quinnbrian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 02:38:55 AM »
Sounds great , have you had it running, and what size is the gen head.
Here are you in Ontario? I'm near Kingston.
Cheers
Brian

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 06:00:13 PM »
Located in the GTA. The Greater Tiverton Area.
The Changfa is tucked away in storage .
 I am still very slowly assembling a PH1 clone that nobody here has every heard of. I'm waiting on a widow to clear the estate of her husband's treasures . Old trucks, old construction equipment, old steel construction bridges, old assorted equipment falling down sheds and buildings. Some WWII generator sets etc.  There is an identical PH1 clone and that had the bottom end rebuilt . The head and fuel pump was left at a local Amish shop for reassembly after the machining  was done. The Amish had went on a shop cleaning spree and tossed out the cylinder head.
  I'm hesitant to order parts until obtaining what ever rebuilt components exist.
  The head on mine was 98% jammed full with scale and lime inside the water jackets . Final machine work is still required. To close up the cooling system after removing the Welch plugs. Everything was drilled  and tapped,  all the coolant ports to fit brass plugs. Even tapped the first inch or more of the intake and exhaust ports with pipe thread . Right from the factory they were the exact diameter to be threaded .
   The cylinder block had symmetrical bosses cast in to mount accessories etc. Drilled and tapped the other side of the cylinder casting  when it was handy . In case the fuel tank needs to be mounted on the other side for clearance .
   The Canadian dollar has taken a hit recently  which will make real Petter parts from Britian more $$$.

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 07:08:36 PM »
Ottawa Area
Lister CS clone, 10 Hp with a 5 KW head... works great
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

quinnbrian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 06:07:37 AM »
Located in the GTA. The Greater Tiverton Area.
The Changfa is tucked away in storage .
 I am still very slowly assembling a PH1 clone that nobody here has every heard of. I'm waiting on a widow to clear the estate of her husband's treasures . Old trucks, old construction equipment, old steel construction bridges, old assorted equipment falling down sheds and buildings. Some WWII generator sets etc.  There is an identical PH1 clone and that had the bottom end rebuilt . The head and fuel pump was left at a local Amish shop for reassembly after the machining  was done. The Amish had went on a shop cleaning spree and tossed out the cylinder head.
  I'm hesitant to order parts until obtaining what ever rebuilt components exist.
  The head on mine was 98% jammed full with scale and lime inside the water jackets . Final machine work is still required. To close up the cooling system after removing the Welch plugs. Everything was drilled  and tapped,  all the coolant ports to fit brass plugs. Even tapped the first inch or more of the intake and exhaust ports with pipe thread . Right from the factory they were the exact diameter to be threaded .
   The cylinder block had symmetrical bosses cast in to mount accessories etc. Drilled and tapped the other side of the cylinder casting  when it was handy . In case the fuel tank needs to be mounted on the other side for clearance .
   The Canadian dollar has taken a hit recently  which will make real Petter parts from Britian more $$$.

Will be a nice project, when done! I think I'll be looking for one in the near future . But as you say with the low dollar.....it can wait. :-)
Cheers
Brian

quinnbrian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 07:08:50 AM »
Ottawa Area
Lister CS clone, 10 Hp with a 5 KW head... works great

Did you get your CS clone local? I was at Jim's place (just live off grid.com) in Norwood Ontario, about 2 years ago, had a great supply of CS clone and gen head ( it's where I bought my gen head) Great guy to deal with and lots of help. I see he's selling Laidong diesel engine know too....don't know anything about them , but look well built.
My Lister generator is , a Lister SR2 (if I remember right a 1972??) with a 10KW head, was going to run a 7.5KW head, but was told to get a 10, because you'll only every uses 80% of the available power anyways, with the Lister.
I live off grid total, and the inverter I have will let me dial my generator back to what ever percentage of power I want my battery bank to take at one time. It's set at 70% of max power out put.
When I bought my Lister , I wanted a CS, or a CS clone...but the money just wasn't there to do so, and that's when I came across the SR2 and it was too good to give up....the guy didn't know what he had... :-) lucky for me!!
It was a low hour motor , used as a compressor , for a back up generator,(big unit) that had an air starter...so basically an air starter...?? Anyways $400.00 and it was mine!! SR2,with air compressor on the mounting plate. It had sat outside for about a years, covered, and was thought to be seized. It turn out to be the compressor head ,that was seized, water had got into it and rusted up the valves...Lister was perfect!! 
Anyways that's my long story...short :-)
Coupled a 10KW head, by mins of a double chain coupler and it been running ever since.
I'm in need of some gaskets, just started leaking, the o rings ( or d rings) the ones for around the push rods and maybe some valve cover gaskets. I see Dieselman has them on his web site.
On my to do list, before the small leak, turns into a river.
I ran gas generators for years....burnt  3 of them up, just the cheap ones form farm supply shops, and one Honda EM5000( I still have the Honda, still runs, but low on compression)Uses it /keep it as a back up...just in case.
If I would have bought a Lister up front, the fuel savings alone would have paid for the Lister!! , But being new to off grid living at the time...didn't help.
Cheers
Brian

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 01:11:08 AM »
I imported a real Lister CS Startomatic and was restoring it, but it had been used on a sheep farm in Scotland and well I got really sick off it.

John who posts here and at the Micro site, was selling Clones complete so I traded to get me up and running.  We had just had a power outage and our basement flooded...wife on war path... had to do something quick, John helped me out...

Ive been happy with this set up, it works well, never a problem,
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 08:11:39 PM »
Hello all, new to this forum. Great forum!!!  I wish I'd found it a long time ago. Have a Lister SR2 with a 10 KW head, that I uses for my off grid home in Ontario Canada, works great. But after seeing an old Witte genset on the net...will you know :-) anyways is there any running in Ontario? haven't ever seen any (only on the net) ...maybe , mostly in the Western provinces of Canada?
Keep up the great work!! And thanks for letting me join the forum.
Cheers
Brian
any pictures ?