Puppeteer

Author Topic: Looking for a centrifuge  (Read 37837 times)

Grael

• View Profile
Re: Looking for a centrifuge
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 01:22:07 AM »
Yes, I've seen the pressure powered centrifuges, but I'm wanting a motor driven one. I don't want to mess with high pressure pumps, and with the other ones, you can control the flow rate more and so you can leave the oil in the centrifuge longer, getting it cleaner.

I will probably be getting the juicer based one here pretty soon now that I finally got my engine. Priority now is to pour the foundation and get it running. Then comes VO.  :)
GTC 8-1

"Traveling 33 RPM in an iPod world"

bschwartz

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 01:04:34 AM »
I've been running a dieselcraft and a copy for about two years now.  The ebay one is like my copy and it works near as well as the dieselcraft.  My oil is pretty clear looking before I filter it.  I pour through a restaurant fryer cone filter to get out the big chunks that can clog the centrifuge.  As I can't see the difference between oil filtered to 5 micron or .5 micron, I just run the centrifuge in my 55 gal drum (about 45 gallons of oil) for about 12 hours.  It may cost a few extra pennies in electricity (although I did just do a full batch off of the electricity from my 6/1) but I know my oil is clean.  I run a 1980 240d, 1984 300sd, and a 1995 6.5 turbo diesel suburban.  I get several thousand miles from a filter, and I think most of the clogging is from thicker fats and oil, not dirt.
If you have any questions about what I do or why, please ask.  I've gotten so much from this forum, I'd like to be able to contribute. 
Oh, when I ran the 6/1 to power the centrifuge, I used a 50/50 mix WVO/diesel.
-Brett

1982 300SD, 1995 Suburban 6.5, 1994 F250, R170, Metro 6/ sold :( , Witte CD-12 ..... What else can I run on WVO?

bschwartz

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 04:52:55 AM »
Jens,

Is your sock plugged with pale goo or darker material.  I'm curious if it is thicker oils and animal fats which I haven't found a way around except a mechanical filter (sock, jeans, spin on etc.)
-Brett

1982 300SD, 1995 Suburban 6.5, 1994 F250, R170, Metro 6/ sold :( , Witte CD-12 ..... What else can I run on WVO?

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 06:29:05 AM »
aftertreatment to get those stringy bits that seem to get past the centrifuge
anyone using one of these?

http://www.colorfil.com/Omnis/Hardware.PDF

the 750 series is typical on older trucks, and should be widely available in truck boneyards for nearly nothing
nobody in trucking wants them anymore because spinon bypass filters are quicker to change.

the elements are cheap and they trap and hold a lot of finer stuff, as well as water, acids and other yuck

check out page 38, might be of interest?

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

prof.blink

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 12:33:51 AM »
mobile bob, i have an alison truck auto trans i am using the converter as a starting point for the big alumn bowl. as you know, it splits w/bolts and most of the machine work needed would be touch up to mount to double row face flange bearing. i plan on feeding from bottom through quill and  stub shaft and out flow through the top in simalar fashion. this will be used for waste oils. blink

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 02:17:25 AM »
that should be pretty cool and quite large compared to what is generally used here.

if a guy had an engine the converter could bolt up to...  that might be cool

remove the stator and elements from the converter, insert some of that absorbant rope
and let her spin while the engine is doing other duty

what would it take, a pipe going in with a 90 degree bend to admit the dirty oil, and then let the oil come back out of the
converter snout into somesort of pvc collar that is close to fitting into a bucket or barrel

that might work?

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

muns53

• Lister wanne-be
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 07:18:40 PM »
I use a WVO Designs bowl-type centrifuge. I didn't want to reinvent the wheel, so I bought the whole kit that Leon sells and it works great. I chose the bowl-type because I only wanted to clean with one pass and also didn't want to deal with a pressurized setup for fear of a mishap (my grease shack is messy enough without it).

There are threads out the various SVO/WVO forums that describe the DIY way to build a bowl-type CF. Simple Centrifuge and WVO Designs both sell bowls - or you could machine your own if you have access to a block of aluminum or machinist. You can pick up a Baldor motor and a large cooking pot and a dog bowl and make the housing yourself with a plexiglass cover, etc.
Heading towards personal energy independence...
Lister/Listeroid wanna-be
8.5KW roof-mount solar panels
'02 Ford Excursion 7.3L w- Vegistroke V3
'03 Jetta Wagon Tdi w- modified Greasecar

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2010, 12:51:52 AM »
Guys, just remember a home built fuge spun at 1750 or 3600 rpms if not PERFECTLY balanced can and will grenade with possible catastrophic results, a dancing listeroid would not even hold a candle to an unbalanced fuge.
BioDiesel Brewer

Grael

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2010, 12:57:47 AM »
That's why you put a thick steel blast shield around it.  ;)
GTC 8-1

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2010, 01:59:11 AM »
I have a 300 gallon tank with two SpinnerII oil pressure driven fuges on it, I use it to clean and dry oil before bio processing, I can clean and dry 300 gallons of wvo in about eight hours.
BioDiesel Brewer

Grael

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2010, 02:33:18 AM »
Now that I got my engine up and running, I should really get going on this centrifuge. I'm probably going to go with the modified juicer route. I really don't want to mess with high pressure pumps and stuff.
GTC 8-1

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2010, 02:39:23 AM »
80 psi is really not all that high of pressure, I use push lock hose and fittings on my fuge setup.
BioDiesel Brewer

Grael

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2010, 02:59:55 AM »
No, it's not that high, it's just that I don't want to deal with it. I would need to get a pump, control the flow and pressure, get the pressure rated hoses and connections, AND get a centrifuge. I like the spinning bowl type ones just because of brute simplicity. Just feed in the oil at whatever volume and let it do its thing. The lower the flow, the more time it stays in the centrifuge, and the cleaner the oil gets in one pass.
GTC 8-1

bschwartz

• View Profile
-Brett

Veggiefuel

• Energy Machines Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Energy Machines Ltd.
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2010, 01:54:52 AM »
GM90 engines, Changfa's, Voltmaster Generators, Pellet Mills - www.energymachines.ca