Author Topic: Changfa engine?  (Read 60125 times)

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Changfa engine?
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2008, 06:39:28 AM »
RCA:

man you got it all wrong,, at 16krpm it goes like this

winnnnng,,,, dinnnng,, dinnng,,,,, winnnnnnggggggggggggg.... BLAM!!

:)

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2008, 01:05:53 PM »
RCA:

man you got it all wrong,, at 16krpm it goes like this

winnnnng,,,, dinnnng,, dinnng,,,,, winnnnnnggggggggggggg.... BLAM!!

:)

bob g

Well of course you got it right.  I was just using a formula I developed recently that I know works.   :D

In a 4 stroke, keeping the valves from leaving the cam profile and floating at 16,000 RPM is going to be a slight challenge no?  Actually everything about it is gonna be a challenge, and for what purpose, so a few loose screws can participate in the Darwin Awards?  Some excess speed motorcycle collisions involving the backs of semi truck trailers on the road have resembled a bug splattered on a windshield in recent times.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Canuck

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2008, 06:02:48 PM »
Hi All,

With all due respect to all things big and slow moving... ZackaryMac has a valid point. The latest Honda 600RR has a redline of 15K RPM and makes max torque at about 11.5K.  (sounds more like ripping canvas than ringggg dinnnng) They will run for a very long time with minimal attention and don't require a person to take them apart/rebuild them before using.  Wonderful things can be done if the engineering is sound and manufacturing can work with the materials and tolerances dictated by that engineering.

One must choose the correct tool (or engine) for the job at hand but it's hard to beat engineering and production quality control when they work together. How the end user works with the tool is up to him/her... 150 MPH motorcycles and open flywheel engines have a lot in common as far as danger to the operator is concerned.

That doesn't mean that I'd like to be living next to a genset whose prime mover is running at 11 or 12 grand tho! and I wouldn't want to tackle a rebuild using a rock and a set of whitworth wrenches    :)

Kind of makes me wonder what Honda could do if they decided to make a Listeroid?

Canuck

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2008, 09:26:59 PM »
Kind of makes me wonder what Honda could do if they decided to make a Listeroid?

Canuck,

Probably not a great improvement on the original Lister.  Making a proper copy of the Lister would be much better than most, by most accounts.  They could include improvements with modern systems but that would deviate from the original principles of the design.

Honda have always gone for the high revving route for extra power from a given size package.  Those engines are ideal applications for roller bearings in the mains and big ends.  A 650 rpm diesel engine would not be a good application for roller big ends, I would think.  I have litle experience of anything later than the early seventies' Honda motorcycles, but covered about 50,000 miles on Hondas in the few years before I graduated to 4 wheels, in the mid/late-sixties.

Regards, RAB

ZackaryMac

• Nova Scotia, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2008, 02:52:39 AM »
That doesn't mean that I'd like to be living next to a genset whose prime mover is running at 11 or 12 grand tho!

It's funny you say that. When I worked in a motorcycle/snowmobile shop, I used to look at the 3 cyl 800cc liquid two stroke in the Mach Z, and tell the guys I thought that would make a nice wood-splitter engine.

They never got the joke in that I guess. A loud 150hp screaming-at-8000rpm big two-stroke gulping down gas, just to do what a 5hp engine does nicely. I always meant it in a red-neck kinda way.  ::)
Kubota EL300A-R 4hp 12v Generator
Kubota B6100 HST Compact Tractor
Onan RDJA 8hp
1994 Chev S10 w/Isuzu C223
All are diesel.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2008, 05:51:07 AM »
hey what the hell is the deal here???

its one thing to pollute the thread with lister/oid posts,, (afterall this is a lister/oid forum), but

honda's??
snowmobile engine's??

get your own damn thread going!!!

lmao :)

bob g

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2008, 07:24:54 AM »
Fair game?  It is in the wrong section?  Perhaps 'other slow speed diesels' section.  Noooo....doesn't fit that one either :)

Now, talking about pollution......what do you guys think of that?

Regards, RAB

ZackaryMac

• Nova Scotia, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2008, 01:56:58 AM »
So, whatdya think about a Changfa-powered snowmobile?   ;D
Kubota EL300A-R 4hp 12v Generator
Kubota B6100 HST Compact Tractor
Onan RDJA 8hp
1994 Chev S10 w/Isuzu C223
All are diesel.

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2008, 03:59:46 AM »
So, whatdya think about a Changfa-powered snowmobile?   ;D

Works for me!   :)
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2008, 08:24:31 PM »
i have seen several of the 1115 changfa's doing very well with an st12 and a lovejoy

the 195 should be a lot less stress on the lovejoy.

there are a couple of guys having really good luck with the st10 on the 195, so you should be ok
i would think with the st12, although it might not be optimal or as high efficiency as it might be, but

we don't know that yet do we?
you will be the first with a 195 connected to  an st12 that i am aware of, and i look forward to how it works out.

bob g

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2008, 01:15:22 AM »
my changfa has a glowplug sort of thing
you remove it and supposedly insert some wick, soaked in oil, light it
and get it glowing,, insert it quickly and crankit up... i have no idea how well that works

the diameter is the same as a vw glowplug but has courser threads,, i have been thinking of
rethreading the vw glowplug and giving it a try.

failing that, the changfa glowfitting can be drilled out, tapped with the proper threads and a pencil
type glowplug installed i would think, might have to use a lock nut to keep it locked in?
i dunno,, i just started looking into that myself this week.

bob g

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2008, 02:44:35 AM »
the changfa has the tapered seat as well, and the body is the same size as the VW glowplug
but it has courser threads. the reach of the changfa unit is longer so even if one were to rethread the VW
plug i think you would have to turn down the hex down to the body size so it would reach in about a 1/4 inch deeper
to get to the taper seat.

i have considered getting a metric thread die and just chasing the threads on the VW unit,, likely the threads would not
be perfect but i don't think it would take much to hold it in. lots of pressure on it, but very little surface area so even
rather mangled threads would likly hold just fine. i know this will be my first option i am going to try.

it would appear the difference is about 1 less thread per inch, maybe 1.5 threads less than the VW per inch.

i am thinking it might work, for the following reason

several years ago i ordered a box of 5/8 grade 8 course threaded nuts,
i opened the box and found them to be double threaded, they had been run twice
with both course and fine threads!

for kicks i torque tested a couple of them and found them to hold 170ft/lbs on the fine thread and 180lbs on the course thread
and that is spec and they held just fine, cool

the bowman guy wanted to get them back and i told him no way,, they are mine now
he wanted to know why i wanted them, i told him i now have one nut to fit both threads for that emergency job
along the road where i am constantly digging for one or the other and always have the one i don't need :)

the plug was installed at about 25 ft/lbs torque, no more
even at 25ft/lbs the force is far greater than the less than 1000psi at combustion put against the ~3/8" seat area.
what does that work out to be, about 110lbs of force exerted on it if the combustion pressure reached 1000 psi
i am relatively certain that 25 ft/lbs of screw force is far greater than 110 lbs.

so i am thinking it will probably work , i will let you know

bob g

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2008, 07:56:45 AM »
has a glowplug sort of thing you remove it and supposedly insert some wick, soaked in oil, light it and get it glowing

Been around for many a year.

My modern Hatz engines have that possibility, although they have never been cold enough to need more than the excess-fuel contraption.

Field Marshall had that type of wickburner to start the 10.5(?)l single cylinder engine.  Ok, except for the odd time it just wedged itself under the valve. 

Actually not sure if it was ever the wick that did that or whether it was just the cartridge wads that were sometimes a nuisance.  Yes, started by firing a specially loaded 12 guage cartridge (engines of the era of end of WWII).

The wicks were soaked in a 'nitre' mixture and dried, so they would burn (smoulder) consistently once lit.  A bit ike the modern fag that burns away even if not dragged.

Regards, RAB

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2008, 07:57:18 AM »
my changfa has a glowplug sort of thing
you remove it and supposedly insert some wick, soaked in oil, light it
and get it glowing,, insert it quickly and crankit up... i have no idea how well that works

the diameter is the same as a vw glowplug but has courser threads,, i have been thinking of
rethreading the vw glowplug and giving it a try.

failing that, the changfa glowfitting can be drilled out, tapped with the proper threads and a pencil
type glowplug installed i would think, might have to use a lock nut to keep it locked in?
i dunno,, i just started looking into that myself this week.

bob g

Bob,

Your 195 is a precup IDI engine whereas my 1115 is a DI. I have nothing like that that I am aware of on my engine.  Additionally I had actually not heard of this 'glow plug' existing on any of the Chinese diesels.  Can you please provide further description/information?  Does the plug you describe merely end up in the intake manifold near the intake valve event horizon or is it somehow ported into the precup volume within the head near the injector nozzle?

-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2008, 04:52:14 PM »
it screws down into the precup of the 195 changfa
and as far as i know the 1100, 1115 and 1125's being DI engines don't use them

maybe they have other provisions in the intake?
i don't know,, never paid the DI engines much attention.

bob g