Author Topic: WVO Collection Site Sought  (Read 9177 times)

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
WVO Collection Site Sought
« on: November 22, 2008, 07:43:39 PM »
I've been invited to help design a collection site for WVO at a shopping center in Hawaii.  The site will serve two kitchens and will not be open to the public for dumping - just too many varibles to deal with.

I would appreciate direction towards good or excellent working sites you have knowledge of.

We would also be interested in some of the features that you think are important at a collection site.  Pros and Cons are welcome.

Thanks,

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
Re: WVO Collection Site Sought
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 01:21:28 AM »
Some states, to protect against "scavengers" have declared WVO a "Hazardous Waste, and you need permits & license to collect, deliver, suck, store, transport. Damm bureaucrats.

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 01:52:15 AM »
Things just ain't that sophisticated over here on the big island.  Even if they did declare it a hazard they're not going to pay anyone to go out and do something about it.

I don't want to wander too far but would this make my greasy underclothes a biological hazard as my wife has complained about for all these years?

Back on topic:  Do you know of anyone with or without appropriate paperwork that has set up a smart WVO collection system?

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 11:45:08 PM »
COME - ON!

Nobody has ever been to a WVO collection spot or place and thought "Hey, somebody has done their homework on this place." or "This makes it so easy for everyone." or "I want mine to just like this."?  Never read an article nor seen a website about what should go into the design of a WVO transfer site / station?

I'm suppose to walk near the surface of a deep pond here pretty soon and the only things I've got so far is keep it dry, use containers that are 5 gallons or less, secure the funnel with steel cord or chain and make it easy for everyone to do a tidy job.

Sooooo; What else?

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

MacGyver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 03:42:34 AM »
      make it easy for everyone to do a tidy job.

Well, I have NO experience with WVO collection sites, but if I had to just "wing it", I think I would use the above statement as my motto...

Sounds like GREAT advice to me!

Steve

JKson (PS) 6/1 'roid & ST 7.5

MacGyver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 03:49:03 AM »
And slope everything towards a corner or sump that's easy to suck out when someone *doesn't* do a tidy job.
And a roof or awning to keep the rain out.

But mostly "make it easy for everyone to do a tidy job"  like you said before....
Steve

JKson (PS) 6/1 'roid & ST 7.5

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 10:01:37 AM »
Thanks Steve,

We're going to use kitty litter to clean the inevitable and absolutely necessary nasty corner.  The roof is an absolute must too.  When it rains here it can do 3 or 4 inches in an hour without so much as a sneeze.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

adhall

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 04:22:33 PM »
Low Gear:

I also have no experience with this either, but I recall seeing some images on a web site which pertain to it (of course, I can't find the link now ???).

What I saw was a 55 gallon drum, the kind with a removable head. A large hole was cut in the center of the head. An round air filter element (Ford 351 Windsor V8 would do) had been mounted underneath the head--held in place from below by the appropriate air filter cover. A metal ring was attached to the top side of the head, several inches tall and somewhat larger than the hole. And a metal cover was attached to the ring by a hinge.

The purpose of the air filter element was to pre-filter the oil to keep out the larger chunks. And that air filter element is relatively cheap (not to mention inexpensive  ;D). The purpose of the ring was to provide some extra volume to contain the oil as it was working its way through the filter.

I believe the barrel was emptied by pumping out through the bung in the head.

I hope this is reasonably clear.

If anyone else knows the web page I am referring to and can furnish the link, I would be grateful.

On the other hand, the State of Washington has installed some collection sites for WMO near where I live. They are very professional looking and I'm sure were built at great expense to the taxpayers. On the other hand, they may provide some ideas for you. I'll see if I can get some pictures.

Best regards,
Andy Hall
JKSon 6/1, 5 kW ST Head, 1992 Dodge RAM Cummins 5.9L Turbodiesel, 2001 VW TDI 1.9L Turbodiesel, 2006 Jeep CRD Turbodiesel, Yanmar FX22D Diesel Tractor

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 04:07:51 AM »
no way i would setup an unattended dump station!

first thing you know, someone will dump paint thinner, bug killer, brake fluid or some other toxin
and it will be your problem with the epa to clean it up!

far better to setup a pickup day with the restaraunt's in my opinion, that way you have a pretty good idea
what you are getting is waste veggie and not some bio/nuke/caustic/carcenigen gunk that will end up costing
you every dime you ever hope to make.

i am not kidding a little bit, get even a teaspoon of chlorinated brakleener in the oil tank and you will have a toxic
headache the likes you have never known.

i say go get it yourself, straight from the source, setup a contract to pickup, spelling out that you will not pickup
any contaminated waste veggie.

then make it easy for them, provide clean 5gallon buckets to replace the ones you take away, make it easy
and always be there on schedule, and maybe leave them a couple extra buckets just in case you miss a day.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 06:05:02 AM »
So security is raising it's nasty head.  Hmmmmmmmm....

This calls for thinking.

I'll be back.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator