Puppeteer

Author Topic: Stiff rack  (Read 3987 times)

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
Stiff rack
« on: October 30, 2008, 03:18:06 AM »
I've noticed that the operation of the governor seemed sluggish on start up. I separated the linkage at the rack to see where the binding was. It is in the rack. It has not been run much lately and I've been running a diluted mix of wvo/diesel. Anyone have an idea if this is a sign of impending failure or just use it with some fresh diesel and see if it loosens up?
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
Re: Stiff rack
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 10:58:09 AM »
Had a similar problem recently. Ran my Lister VA Start-o-matic set (aircooled version of an 8/1) on a veg oil blend at a local display a few months ago, changed it back to
diesel for a while and locked it back in a seatainer in our tropical climate. Went to start it last week and the rack was locked solid. Did not fancy stripping the pump, so tried
another trick. Removed delivery valve etc. and inlet line, then blew out remaining fuel from pump with air hose.refitted inlet and filled pump body with acetone and let it soak a few minutes then was able to lightly tap the rack back and forth till free enough to work by hand. Reassembled and filled with diesel and it works fine. Don't know if you
have the same problem in cool climates but it's one to watch for!  Regards,   Combustor.
Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.

horsefly76

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 01:13:46 AM »
I always liked a nice firm rack ;D
2007 Metro 6/1 Running on Biodiesel (Thank's Sam!)
4 Hp Air Cooled Yanmar Clone
6.5 Hp Kubota EB-300 D
2007 kawasaki KLX 250 Dual Sport
2003 Jetta TDI 5 Spd.
1971 Lister SR1
2 Lister Petter LPA3

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 05:42:29 PM »
Due to rainy weather I'm runn'in the riod right now. I warmed the IP with a propane torch before starting and the rack loosened right up. So I guess it is the fuel. After I burn this tank I'll switch to pump diesel.
Tom

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 07:07:49 PM »
Update: Adding some acetone loosened things right up. I guess it was the WVO blend that sat in the IP over the summer.
Tom

sodbust

• PressMaster
    • View Profile
    • Oil press info and bio diesel use.
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 03:34:05 PM »
Running any veg oil mixture for fuel,, one item to watch for is the governor collar that the fly weights hook to can become stiff from the wax,, or what I call veg fuel jello,, on the cam shaft and not slide easy..  Had this happened with my 28/2 running a high ratio of raw veg oil/rug..   Cleaned with spray carb cleaner and changed oil and watched my fuel mixture and no problems since.

sodbust