Puppeteer

Author Topic: TS2 for sale, comments please.  (Read 3510 times)

Rumiton

• View Profile
TS2 for sale, comments please.
« on: September 02, 2008, 02:16:26 PM »
Hi all.

I am setting up a solar-powered machinery shed out in the bush. I like the idea of a Lister for back-up, having lived and worked with them in the merchant marine (lifeboat motors and emergency generators.) They were amazing there, if one didn't start it was because someone forgot to put the fuel in.

For this project I need about 8 KVA for rainy days. This item came up on Ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=230285446289&Category=105813

What do you guys think? Can you tell how old this unit might be? Any problems you can foresee?

Thanks in advance.

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
Re: TS2 for sale, comments please.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 05:07:18 PM »
 Agree most Listers are near bulletproof. Is your solar gear all single phase? This 3 phase unit is probably not rewireable for 1 phase, so you would have to split your loads into
 3 separate 1 phase circuits to use full generator output, but OK if you plan to run 3 phase gear. You will only be able to start 3 phase motors which draw under 30 or 40%
of max. generator output.   A bit close to new price just for standby use.  Look for a guaranteed used unit with a few more hours on it.  Regards,  Combustor.         
Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.

Rumiton

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 03:31:44 AM »
Thanks Combustor. The solar system is single phase, but I am not sure if this machine is 3 phase or not. I asked an electrician friend and he said he thought it might be single phase with the 415 volts measured across 2 phases, rather than 3. This elec stuff is a bit of a mystery to me.

Thanks for the other info. I am having a look his afternoon, I'll let you know.

Rumiton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 01:56:34 PM »
Well, you were right on all counts. It is 3 phase, and pretty much unusable, except maybe for an old-style welder. I can't see 8.8 KVA being enough for serious 3 phase work. The hours shown were 86, and it does look clean and oil-tight, but the machine was made in 1984. The guy proudly told me it still had the original oil in it. A wasted trip, 7 hours driving all up.

Ah well, all good experience I guess.