Author Topic: Installed exhaust on the greasy 6/1:) with pics  (Read 8182 times)

greasy_burger

• Southern NH Biodiesel master
    • View Profile
Installed exhaust on the greasy 6/1:) with pics
« on: October 12, 2008, 10:10:45 PM »

Complete with racing Stainless tip:)
Passat tdi with greasecar kit,Vegtherm and Fphe
Excursion Diesel
Beckett Afg Fha
Metro 6/1 with 4k indians head
All burning Wvo or Homebrewed Biodiesel

ronmar

• View Profile
Re: Installed exhaust on the greasy 6/1:) with pics
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 10:25:29 PM »
Is that exhaust hangar on the top tight?  That propane tank is a lot of overhung weight if it isn't fully supported.  Even if the support is tight, I would still reccomend some form of flexible coupling between the propane tank and the cylinder head to keep vibrations from swinging that propane tank and possibly damaging the cylinder head casting or studs...  How hot does the upper muffler get when under load?

Ron   
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 02:59:07 AM »
hows the sound at the Racing pipe?

BTW that Rad needs to be moved out a bit so your fan can move air though it, I have a similar set up and under a long load it puts out a lot of heat.. enough to really warm my garage in the winter :D

There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 05:14:56 AM »
I see you have spring loaded ball type exhaust joints going into and out of the muffler, Bravo!
I was always thinking that the propane tank would be upright with the outlet at the top and the exhaust entering low on the side.
The exhaust inlet could be tangent to the side to have the exhaust swirl around the tank wall, an depart the top center of the tank in a low energy state.
On the other hand, I see your system has an immediate increase in volume, with the sound waves hitting the opposite (parabolic) end of the tank to dissipate (or reflect), then you tap the exhaust off the top side where the flow is perpendicular to the sound wave(s). 8)
I like it!
Scott E
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 07:01:55 AM »
Am I missing the drain?

If you are running intermittently, particularly on diesel, any condensate may well be eating your system away.

Sulphuric acid has a high boiling point and is a strong acid.

Regards, RAB

greasy_burger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 11:59:09 AM »
The spring loaded ball and cup allows plenty of movement while being very solidly mounted above, the radiator is actually about 5-6'' away from the wall and the fan pulls rather than pushes, seems to keep plenty cool, I actaully just got a cast iron unit and will be installing that soon, perhaps run coolant lines into my unheated garage on the other side of the wall. The oval muffler does have a small drain but perhaps another lower in the system is call for.
Excursion Diesel
Beckett Afg Fha

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 12:21:49 PM »
Creative install there !!  Just a comment on the hose used to the rad though. I worked in the flexible hose industry for over 15 years and can tell you that braided PVC hose has a MAX working temp of 60 Deg C , but at that it has to be massively derated from it's nominal spec at 20 deg C. You will probably get away with it for a while but it will fail unpredictably sooner rather than later. Best type to use is any EPDM rubber water hose. Also , I'd be a little uncomfortable with that muffler so close to those roof timbers !!
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

greasy_burger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 02:07:47 PM »
I agree on the hose, it's the best I could get at the moment, I will get some heater rated hose when I install the radiator, as far as the exhaust being close to the roof I measured temps after running for 4 hrs yesterday and max was 190F so it should be ok for now.
Excursion Diesel
Beckett Afg Fha

Petersbpus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 08:20:04 PM »
Greasy Burger
Those ball and spring exhaust are very nice and compact, do they wear well with normal vibration?
My SS mesh flex jount is pretty long(not yet installed) and a little worried how much gas will escape, but soot will seal it I hope,

Your hot water flange looks much like Taco Pump flanges, I checked mine, the hole pattern is only less than 1\2 hole off, keep in mind if ever replacement is required.

I do have a question about return water temperature, considering say 180 degree thermostat, what would be target temp for return water at the base of the head??
in other words, temp setting for radiator fan thermostat to kick on and off.?

I am going to be running Waste Hydralic oil and\ or WMO possibly with some old diesel mixed in, but  we want to keep the temperatures up there somewhat, I will have both fuel oil preheat at filter and final nichrome wire heater for injector line.
Bob
Listeroid 6/1 in progress
Alllis Chalmers 60KW 3 ph
Changfaoid 12KW w/  auto shutdowns, modern AVR and panel
2nd Changfaoid 12KW Marine conversion w/ full auto shutdown and remote panel
Changfaoid 7.7 hp driving 5kw alternater /inverter,
other diesel gensets bought fixed and sold

greasy_burger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 08:55:46 PM »
The flex's were recommended by a friend, he uses them alot on high wear flex areas were the mesh doesn't hold up and they are stainless as well, I already have a T-stat installed in the head as per utterpower CD and yes those are circulator flanges, very close just needed a little coaxing with the dremmel to fit:)
Excursion Diesel
Beckett Afg Fha

TheSitRep

• Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid!
    • View Profile
    • The Sit Rep
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 08:08:47 PM »
I cut a nipple in half and welded each piece to a glass pac and screwed the pepper can to the end. I have the thing pointed straight down and it is quieter than the lifters.
Metro 6/1
Utterpower PMG