Puppeteer

Author Topic: Preheating  (Read 5822 times)

NoSpark

• View Profile
Preheating
« on: November 08, 2008, 06:16:54 PM »
Hopefully within a couple of weeks I'll be able to start running my 6/1 on my accumulation of WVO. I already plan to wrap tubing around the exhaust. Is it necessary to heat the oil at the injector? I figure the oil must get hot again just sitting in the injector on a hot cylinder head before its injected. I've seen a bunch of different preheating setups. Whats your experience? 
Anand Powerline 6/1 ST5

Geno

• View Profile
Re: Preheating
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 11:14:41 PM »
My injector always reads around 200°f when things are warmed up and about 5-10°f more with heated hp line. (fwiw) I’ve read the wvo is not in the injector long enough to get it hot. I don’t know if that’s true. I took the safe road and added 100 watts of heat to the hp line. The injector nut where the hp line attaches reads about 215°f. I don’t know the answer but the injector is a decent size chunk of metal and it should heat the oil once things are warmed up. I have around 1900 hrs on 90/10 wvo/rug and I haven’t cleaned out the carbon for 300-400 hrs. There was minimal build up back then.

Thanks, Geno

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 12:46:12 AM »
Just how high of a temperature can you heat the hp line with rug in the fuel safely ?.

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 07:59:23 AM »
Just how high of a temperature can you heat the hp line with rug in the fuel safely ?.

If you thin the fuel to the correct viscosity (isn't that why you add the petrol?) you will not need to heat the line at all. :)

Regards, RAB

Geno

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 11:13:03 AM »
At 170°f and 15% rug my wvo is still more viscous than ulsd. I’ve been hesitant to go with more rug because of engine longevity issues. In a heated tank there might be a safety issue if you checked it with a match. The temps and pressure in my hp line make boiling nearly impossible.

Thanks, Geno

NoSpark

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 02:21:29 PM »
I asked this question after hours of reading through threads (again) about heating and thinning, some are pretty old.. Just like to get the latest real world results. I saw somewhere before a T-fitting with a glow plug in it just before the injector, seems like a great idea except you'd probably want to find a way of cycling the plug so you wouldn't scorch the VO or burn up the plug. I know my results will depend on the load, type of oil, temp of engine, ambient temp and the list goes on. Blending would be better for me at this stage of my project than heating with electric tape ect. I also have quite a bit of WMO. It would be interesting to know how members made out with the blends they were going to try. How did the rug or acetone blend work? What %? Has anyone tried the Schur blend with WVO? The fact that this is currently a hobby and not yet a way of life I can afford to experiment without fear of down time. Thanks
Anand Powerline 6/1 ST5