Puppeteer

Author Topic: Oil field engines  (Read 27120 times)

DaveW

• View Profile
Oil field engines
« on: September 10, 2008, 02:25:29 PM »
  As some of you may remember I have retired and am in the process of moving back to west Texas.  My wife says she is still having fun working and took a job in Big Spring, so over the weekend while I was out there we went driving through to get some chores done.  On the main drag is a large shop, engine and pump rebuilders.  I was caught with no camera and the shop was closed for the weekend.  On the front line painted up and ready to go were two Ajax singles, an older Arrow single, a FM Z single, and the cutest little FM Z, about 1 1/2 HP. Behind that was a line of pumps, and behind those was a line of mostly FM singles and an Ajax twin in for rebuild.

This weekend I will be back out there with another load.  The plan is to take a camera, and go when the shop is open.  That Arrow caught my eye and I have to know what they want for it.  The Ajax twin makes me drool, but I haven't figured out a likely use for an engine making 54 HP and weighing over 4 tons, at least nothing that the wife will agree to.  She seems to think that 5 engines and two in the process of rebuild should generate all the power we might ever need.

I may be forced to part with 2 or 3 to make room for some new toys.  My Lister ST2 is a good runner now, but air cooled engines are loud and  one of my brothers is pining over it for backup power.  That Arrow calls to me.  Will post pictures sometime next week.  Now I have to go build the next load and get out of Houston before the hurricane comes in.  Like the old fool I am, I've moved all my generators to the west and have nothing left here if the power goes out - make that when the power goes out.

contaucreek

• View Profile
Re: Oil field engines
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 11:44:35 PM »
Looking forward to the pictures of the big engines. We dont get any up this way but see the odd Reid at the shows.Would you run them on propane ?
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 12:38:27 AM »
I imagine the Arrow is upward of $6000.
MLG Gib Key Pullers

DaveW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 02:53:10 AM »
C Creek -

The Ajax engines and the FM's are set up for propane, the Arrow looks to be set up for dual fuel.

MLG -

I understand the probable price, but it might be the last engine I ever buy to build another generator set.  Age and energy don't seem to go hand in hand.  I just finished loading 4500 boxed books on a trailer to take out west, and I can barely type.  Most of my reference books are so old I can't find replacements, or I would abanbon these in place and buy more when I get settled.  No, not true - that's just the tired talking.  I have learned and taught and designed from these books for decades, and couldn't stand to part with them.  The only good thing is I have plenty of kin folk to help on the other end of the trip.  I should have taken more time, but the weather is rushing me this trip.

DaveW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 12:09:04 AM »

Back in Houston from out west.  The storm was bad, we just got our power back on yesterday evening here.  Many many people still do not have power or water.  My house is ok, though some around me were damaged or destroyed.  Helped this last week with roof patching, tree removal.

I made the trip to Big Spring and talked with the owner of the rebuild shop.  A nice guy, with lots of info but most of the engines he works with are much too large for my use.

[/img]

The Ajax singles in front are 52 HP, and large.  The FM in the rear is much smaller, but still more than I need.  He deals mostly with the larger stuff, but put me on the trail of some smaller engines.  The Arrow I saw last trip was sold for 8400.  To my surprise the Ajax engines go for about 10,000.  I did not realize they were valued higher than the Arrows.   The owner gave me the card of one of his friends in the business who carries smaller stock.  The friend bought a truckload of the small (1 1/2 HP) FM Z models at a recent auction and seems to think I could be the owner of a working pull for about 200.  At that price probably more than one will follow me home.  These are set up for propane and I realize the price of propane is high and going up but I have a need for a small engine to help with equalizing my battery banks.  A small Z with a purpose built PM generator on the side would fit the bill nicely.

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 01:12:41 AM »
the F/M Z at 1 1/2 hp will not help you very much//even a 3-4 hp will not do that much// we are talking about a gas engine with very low rpm/also the engines have a lot of age on them and they are not built with the quality of the listers/F/M built more engines than any one else during that period and had the model Z as low cost as possible///some did not have cut gears, just cookie cutter metal disc punched out and stacked to make a gear//the 1 1/2 Z had a selling price of under $50.00/especially the dishpan model// good show engine but I would not put one in long term service//working very hard.of course your milage my vary/sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 03:49:25 AM »
DaveW,

From your picture, Big Spring looks like an abandoned ghost town.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

wrightkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 12:42:08 PM »
cool! BIGBOY toys. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 12:40:24 AM by wrightkiller »

DaveW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 04:10:10 PM »

Sid -
     My big generator can push over 180 amps for bulk charge, the wind generator mostly will keep up with the day to day recharge for even my big AGM battery banks, and the solar panels help when the sun shines.  But I am rabid about a monthly equalizing charge for the battery banks and sometimes the wind or sun won't cooperate.  I have always wanted a small high voltage/ low current source for that purpose.  This is the reason I give the wife for "needing" another engine.

But mostly I think they are cute and I want one.  This wouldn't be a high hour item, just a few hours a month.  I hate small gasoline screamers and don't want to run the big generator at such a light load for hours at a time. As to cheaply made, I have a friend who has kept his little 24 volt battery bank topped off for over two years with one of these, and it seems to fit the bill nicely.  Is this enough rationalizing yet?

RcaVictim -
     Actually Big Spring at 25,000 people is considered practically a big city in these parts.  Most towns are anything more than 3 buildings next to a clieche road ( think crushed limestone - nasty when wet).  I just happened to catch the main street devoid of traffic, which granted isn't hard to do.  Brings to mind the time when my sister-in-law was whining about the rush hour traffic - looking around for blocks in every direction I counted 7 vehicles including the one we were riding in.  After decades of working in Houston my wife and I got a good laugh at that one.

Wrightkiller -
     YES!!  But I need help with a good straight faced requirement for mounting one next to the barn.  The wife turns a cold eye on 'toys' these days.

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 11:24:38 PM »
DaveW,,, some good advice, keep all of your engines the same color/ I found out that most wifes can not count, they only notice color.if they ask is that a new engine, no dear, I have had that one for ever.but if it is a different color, it is hard to talk your way out of it..also keep them together/ that way they all look the same..I have been able to accumlate a large collection and she has never noticed///sid.
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

Stan

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 02:49:19 AM »

sodbust

• PressMaster
    • View Profile
    • Oil press info and bio diesel use.
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 12:08:58 AM »
We are blessed with allot of oil field engines out here in west Kansas.  None that run well are going cheap.. ( $3000 to $10,000 ) $140 oil added to there value, and panic to get them in remote areas to power a pump.  Now that the price of oil is going down again,, one might start finding some bargains in a few years.

I agree,, women cant count, but can see different colors.. Painting them all the same works for me also..  I lost count how many "Lister" green engines I have now..

sodbust

DaveW

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 02:45:50 PM »
  Maybe paint color is a part of my problem.  I have too many choices in my paint locker. 

Just finishing up a rebuild on a Quincy compressor from the barn in West Texas.  There is a local dealer here so I brought it to Houston for the rebuild.  While down in the City of South Houston to get parts, I walked back to the shop to talk to a mechanic about the valve settings on the head.  It startled me to see rows and rows of new Lister Petter one and two cylinder air cooled engines on pallets ready for shipment.  The man said they are mostly destined for pump duty in the oil patch.  And of course my camera was at the house.  I have to go back this morning for (hopefully) the last part I need, so will take my camera.

DaveW

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 12:12:51 AM »
Nope, sorry, I couldn't get the image from the new photo gallery to link for me. Guess I'll have to study more on how to make it work.  It is easy enough to get the images to the gallery, but when I try to insert them all I get is a line of code inserted.  Back to school for me.

wrightkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 12:53:37 AM »
   to move a picture from the new gallery to this string ....open the picture you want to move ....right click on it  click on properties         copy the address ..swipe..copy then...  open string ....open  insert Image        place the address in between  Image  holders     paste between     this should do it
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 01:04:59 AM by wrightkiller »