Puppeteer

Author Topic: Genuine 5/1 CS Start-o-matic gen head, any interest in plans.  (Read 4140 times)

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
Genuine 5/1 CS Start-o-matic gen head, any interest in plans.
« on: February 09, 2006, 05:21:08 PM »
Reason I'm asking is the new one is working ok etc but I plan on doing a complete nut and bolt strip and refurb to new, or better than new, and while I'm at it I may do some mods to the engine itself.

Disclaimer, not planning on doing this next week, will be a couple of months away at least.

So, question is, while I'm doing this there's nothing except the extra time to stop me producing detailed plans and measurements of the start-o-matic combined gen head and starter unit, and from there it's only a small step to making new ones.

Since reading these forums it's been dawning on me that practically everyone importing a listeroid is using it to generate AC power, and all you're really lacking is a proper clone of the start-o-matic gen head.

(if 2.5 Kw isn't enough once you have plans it's no biggie to make a 5 Kw etc job)

Would there be any GENUINE (as in the work will be used, not just read for interest) interest in this? and if so how much? and if so what specific things would you see yourselves wanting extra detail and pictures of? (as I'm not planning on going to the effort of producing CAD / CAM / CAE files for every single component)

cheers
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
Re: Genuine 5/1 CS Start-o-matic gen head, any interest in plans.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 07:14:55 AM »
Guy;
For myself, I don't think it's all that important to have the starter winding / generator as part of the alternator rotor. I have an ONAN with this feature, and it is nice, but not the be-all and end-all of engineering.
I think the Start o matic schematic IS important. The load sensing auto start is a good fuel saving idea. Now we talk about battery banks, mini grids, solar cells and wind generators. The Start o matic would be dang handy to keep those big storage batteries from damage due to running them down. Auto start would be good for peak loads like well pumps, hot water tanks, etc..  It would fit nicely in any integrated power scheme.
Scott E
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's