Alternative fuels > Waste Vegetable Oil

Washing

(1/4) > >>

NoSpark:
Whats the best way to wash WVO? Is it necessary? Could you do the same to WMO?

1958steveflying:
We bio-diesel makers use washing processes but as far as i'm aware WVO would not get washed,  just filtered to probably 5 microns at least, and if you do cold filtering you will end up with a more reliable fuel.

Steve

NoSpark:
I get my WVO from a major food store once a week while its still hot. Ive been prefiltering through old bed sheets and it looks  pretty good, still amber. The problem is that they dump the oil into Cake Frosting buckets that haven't totally been cleaned. I'm lucky to get it this way. Would there be a problem with dissolved frosting or a lot of sugar in the oil? Was wondering if washing would take it out if it was a problem.

mike90045:

--- Quote from: NoSpark on November 09, 2008, 05:50:58 PM --- Would there be a problem with dissolved frosting or a lot of sugar in the oil?

--- End quote ---

I'd think water washing, well agitated, should remove all the sugar. 1 should be enough, but 2 passes would be plenty.

NoSpark:
Instead of asking what is the best way to wash I should have asked "how do I wash" I have an idea but in all of my research I find partial explanations. If someone could explain or give me a link that would be great! Is it as simple as misting the top of the oil and draining out the bottom? Lets say I wanted to start off with a 5 gallon bucket if possible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version