Author Topic: Head nut torque  (Read 6423 times)

contaucreek

• View Profile
Head nut torque
« on: September 12, 2008, 11:35:45 AM »
Does anyone have the torque spec for the head on an English 6/1 ? thx  Paul
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

lendusaquid

• View Profile
Re: Head nut torque
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 07:35:02 PM »
Tighten to 65 lbs ft for the 9/16" studs from the cylinder to the head, and 100 lbs ft for the 3/4 " studs that pass through the cylinder block to the cylinder head.

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 12:44:57 AM »
Thanks

listerdiesel

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 08:41:10 PM »

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 11:26:25 PM »
Thanks Peter. So, by looking at your chart, torque is determined by thread size and completely independent of application. Is this correct ? May I on occasion print your posted material for my CS binder? thx,  Paul.

listerdiesel

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 07:47:25 AM »
These figures were given to me by David Harris, and were used by the factory. Torque is nearly always determined by the thread/stud size, and these are also 'one-shot' settings, although I usually just check again after the engine has run and cooled off.

Feel free to use as required. Please acknowledge the source if posting on the web or on a website.

Peter

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 09:30:49 AM »
Paul, just a note of explanation on your comment torque is determined by thread size and completely independent of application.

Engineers designed these engines around what was available at the time .  They would not have fitted 3/4 studs if the torque could have been much lower - they would have used thinner/cheaper/less-wasteful-on-material options.

The torque was then applied to fully utilise the clamping ability of the fixings.  Simple as that.

An alternative could have been finer threads which could achieve higher clamping forces (which were not required) - and coarse threads are easier and cheaper (and less likely to get damaged?).  Those engineers knew their stuff :)

So, no, the application was taken into account.  They chose 3/4 studs for that application  So it followed that the torque was 'as given'.  We tend to now go round full circle, but the engineer had covered all the specification requirements on his standard list and had come up with the cheapest/easiest solution.  So he stopped and moved on to next issue on his list. 

If at any time he found something elsewhere that called for a different solution than that had been covered above, he would go around the above loop again to check out any changes which might be required to the design before even starting to make the item.

Complicated , but a simple procedure.  Computers now look for these anomolies and flag them up on CAD systems.

i write 'he' for the engineer.  Almost universally they would have been a 'he' in those days.

Regards, RAB