Puppeteer

Author Topic: New to the forum  (Read 5237 times)

akghound

• View Profile
New to the forum
« on: March 24, 2006, 05:36:52 PM »
Wow!!! I have been thinking of starting a "Lister Forum" but now I have found this one, Great!!
I have a 16/1 GM powering a 12KW St Head. We live off grid and other then a small inverter this is our only source of power at this time. Our engine runs an average of 18hrs per day. Sometimes in the sub-zero temparures it will run 24/7 for days on end. The main fuel is WVO, We start and stop on diesel.
I'm excited to read through the forum, See ya around.
Ken Gardner
One Day At A Time
96 Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4 / Homebuilt WVO conversion
Listeroid Generator on WVO / Living off grid

ceiii2000

• View Profile
Re: New to the forum
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 06:02:39 PM »
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 12:54:54 PM by ceiii2000 »

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 07:00:09 PM »
Welcome, how many hours do you have on the engine? And how long have you been running this setup. I'm headed down the same path with a 6/1 5KW.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

akghound

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 07:24:20 PM »
I really don't know how many hrs are on the engine, never kept track. We have had this setup for almost two years so it is in the thousands somewhere. My wife is a stay-at-home mom so she keeps it working most of the day. We heat some with it, of course it heats the Gen-shed, I have a coolant type Heat Exchanger in my WVO barrel as well. WVO consumption is less then 5 gallons a day, and only a quart or so of diesel is burned. Good luck with yours, if I can hepl just let me know.
Ken Gardner
One Day At A Time

schoust

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 08:32:59 PM »
   Hey Ken hows it going??I'm almost done with my Dodge is your recipe still the same?Have you changed anything since the last time we talked?I am also in the process of doing the same as you with a little twist,I will be selling some of my generated power back to the grid if all things work the way I hope...Ralph

akghound

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 08:55:57 PM »
I guess "Birds of a feather flock together" I find several others here from the other forums I visit. My Dodge Cummins is being rebuilt. I will be back on WVO with it pretty soon.
Ken
One Day At A Time

DirtbikePilot

• Spinning flywheels are cool....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 04:28:55 AM »
I guess "Birds of a feather flock together" I find several others here from the other forums I visit. My Dodge Cummins is being rebuilt. I will be back on WVO with it pretty soon.
Ken

What's wrong with the Cummins? I just got my 4th dodge cummins (98 12v in the exact configuration I was looking for ;D ) and I'm VERY happy to be back after owning other vehicles for the last 19 months. I've read that wvo is hard on rings. Does that have anything to do with the rebuild?

Diesels rule! 8)
Currently no listeroids, sad........ very sad.....
Just some other antique engines ranging from 40 pounds to 33,000 pounds each.

akghound

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 06:05:50 PM »
Being in a very tight financial predicament I went way over on the engine oil changes. Going so long between engine oil changes allowed for polymerization of the oil to take place. As a result of this I had sticky lifters, bent push rods and valves, and a plugged piston skirt oilier. I believe this was the down fall of my engine. ( I know, changing oil is the least expensive thing to do. Please don't rag on me about it, I feel bad enough already .)
I had 60k miles on WVO and one piston, the one with the plugged oilier had a lot of carbon and stuck rings on it. I have sent this piston off to a friend to get an opinion of just what happened as far as burning WVO. He reports that there is a probability that I had run too much WVO that was not heated enough, maybe switched before the engine was up to temp, etc, etc thus contributing to the problems. This could be true, however I believe that the cause was the lack of oil changes. At any rate I WILL be back on WVO as a fuel ASAP.
 Ken Gardner
One Day At A Time