Puppeteer

Author Topic: Stamford Newage 20 kw head  (Read 4344 times)

77st1

• View Profile
Stamford Newage 20 kw head
« on: November 13, 2008, 02:35:11 AM »
Hey there.I'm looking at a Stamford Newage 20 kw generator head.It is a single bearing unit that can be wired for single or three phase.I don't know much more than that about it.I plan to check it out on Saturday and would like to know what challenges I may be facing as far as getting this old gen head up and running.I probably will connect it to a Mercedes 5 cylinder diesel If the it proves to be a good head.
          Any easy way to check if the head is fried?  Thanks for your input........Mark Rose.....Nova Scotia

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
Re: Stamford Newage 20 kw head
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 09:12:05 AM »
   Mark,  Stamford is now owned by Cummins generator Technologies, and if you go to their website and look under "Stamford" and "Downloads" there is a series of
manuals, test procedures and spec sheets for many models which can be read or printed out Good luck and happy reading!  Regards,  Combustor.
Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.

77st1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 09:30:28 PM »
Thanks Combuster.I've done a little more research into setting up the single bearing unit and have decided against it. No doubt the stamford is a high quality head though. I believe I'm going to hold out for a dual bearing unit. Thanks again...Mark in Nova Scotia

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 10:39:26 PM »
Mark,

I  am surprised you can not adapt it for a back plate and bearing.  I would think that nearly all 20kVA sets are wound as 3 phase and you are able to take off the 3 separate phases, each a little under 7kVA.

Is it 20kW or kVA?  20 kVA would only be about 16 KW resistive if it is the usual power factor of 0.8 inductive.  Newage are based in Stamford, where I live, and are renowned for their robust sets.  Retired design engineer lives just opposite side of the road to me. Nearly all spares are available but are probably pricey (but the right part for the job).

Regards, RAB

77st1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 03:47:53 AM »
 I probably could adapt a plate and second bearing but I really don't want to go to the expense of purchasing and machining all the parts just to do something wrong and short out the head.I know they are top quality gear.I just think I'll search around a little for a two bearing set up.If I can't find one then I'll pick up the single bearing head.