Author Topic: Waste Veg Oil  (Read 25413 times)

Stevels

• The Crisco Cowboy
  • Computer geek gone low tech!
    • View Profile
    • My alternitive engine projects
Waste Veg Oil
« on: October 31, 2005, 03:09:38 AM »
So, I plan on doing some WVO Lister action. I just finished my car conversion and now I want to convert everything to WVO.  How about a WVO blender? or a WVO lawn mover??  Ahhh the possibilities!
Converting everything I own to run on WVO

Stevels

• The Crisco Cowboy
    • View Profile
Re: Waste Veg Oil
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 03:09:45 AM »
The Green Monster is here and my buddy and I uncrated it this afternoon.  Man, is it big and green.  Green as well as big.  Have I mentioned Green?

I will take lots of pictures and document my"Grease Play" as it develops.  First thing is to get this bad boy running on diesel, let alone an alternitive fuel.

crash922108

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 03:46:09 AM »
Does anyone know the best source for wvo? ie fast food, mom pop resteraunts?

Clay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 02:37:19 AM »
Did you get it going yet?

Stevels

• The Crisco Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 12:19:44 AM »
I just got back from Amsterdam, where I broke no laws ;D

I have not done anything with my Lister yet.  I hope to get going on it quickly before it gets too cold.  It still has not been started.  As for the best source of WVO, I have only received oil from an Asian restaurant I am friendly with, and it seems like pretty good oil.  It is NOT hydrogentated.

Clay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 05:31:58 PM »
Any luck, yet?

ostryjak

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 11:47:33 PM »

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 03:11:12 AM »
ostryjak,
Welcome to the forum...there is a lot of good info here...nice FuKing pictures..... :)

Joe
Nothing is easy...if it were...anybody could do it.

2005 Power Solutions  6/1-ST5

ostryjak

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 08:32:34 PM »
This Christmas break is the *planned*  tear down , clean out , rebuild and start 'er up week

I will be using WVO collected from a couple of local restaurants - I have about 200 gallons to use up.

I will let y'all know how it goes and post a load of photos to boot.

Good to be here.

Stevels

• The Crisco Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 05:09:24 AM »
The holidays are finally gone and my Listeroid Waste Veg project is not forgotten, but a whole lot more time consuming than I had hoped.

I had to first clean and heat my garage so I could even work on the project.  I had to buy a MIG welder and learn how to use the darn thimg (I am a computer nerd, machinist wannabe)

Now that most of the parts are here and the holidays are over, this project will gain some speed.

No, I do not have it going yet.... but man, do I have some ambitious ideas!

I know this is the WVO thread, but I will first design and test the system on Home HEating Oil (essentially diesel dyed red) and once the system seems sound, i will fabricate the conversion to WVO.

As I said, I have converted my MB 350SDL to veg, and it is my daily driving car and it ROCKS! -- so I love this WVO technology.  I am, however, way over my head with just about every aspect of this project.

Just the way I like it!

I will try to take snap shots and document the project, as if it is as ambitiious as I am planning, it may earn me some "Cool Points" within our forum :)

Either way, i gotta do something usefull with the 'Roid soon, my wife is starting to think that the huge green thing in the garage is not her new central vacuum system after all!!

Procrustes

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2006, 07:43:21 PM »
My situation is a lot like yours -- computer programmer with a new interest in diesels and alternative fuels.  I haven't bought a Lister yet because I'm not sure how to use the alt fuel power.  Do you plan to grid-tie and sell power back to the utility?

If you haven't looked, you can do this with an inverter and a deep cycle battery bank.  I would need two inverters as I have to drive two 240V AC pumps.  A couple of drawbacks in this system is that you lose 5-15% of your generated power to heat in the AC->DC conversion.  Also you have to work closely with the utility to convince them that you won't zap a linesman during an outage.

You get 30% up to $2,000 as a tax credit over two years for solar equipment installed during 2006 or 2007 from the federal government.  Your state might have incentives as well.  You could use this solar equipment to sell power to the utility.  In fact, if I read the statute right, here in WA the utility pays me $0.54/kWh from solar equipment manufactured in WA (not sure this exists).  Theoretically one take advantage of this: buy minimal solar equipment, then run straight veg oil or even diesel and sell power to the utility for more than what straight diesel costs.  Normally my utility doesn't have to pay any refund, that is you can't run a surplus on a yearly basis.  Maybe that's the governing factor.

I'll probably be posting more about this in the coming days.

Incidentally how much discount do you get for the red-dyed diesel over road-tax diesel?  I should start buying that.

Stevels

• The Crisco Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2006, 12:41:50 AM »
Incidentally how much discount do you get for the red-dyed diesel over road-tax diesel?  I should start buying that.

goid point... the truth is it is all a scam.  While years ago, home heating oil was indeed cheaper than deisel fuel, which was as would make sesne, cheaper than gasolin. Now, since our oilman President invaded an oil rich country, it is actually cheaper for me to actually buy diesel fuel to heat my house. 

I paid extra right after Katrina, to locked my home heating oil at a a cap of $2.75/gallon  Currently, my fuel oil is being billed at $2.49/g, but if I take more than 15 days to pay, it goes up to $2.75/g.  Diesel costs between $2.59-$2.66/gallon.

Ahh, progress! :)

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2006, 02:40:19 AM »
Prices of consumer goods rise and fall because of many factors and are especially affected by supply and demand.

The people of Iraq currently import most of their refinery products and will for sometime.

The foreign country we get the largest percent of our oil from is Canada.

If you really want to worry about anything look at the affect of a robust industrial complex preceding any major conflict…. Then look at the direction we are going and take a look at China…who do you think could ramp up faster?

If you really want to know what is going on in ME talk to the folks with boots on the ground…Maine Stream Media…prints mostly the doom and gloom…

Joe

Nothing is easy...if it were...anybody could do it.

2005 Power Solutions  6/1-ST5

JohnF13

• View Profile
    • woodnstuff
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2006, 09:29:39 PM »
I currently (say that because I'm changing engines) run a 12/2 and a 25/2 on WVO.  My buddy runs a 12/2 on WVO also, he has been off-grid for over 8 months now.  Listers love WVO!  Between the two of us, we have over 6,00 hours of WVO runnning on the two 12/2 engines, no problems.  I pulled the heads on my 12 after 2,000 hours and de-coked, build up was not too bad.  I'm looking into Propane injection to lessen the carbon build-up to virtually nothing.  I'd be happy to share experiences if anyone wants to email me.
John F
2 x 6/1 JKSON.  1 x 10/1 JKSON, 1 x 27hp Changfa, 1 x 28hp AG295, 1 genuine 1939 SOM, a couple of others in test mode and a Hercules Multu-fuel still in the box.

jimmer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2006, 11:27:22 PM »
JohnF13,

Could you share some of your experiences using WVO with a Lister style engine?

Preheat method, dual tank plumbing, etc.

Thanks,

Jim