Author Topic: Nice Lister SOM webpage..............  (Read 4796 times)

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
Nice Lister SOM webpage..............
« on: November 21, 2008, 04:09:14 PM »
This is a great , really interesting site with lots of stuff to browse thru. In particular though is a page on a Lister SOM with a nice little video. You will need the Quicktime player to view it. http://electrokinetica.org/d1/3/3.php
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

Stan

Re: Nice Lister SOM webpage..............
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 11:04:30 PM »
Just ask permission before you post them  :-X
Stan

Geno

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 11:10:19 PM »
They have some cool stuff. Check this one out.
http://electrokinetica.org/gallery/gallery.php?g=2&p=3&ret=gh

Thanks, Geno

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 11:38:26 PM »
Hmmmmm , JP4 , now thats a toy I'd really like !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

SteveU.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 02:13:37 PM »
Thanks compig

Interesting find.
First I ever seen of a factory direct drive 650 RPM system. Yes, direct drive would be better as a high voltage DC system.

Also interesting to show the younger folk that there was life and intilligent design possible before the invention of the transistor.

Makes me wonder how many of todays systems will still be useabe 60 years from now.

I assume your personal system is the belt driven AC version?

SteveU.
Use it up. Wear it out. Make Do, or Do Without.
 Electrodyne 12vdc. AC MeccAlte 8.5kw
John Deere 950 w/Yammar 3cyl IDI; Peterson 21" sawmill w/20hp Kohler v-twin; four Stilh chainsaws,  Stilh weedeaters; various Kohler, Onan, Honda, Briggs, Tecumseh singles.

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 02:52:13 PM »
Some young people would even look blank if you mentioned transistor !! They think electronics started with chips !!  Try mentioning a valve (tube) for an amusing reaction !! LOL !! My opinion is that NONE of todays systems will be functioning in 60 years , manufacturers don't intend them to be. They cant be economically repaired even now , so that means there are no spare parts.
Recently a friend asked me to look at his HPC rotary screw compressor as the service company he was using had begun to mention a deteriorating oil leak for the previous 2 services and then on the most recent had said there was nothing more that could be done as the cost of repair would exceed the value of the unit. However , as he had bought HPC in the belief it is one of the best Rotary Screw comps on the market (correct) and it had only done 18,000 hours he was disappointed with that verdict. I had a look and found someone had deviously placed an oversize sealing washer off centre on the oil temp sensor to create a minor but persistent and dramatically messy oil leak !! I corrected this , cleaned the whole unit and it is now perfect with at least another 10 years in it !! So even high quality equipment is now despised for it's reliability and longevity in this modern consumable world !!

My SOM is a belt AC unit , there is a pic in this thread , http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=3822.0

What really grabs my fascination is the mention of oil damped contactors in the timing sequence of the DC SOM on that website !!

Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial