Author Topic: Parts source  (Read 5508 times)

contaucreek

• View Profile
Parts source
« on: September 04, 2008, 11:46:24 AM »
HI everyone. In need of a small end bush and a wrist pin for my '57 6/1. Any N.A. suppliers? I tried Central Maine but he can't supply just these parts as of yet so anyone else ? I can apparently order from Stationary engine parts U.K. if need be. Any experience dealing with him guys ??   Thanks, Paul.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

oliver90owner

• View Profile
Re: Parts source
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 01:55:13 PM »
Paul,

Any decent engine reconditioning workshop should be able to fix you up.  They would press in the bush and ream it to size for the piston pin.

I have dealt with Steve at Stationary Engine Parts and would deal again.

Regards, RAB

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 05:07:34 PM »
I would suggest the following as an alternate to traditional Lister part suppliers;  McMaster Carr, your local bearing supplier, and (what I did) about 25 minutes with a lathe and you can machine your own from a piece of bearing brass.

Bob

Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 10:52:37 PM »
Good ideas guys. Would they provide a "to size" wrist pin ? Even if the dia was o.k. i could trim the length. My toolie friend does not want the liability of making me engine parts !! Is the pin a true 1.250' dia ? Would a tooling supply house provide a dowel which would likely be oversize or an actual wrist pin. You have given me food for thought. My engine machinist was cost prohibitive but I didnt even consider the prospect of an "off the engine suppliers shelf" pin.

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 07:38:01 AM »
Generally a gudgeon pin will be a heat treated or case hardened affair and it will be ground to sze, not turned.  While that may not be a problem at the speeds and specific power of a Lister, I would be reticent to put in a lower spec material if the engine is going to be loaded and work hard for years to come.  I would think the bush is a phosphor bronze and likewise a show engine would be perfectly sorted, but a workhorse may not like a simple brass bush.  Brass coveres a mutitude of recipes.

Regards, RAB

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 11:48:28 AM »
True enough, bronze is the material not brass. I will make a few phone calls today and see about a pin.  P.

listerdiesel

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 02:46:07 PM »
Jeez! takes 15 minutes just to get to the point where I can reply to a post on here.... >:(

We may have some new small-end bushes in amongst our new stuff. I'll also look to see if there is a spare decent gudgeon pin.

We have adjustable reamers up to 1-5/8" so we normally knock up a bush in the lathe and ream to size, but if you haven't got that facility then you'll have to get it reamed locally.

There are various grades of Phosphor Bronze, the porous type is probably best for a small-end bush as it holds oil in its structure, while drawn or extruded does not have that.

Peter

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 12:02:50 AM »
Thanks Peter, will wait for your reply. This site very slow at times. You have mail re the 2hp ball top.Thanks,  Paul.

abbamovers

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 09:06:40 PM »
Paul, have you tried http://www.realdiesels.co.uk/listerparts2.html  ?
I assume you are looking for the bush with part number 5-1/D7A or no. 8-4-7-1 .
It fits all CS engines including the 8/1 and 16/2 with 4.5" bore, but not the 3/1 engines.
They quote a price of 28 Pounds Sterling not including shipping to Canuk land.
So it might be a bit spendy, but it is the real McCoy.
Not sure if they still have it, but it seems that when they run out of something they take the price off the web site, so they may still have it.
Peter might have better luck.

No connection to the above outfit just like the real stuff, it is of a known quality, not sure of the Indian metalurgy .

« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 07:07:06 PM by abbamovers »

listerdiesel

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 08:27:34 PM »
Thanks Peter, will wait for your reply. This site very slow at times. You have mail re the 2hp ball top.Thanks,  Paul.

Sorry it's been a while, the bush and small spares box weren't where I thought they were!

Had a couple of rummages but couldn't find anything, then had a brain-fart and went straight to the box  ;)

There is a single small-end bush in there, looks new, if you are still interested, let me have the dimensions of your old one to confirm we have the same parts.

It's a steel-backed bronze bush with lube hole.

Peter

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 11:30:11 PM »
Thanks Peter. I didnt want to bug so I went ahead and sourced another one-it's been an adventure. The shop lost a pair of my cotters, cost over-runs, various outsourcing jeez, you'd think the government was in charge of this !!

listerdiesel

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 07:16:09 AM »
That's all part of the fun!

Glad you're sorted now.

Peter