Puppeteer

Author Topic: How long can you store wvo?  (Read 7776 times)

captfred

• View Profile
How long can you store wvo?
« on: September 27, 2008, 10:31:38 AM »
So how long can you store this stuff?

Got lots of oil readily available from multiple sources.
Got a ready supply of surplus 130 gal propane tanks I can pick up for 20 bucks ea., less in quantity. (55 gal drums are more expensive - go figure).
Got a surplus underground quansat hut (munitions bunker) to store it all in.

So, does anyone know how long you can store wvo without it going off (stinky, slimy or whatever that makes it unusable)?

Cheers, Fred

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
Re: How long can you store wvo?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 12:08:59 PM »
        Fred, sounds like your lucky day just arrived! If the oil looks and smells good when you get it, provided you can settle out any free water and gunk, and store in clean sealed containers,(as in your bunker), it should be good for years. If containers are near full to exclude air, you should be fine.  Regards, Combustor.
Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.

biobill

• 'riods make good houseguests if fed right
    • View Profile
Re: How long can you store wvo?
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 01:14:26 AM »
Fred,
  I processed some a month ago that had been sitting in 5 gal pails w/lids for three years and it was fine. Water, crud, chicken parts, and french fries in the bottoms of the pails didn't seem to hurt anything and, being hermetrically sealed, may have still been edible ;D. The oil I decanted was clearer than what I usually get - probably from sitting so long. We don't have your temperate climate here. Temps range from -20 to 95F so YMMV. I've yet to see any "spoiled" or hardened oil that was kept in an opaque sealed container with minimal air space. Think linseed oil.     Bill
Off grid since 1990
6/1 Metro DI living in basement, cogen
6/1 Metro IDI running barn & biodiesel processer
VW 1.6 diesels all over the place
Isuzu Boxtruck, Ford Backhoe, all running on biodiesel
Needs diesel lawnmower & chainsaw