Puppeteer

Author Topic: Hello all, time to de-lurk and introduce myself.  (Read 7475 times)

Wizard

• View Profile
Hello all, time to de-lurk and introduce myself.
« on: September 26, 2008, 02:20:03 AM »
I'm Wizard (got this nickname long ago when I fixed 3 mainboards in a row and all working).  Have wide interest in everything of electronics and mechanicals not just new have enjoying finding out about old stuff, even the ancient ones).  I do have lot of questions. :)

Lister/Listeroid and slow speed engines really appeals to me for as I don't enjoy appalling 3600 rpm "brawwwaa!" small engines does.

Noticed that some discussion about vibration what I'm not sure which vibration that transmits the most into the ground is it the jiggle up and down of the massive piston shaking the lot or the the ingition impulses?

I tried to google on generator heads but I couldn't find what I wanted for example 4 poles and 6 poles types as I wanted to see if there is available 5 to 15KW range even in 6 poles?

Chyrlser recently opened up their EV project that they been working on for 2 years, and their claim is 40 miles on battery then small engine turning a generator of some kind kicks in to keep the battery charged/charging and to run the electric motor or motors (just like diesel loco but with battery and small efficient engine) to net their claim of 400 miles with about 10 gallon of fuel.  Question is how much of battery to feed a claimed 200hp electric motor (I'd think of 100hp but mainly for torque) and how big the motor and avergage weight that motor really is?  This is not same as honda or toyota's hybrid vehicles which use engine & eletric motor via transmission.  Chrysler's version uses engine for keeping battery topped up.

I watched number of changfa engines running and noticed one thing I'm not comfortable with is high vibration (see things rattling and shaking to bits) even did have balance shafts.  Wouldn't 2 or 3 even four cylinders cut down the vibrations and make better use of balance shafts?

On number of older stationary engines I noticed many of the twin engine had piston moving together not in opposite and I realize that give better firing spacing, why not a rengineered "listeroid" with this feature and use balance shafts, aluminum pistons and forged rods?
I saw that on some discussions in older discussions here but I wanted to see if anyone could reply.

Take care and cheers, Wizard :)

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
Re: Hello all, time to de-lurk and introduce myself.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 06:14:48 PM »
Welcome aboard wizard. That is a lot of questions over a wide range of subjects so I don't know where to begin.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Wizard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 12:05:05 AM »
Hahaha.  Choose and pick the questions to answer that your experience is strong in that area.

I can wait for more people to chime in.

Cheers, Wizard

wrightkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 12:20:56 AM »
Welcome      Brother   ;D

SteveU.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 02:43:49 AM »
Hel looow  Mr Wizard. (waited years to be able to say that for real)

I'm not sure if others will be willing to process this eclectic collection of questions. I'll take a crack at a couple.
#1) It doesn't matter which is the greater contributor to vertical single cylinder engine shake. One will change with the RPM changing up or down. The other will change with increased/decreased load and RPM. They can be compromised balanced reduced in a narrow RPM range band. But still be very apparent below and above that RPM range. That why these engines were designed to always run at a fixed RPM.
#2) Why?
#3) I don't know. Sounds like too heavy,too expensive a system to me. They need something saleable in todays market NOW. Current competitors gasoline/diesel vehicles already get 40 mpg. Makes me glad I'm not with Chrysler anymore.
#4&5)These ideas have already been done by Lister, Petter and others on their later more modern designs; just buy something different.That obtainium. The other is unobtainium dreaming.
All my own opinions.
Cheers
SteveU.
Use it up. Wear it out. Make Do, or Do Without.
 Electrodyne 12vdc. AC MeccAlte 8.5kw
John Deere 950 w/Yammar 3cyl IDI; Peterson 21" sawmill w/20hp Kohler v-twin; four Stilh chainsaws,  Stilh weedeaters; various Kohler, Onan, Honda, Briggs, Tecumseh singles.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 05:51:39 AM »
personally i believe the changfa has gotten a bad rap!

and i am making it my lifes ambition to beat one into submission and prove it a worthy adversary of the listeroid.

with fuel prices only going higher, it would seem to me that efficiency is going to take on  a whole new meaning
to alot of folks.

even if you fuel with so called free fuel, such as waste oils, those oils even if virtually free have a significant value.
and it seems only prudent to use them in the most effective manner.

long live the mighty changfa!!

:)

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Wizard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 07:38:42 AM »
Whoops. I was tired when I was writing a question about two cylinder engines.   The old ones had both cranks in sync so pistons moves in unison so firing order is firing alternately instead of a beat of rat-tat like the motorcycle with the 180 crank.

Cheers, Wizard

SteveU.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 09:34:52 PM »
Hello again.
I think every one interested understood your twin cylinder layout.

Bob I think you may be right about the Changfas' except for useage with the very slow burning wood(H2, CO, methane) gas mixture. But where/who are the Changfa engine PARTS suppliers?

Wizard if you would please expand on your AC generator interest/useage I think you and I could both learn something useful from the other members.

Thank you
SteveU.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 09:55:45 PM by SteveU. »
Use it up. Wear it out. Make Do, or Do Without.
 Electrodyne 12vdc. AC MeccAlte 8.5kw
John Deere 950 w/Yammar 3cyl IDI; Peterson 21" sawmill w/20hp Kohler v-twin; four Stilh chainsaws,  Stilh weedeaters; various Kohler, Onan, Honda, Briggs, Tecumseh singles.

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 07:19:21 AM »
Wizard,

When stationary engines were put into (or was it onto?) tractors, one very well known manufacturer opted for the 180 cranks and their tractors became known as 'Johnny Poppers'. 

There were issues with 360 cranks as rpms gradually increased (for more power).  They broke.  Only once, mind.  One of the problems was a lack of central main bearing so the cranks flexed, presumably. 

Some of the very old motorcycles got round the problem (or reduced it) by having a V engine or even horizontally opposed cylinders.  Triumph and BSA kept the vibrating 360 cranks for years after Honda came on the market with much smoother (and high-revving) engines.

Multi (more than 2) cylinder tractors became the norm and JD only adopted in-line 4 and 6 cylinder engine designs towards the beginning of the 60s.

Regards, RAB

magneticanomaly

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 02:24:23 AM »
Wisconsin made in-line (gasoline) twins both with the 180 deg and the 360 deg cranks. Neither ever gave trouble, so far as I know ( i own and use several, and have worked on many), and neither had a center main bearing but both use tapered rollers at each end.  Interestingly, when they finally adopted a (plain shell) center main on the largest of their v-4's that bearing gives trouble.The 180 versions rev higher. The vibration of the 180 would include a pitching moment, the 360 a rolling moment.

The JD twins were a very successful design, renowned for torque and longevity. But I have always wondered how evenly the cylinders shared the load.

magneticanomaly

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 02:26:26 AM »
Sorry, I meant to add that JD made 180 deg twins in Diesel, as well as Otto.

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 11:04:45 AM »
magneticanomaly,

Intersted in the centre main.  Was the lube changed to full pressure by then or were they still using 'squirt' technology?

'Johnny Poppers'. They are JD two lungers.

Regards, RAB

Stan

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 03:14:34 PM »
I ran a JD 60 tractor for 6 years up in Dawson Creek (that's NOT Dawson's Creek, nothing like the TV show).  They are a wonderful engine, 2 cyl, huge amounts of torque, will pull all day long and never complain.  They are also available in a stationary engine configuration, I've seen them for sale on smokstak.
Stan

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2008, 10:38:53 PM »
was at a tractor auction today and they had one of the john deere stationary engine/the 2 cylinder power plant version/ went for $4.000.00///sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

Stan

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2008, 11:19:29 PM »
Whew!  Somebody wanted it badley.  The last one I saw was on smokstak and it was there for a looong time at $3K.  It was also completely rebuilt.  The advantage to a power plant like that is that JD would still have all the parts available for it.   The disadvantage to it is they are thirsty buggers, especially when pulling a load but I imagine they could spin a 20KW gen head with ease.

I had a tomato juice can over the top of the exhaust and would sometimes forget it on when I started it.  I could always tell then the tractor was level as it would come down from 30 feet or so and I could catch it without getting off the tractor.   ;D
Stan