Puppeteer

Author Topic: 6/1 Cam Installation Question  (Read 8758 times)

hotater

• View Profile
Re: 6/1 Cam Installation Question
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2006, 05:24:00 PM »
binnie---

You can use either type of radiator and use either of them in two ways:

First you can have a thermosyphon moving water from the 'heater' engine through the 'radiator' to loose the heat and cyle it back through the engine.....

OR you can use them as a 'condenser' where hot water and steam enter in one place and cold water is drawn from the other.

All that's constant (without a pump) is that the hot water comes from a higher source than the cold and that the cold water source has to be higher than the engine inlet.  The  rest is mostly cosmetics.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Stan

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2006, 10:57:28 PM »
I really believe in the thermosiphon system.  There's no belts to break or slip off, there's no pump to sieze etc.  The one caveate however is that the hot side hose must rise in a steady progression to the point where it enters the tank.  If it dips at any point, air can get into it and you lose the thermosiphon effect, and overheating will occur.  This is simple physics but it must have been a problem for the original lister folks because it rates a complete section with diagram in the manual.
Stan

Geno

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2006, 02:14:49 AM »
Radiator Fans: (pun intended) This is a steam radiator, (no cross flow passage or fittings on top) Fittings are on the bottom, one on each side depending on the application. I have another like this with 4 more fins and 80 years worth of paint. I also have a plain jane hot water radiator, not as sexy, which I’ll probably use on the genset. Its about the same size as a window fan and will be used to heat the garage. No pump just thermo. I want to use the hot water for the house but have to figure a good way to do it. The generator location is incompatible with below zero temperatures and pure water in the lines without spending big bucks, which will (at this time) take too many years to recover. All of the radiators were free from my brother who has restored an old house. I have to sell one that I’ve fixed up and give him the $.

Joe: No timing marks found. I jury rigged a dial indicator today and will see how close I got when I borrow a real one.

Guy, its not powder coated but it is painted black.
http://www.sprucemtsurplus.com/temp/steam-radiator1.jpg

Hotater: Thank you VERY MUCH for the info. I didn’t have the tools to bottom drill as you suggest but did everything I could with the tools available. It appeared to be drilled on center. I’ll have to think about my next move.

If you wanted to use a steam radiator like the one in the pic I think you could just fill it up about 1/2 way with antifreeze, put your hot in and cold out on oppisite sides of the bottom and just tilt it a couple inches toward the cold side. They shed a lot of heat but I'd keep an eye on it when its hot out.

Thank You, Geno
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 03:10:58 AM by Geno »

binnie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2006, 03:24:25 AM »
Hi Geno,
Fantastic that you have a whole matching set...nice going. The Gods are shinning on you! My gen shed is seperate from the house & I am planning to have a car type radiator for cooling the gen set in the summer time (to keep the heat in the gen-shed only) and taps to turn "on & off" a diverted run of the coolant through Thermo pex pipes underground upward to heat the radiators in the house during the Winter. (Main source of heat is wood with elect. back up for now).  My Gen shed is situated at a lower level from the house & in a stone basement of a two story out building. I hope thermosyphon will work. Only know it, if you try! I am looking at a heat exchanger for the muffler system too but will need a circulating pump on the line to heat the upper part of the gen-shed where I am planning the WVO set up, someday down the line. I will be running a mix of antifreez with water through the whole system.
Check out the picts on the Brits' Lister site from Andy (2 sections)
http://www.homebrewpower.co.uk/Picture_Albums/Generating-Shed-phase-2/
And here is some info on the Thermo pex...It may help you out with the winter climate. Where are you anyway? It can't be worse than up here in Que. Cda. or can it?
www.frontierheatingconcepts.com
Thanks for sharing the picts & your plans. binnie

Listeroid 12/2 Jkson with 10kw head, for backup now on diesel. Future interests: WVO, bio,  Cogen - Heat exchangers - solar.