Author Topic: help with an Indian 4kva gen head  (Read 3089 times)

greasy_burger

• Southern NH Biodiesel master
    • View Profile
help with an Indian 4kva gen head
« on: December 28, 2008, 06:59:16 PM »
I had recent problems with the indian genhead, first it stopped putting out power on one leg, i traced it to the pictured board and found and repaired a disconnected wire, today same problems again but this time no power, upon removing the cover I found the wires diconnected and at this point I can't tell what goes where, can anyone either tell me where things go or remove and shoot some pics for me, here is the pic of the board.
Passat tdi with greasecar kit,Vegtherm and Fphe
Excursion Diesel
Beckett Afg Fha
Metro 6/1 with 4k indians head
All burning Wvo or Homebrewed Biodiesel

MacGyver

• View Profile
Re: help with an Indian 4kva gen head
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 07:09:06 PM »
Good lord.... what's with all the diodes? There must be 30+ of the damned things in there!
Guess they couldn't afford to use a decent rectifier so they paralleled a bunch of inadequate ones?  Weird...
Steve

JKson (PS) 6/1 'roid & ST 7.5

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 09:13:34 PM »

Another thing is that you can only parallel diodes for intermittent use.  What happens is a thing called 'thermal runaway'. Unlike a conductor,if one diode runs hotter,it draws more current,more current,more heat........and so on until it burns out. Diodes are dirt cheap at the wholesalers,get bigger ones.

The wiring,I am note sure of.

M61hops

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 04:52:10 AM »
Sorry Greasy Burger, can't make much sense of your problem from this photo.  If I was having your problem I'd trace all wires and make a wiring diagram and go from there.  I had a 7.5kw indian made head and all the load current went through the brushes, rotor and those diodes  :o.  The rotor and stator were in series and the diodes rectified the current that went through the rotor so that there would be a consistant north and south poles to the rotating magnetic field that generates the power output.  The generator worked great but I was worried about what would happen if the diodes were to fail.  This design seemed like it would be prone to failure and/or short lifespan due to the diodes and brushes having to carry the full output current.  I got rid of my indian head for a chinese ST style because I thought the brushes and rectifier would last better.  I've had bearing problems with the chinese head though  :(.  Oh well...                                           Leland
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!