Puppeteer

Author Topic: Changfa engine?  (Read 60154 times)

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Changfa engine?
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2008, 04:27:14 PM »
the engine really should have a diesel rated straight weight non detergent oil in it
however, i have delo 15/40 detergent oil in mine, but
i plan on a complete teardown after i finish testing so that i can modify the lube system
and get a full flow oil filter between the oil pump and the crankcase oil port.

afterwhich the use of modern 15/40 detergent oils will be what i will continue to use.

as far as idle speed, well the changfa 195 will run down to about 1000rm after it has warmed up, but not much lower
they seem to like 1500-2000rpm range quite well.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Petersbpus

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2008, 07:51:27 AM »
Maybe Bob G could post some pics of his oil filter setup, would like to see, for sure.
When I set mine up I welded two 3\8 couplers to the bottom of the oil pan, for  pickup and return
and used a 120v micro gear pump,(ebay cheap) coupled to an thermol snap disc so it comes on after the oil has heated. plus manual  (on) override.
Oil out of the pan ,thru oil coooler mounted in exhaust air of the ST12, thru the pump and on to a PH8A type spin on housing and back to bottom of oil pan,
When I want to change the oil I take off the filter, plug into grid 120v and flip the switch, I do still pull the magnetic drain plug to check and clean it,
BTW mine is Changfaoid, a  Xing Dong
That way I can tell the wife I have to go outside  to check  my Dong. ;D
The whole thing is mounted on an reclaimed 3 wheel welding cart, for quick deployment after a Hurricane,
also have 5000 - 10000 watt inverter for power during the  storm before safe deployment of genset is possible.
That inverter will carry my one heavy surge load for my 6\1 screw the power company project, now nearing compleation for summer A\C needs.
6\1 is splash lube only, so installed simular pump setup on it. without the  cooler
Bob P
Henery,
be sure to take off the pan and clean it nice before any runs.and don't run much with out a load.
I had my R180 7.7 coupled to a large turbo axial fan for loading, diesel powered shop fan ;D
Listeroid 6/1 in progress
Alllis Chalmers 60KW 3 ph
Changfaoid 12KW w/  auto shutdowns, modern AVR and panel
2nd Changfaoid 12KW Marine conversion w/ full auto shutdown and remote panel
Changfaoid 7.7 hp driving 5kw alternater /inverter,
other diesel gensets bought fixed and sold

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2008, 08:51:58 AM »

When I set mine up I welded two 3\8 couplers to the bottom of the oil pan, for  pickup and return
and used a 120v micro gear pump,(ebay cheap) coupled to an thermol snap disc so it comes on after the oil has heated. plus manual  (on) override.
Oil out of the pan ,thru oil coooler mounted in exhaust air of the ST12, thru the pump and on to a PH8A type spin on housing and back to bottom of oil pan,
When I want to change the oil I take off the filter, plug into grid 120v and flip the switch, I do still pull the magnetic drain plug to check and clean it,Bob P

I like that external oil pump and filter loop idea.  It doesn't mess with the stock very high pressure oil system in the engine.  You could take it a step farther and series a large flat oil reservoir tank at oil pan level that would greatly increase the oil pan capacity of the engine for long unattended runs like you need at remote telecom repeater sites.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Petersbpus

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2008, 11:21:58 AM »
The changfoid project gear pump was a Iwaki brand from some type of lab application,
For the Listeroid the pump is a micropump magnetic drive gear pump made by IDEX,
Warning Will Robinson!!
All these pumps have very job specific gear and seal combinations, only a few of which can handle  hot oils.
It's likely any used pumps you find for sale out there(ebay) will have the "old" part and model numbers which you cannot find on line info to determine the configuration of that specific pump,
BUT,
If you contact IDEX directly, they were very responsive to my multiple inquires as to suitability of a specific pump model.
even supplied parts blowups and a wire diagram for the 120\240VAC pump I ended up with.
When I disassembled the micro gear housing and bypass I cleaned out what sure looked like dried ink, so must have been on a printing press?
I am using the pressure side of the pump also connected to a Murphy pressure gauge\shutdown switch in case something
breaks and I pump the oil out of the listeroid.
  To stick with the subject of the thread,
I did use the Utterpower banjo bolt modification for oil pressure switch gauge  tap on my 1115.
I had read the thread of some one here blowing up oil filters when trying to use the banjo bolt to supply a filter, so I went with a separate system for cooling and filter
The 0 -100 psi gauge is pegged until it gets hot
Bob P
Listeroid 6/1 in progress
Alllis Chalmers 60KW 3 ph
Changfaoid 12KW w/  auto shutdowns, modern AVR and panel
2nd Changfaoid 12KW Marine conversion w/ full auto shutdown and remote panel
Changfaoid 7.7 hp driving 5kw alternater /inverter,
other diesel gensets bought fixed and sold

Veggiefuel

• Energy Machines Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Energy Machines Ltd.
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2008, 05:44:42 AM »
Hey Mobilebob!

Haven't seen this much Changfa activity for months !

Changfa owners UNITE ! Our day in the sun is near at hand.

Count me in for a Changfa section on the forum.

3 - S195 Engines (one with an ST-5 head)

1 - Launtop 7.5kw Diesel with a 4kw head

Cheers,
Veggie
GM90 engines, Changfa's, Voltmaster Generators, Pellet Mills - www.energymachines.ca

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2008, 06:22:35 AM »
see fella's it isn't something to be ashamed of,, come out of the closet changfa lovers!

i finally got head gskts,, thank god!
came in the mail today, so if i lose electricity due to the storm coming in tonight
i can get back up online in short order,, albeit a damn cold prospect!

snow still a comin down here in south tacoma,, got about 8-10inches on the ground
which is sorta unusual around here.

guess it is all that global warming bullshit old algore has been trying to make a buck off of.

:)

bob g

otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2008, 01:30:00 PM »
We've just had two major snow strorms in a row in as many days and a third is due later today here in Ontario.  For the past two days I have been test running my experimental JD175 plant which I recently got back to playing with.  This time for a first on straight filtered WVO with nearly 100 watts of injector heat.  Works like a charm.  No black in the exhaust, diesel knock sounds nice and easy. Exhaust temp about 500 F. The power into resitive heaters and the radiated heat from the engine, warmed up bearings, many shieves and four B-belts was used to help heat my shop building during the day long run times.  This plant only makes 2 kW flat out (has to turn too much stuff)the way it is set up if diesel and propane fumigation is used.  Otherwise, without propane the practical max is more like 1800 watts.  I was running a constant 1700 watts.

I fired up the new Changfa 1115 for the fun of it too.  It has been sitting for a year and the fuel system had to be purged of air for some reason.  Man that is a powerful engine.  I am gearing up to build a plant out of it hopefully this winter.  It will be used to spin a 3-phase 12-15 kW head to power the shop as a standby/backup to my present 9 kW 3-phase VW diesel plant.  In addition I may place a huge 400 amp, 50 VDC 20 kW DC generator on the frame which I have so this plant can double as a DC welder directly instead of using the AC power to run my big Miller set.  This old school, designed to last a century generator head weighs easy 800+ lbs and has really massive triple row brush gear.

All in a continuing effort to be ready for the longest planned utility outage ever, being off-grid.

BTW, I still need to acquire a 1800 RPM, 3-phase AC head for my big Changfa in case someone here within driving distance (southern Ontario) has one for sale for a good deal.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 01:33:28 PM by rcavictim »
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

Veggiefuel

• Energy Machines Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Energy Machines Ltd.
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2008, 03:27:49 AM »
rcavictim,

Here's where I bought my ST5 head. I think John also has 7.5kw and 10kw heads in stock.
I believe he's in Ontario. I had mine trucked to western Canada.

http://www.woodnstuff.ca/

Cheers,
Veggie
GM90 engines, Changfa's, Voltmaster Generators, Pellet Mills - www.energymachines.ca

Stan

« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2008, 05:15:17 AM »
What did the trucking cost you?
Stan

Veggiefuel

• Energy Machines Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Energy Machines Ltd.
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2008, 04:31:12 PM »

I used Riemer Trucking. I think shipping cost around $125.

Veggie

Stan

« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2008, 04:49:51 PM »
And you are where?
Stan

Veggiefuel

• Energy Machines Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Energy Machines Ltd.
« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2008, 04:58:43 PM »

Mine is not an air cooled vertical and by the way how dare you? It's a real McCoy horizontal water cooled. Just like a Changfa but probably designed before the Changfa and likely better built as Yanmar claims they did this sort of thing first. If you look at the various YouTube videos of Yanmar marine diesels it looks just like them except horizontal. I'm pretty sure I'm in as your Changfas are really Yanmaroids.

Well I was not meaning any disrespect.  I have never seen anything from Yanmar except the air cooled verticals like the ones now being sold as industrial diesel engines by Princess Auto and also one of the members here from Ontario is a stocking dealer of these air cooled small high speed vertical diesels. 

Incidentally I proposed adding a cubbyhole where these air cooled 3600 RPM industrials could find a home here as well.  I'd be interested in knowing if they get more reliable/long lived for example if you buy the large 10 HP engine and spin it at say 1800-2000 RPM instead of 3600 to run your 2500 watt generator, a ~50% engine power derating. 

rcavictim,

I bought one of these air cooled diesels and mounted it on a channel base along with a 4kw head and a belt drive.

Due to BHP requirements, 2400 rpm is about the slowest you can go with a 4kw head.

If you drive a smaller head (eg: 2 or 3 kw) you might be able to run it at 1800 rpm.

I adjusted the speed control to 2400rpm and it holds that speed at various loads without any problem.

For additional flywheel effect at the reduced speed, I put a 15 lb. 3 groove sheave on the engine (even though I only use two of the grooves).

The engine seems very happy running 1200 rpm below it's rated speed of 3600. May last longer too!
These engines seem to be very durable. It's very easy to start with the pull-starter, although I do intend to wire up the electric starter when I get around to it.
I ordered mine directly from Launtop in China. This is the same make as Princess Auto uses, so I would be comfortable recommending one if you were thinking of buy a 10HP unit for a generator.

I only have about 2 loaded hours on my unit so far (running on biodiesel).
I wonder if these would run on WVO ??.
They do have a steel line from the pump to the injector which could be heat traced if necessary. !!

Cheers,
Veggie

Veggiefuel

• Energy Machines Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Energy Machines Ltd.
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2008, 04:59:39 PM »
Stan,

Location is Calgary

veggie

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 23, 2008, 12:22:22 AM »

Mine is not an air cooled vertical and by the way how dare you? It's a real McCoy horizontal water cooled. Just like a Changfa but probably designed before the Changfa and likely better built as Yanmar claims they did this sort of thing first. If you look at the various YouTube videos of Yanmar marine diesels it looks just like them except horizontal. I'm pretty sure I'm in as your Changfas are really Yanmaroids.

Well I was not meaning any disrespect.  I have never seen anything from Yanmar except the air cooled verticals like the ones now being sold as industrial diesel engines by Princess Auto and also one of the members here from Ontario is a stocking dealer of these air cooled small high speed vertical diesels. 

Incidentally I proposed adding a cubbyhole where these air cooled 3600 RPM industrials could find a home here as well.  I'd be interested in knowing if they get more reliable/long lived for example if you buy the large 10 HP engine and spin it at say 1800-2000 RPM instead of 3600 to run your 2500 watt generator, a ~50% engine power derating. 

rcavictim,

I bought one of these air cooled diesels and mounted it on a channel base along with a 4kw head and a belt drive.

Due to BHP requirements, 2400 rpm is about the slowest you can go with a 4kw head.

If you drive a smaller head (eg: 2 or 3 kw) you might be able to run it at 1800 rpm.

I adjusted the speed control to 2400rpm and it holds that speed at various loads without any problem.

For additional flywheel effect at the reduced speed, I put a 15 lb. 3 groove sheave on the engine (even though I only use two of the grooves).

The engine seems very happy running 1200 rpm below it's rated speed of 3600. May last longer too!
These engines seem to be very durable. It's very easy to start with the pull-starter, although I do intend to wire up the electric starter when I get around to it.
I ordered mine directly from Launtop in China. This is the same make as Princess Auto uses, so I would be comfortable recommending one if you were thinking of buy a 10HP unit for a generator.

I only have about 2 loaded hours on my unit so far (running on biodiesel).
I wonder if these would run on WVO ??.
They do have a steel line from the pump to the injector which could be heat traced if necessary. !!

Cheers,
Veggie

Interesting.  So you are belt driving a 3600 RPM head with the engine at 2500 RPM and making 4 kW of E?

I'm curious why you would not have bought the engine from Princess.  When they had these on a sale I'm sure that would have been cheaper than what you must have paid with shipping across the ocean. You would have had the unbeatable Princess warranty as well!

As far as WVO goes, IME if you fully warm up the engine on diesel the injector high pressure line gets hot from the fuel that gets heated by the hot injection pump.  Merely insulating this line ought to be good enough.  That said you absolutely have to add heat to the injector itself.  I'm putting about 100 watts into a nichrome wire wrapped around the injector on my JD 175A running almost fully loaded at 1800 RPM. It gets the injector up to about 350-400F and the engine runs very well on WVO.  If I reduce heat to 50 watts the injector is still hotter than the head but it starts to sound distressed and is clearly fouling itself. Clearly much heat on the injector is the trick.  After the run I turn off the injector heat and switch over to the diesel fuel tank to flush out the heavy oil and cool the injector.  After about 5 minutes back on diesel I take the load off, reduce throttle and cool the engine before shutting down.

To power the injector heater I use a variac into a high current secondary step down xfmer.  It was a filament xfmer for a broadcast transmitter tube.  It can source 50 amps at 12 volts.  I run about 25 amps at 3.5 volts out of it into a four turn heating coil (about 12" of #12 gauge nichrome wire) wrapped tightly around the lower half of the injector body and insulated/held in place with stove cement.  I salvaged the nichrome wire from a ceramic high wattage industrial motor starting resistor.  An old veteran motor shop may be able to help you here.  You might be able to use the core from a kitchen oven element (bake or broil) if you can get it out of the stainless steel black outer tubing.

You could make your own step-down xfmer by modifying a microwave oven power xfmer.

Due to all the variables you fully realize that you are on your own if you damage your engine.

-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

Stan

« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2008, 02:26:45 AM »
Veggie, you're just over the rocks from here.  If you ever get over here skiing, let me know we can have a coffee.
Stan