Author Topic: The latest in the saga.....  (Read 4097 times)

rocketboy

• View Profile
Sadly, artificial intelligence will never be a match for natural stupidiy.

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: The latest in the saga.....
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 03:47:28 AM »
I see what apears to be a grounding rod there.

Just currious but what are the local codes for back up generators in Florida?

Very nice work BTW. How much would you charge to fly up here and finnish mine lol.

Doug
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

cschuerm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 08:00:02 PM »
Thank you for the updates on your projects Rocketboy!  I'm in the process of building a new house/shop and am planning to build a separate building for my lister as well (for the same reasons you mention).  I'm pretty happy with the rig I've built onto a trailer and plan to simply relocate it to a permanent mount.  I have two 24/2's and plan to set them both up.  One will provide single phase power and the other 3phase.  I'm trying to design some creative means to allow me to use either engine to drive either gen head, but havn't come up with the perfect solution yet.....

nice work!
Chris

rocketboy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 12:18:22 AM »
Thanks all,

The flex pipes work well but do leak a bit. Need to be careful with ventilation etc.
The ground rod was no more than common sense. The little gen shed is not connected to the house or anything else for that matter unless the thing is plugged in to house wiring. This gives me lightning protection (emp as well).

Bob

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 03:49:03 PM »
Great job.
I am considering building a new shop and a a powerhouse will be part of the project.  It will house the Lister generator, possible the Lister air compressor, the rotary phase convertor, and the electric air compressor.

All the heat and noise generating equipment will be contained away from the main buildings. 

That is the plan anyway...

I noted some noise from my ST15 bearings.  I should get some coming so I can replace at my lesure instead of a emergency.  Do you recall the bearing numbers?

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 04:39:29 PM »
In my ST12, the bearings were installed without cleaning out the cosmoline like substance. Running my genhead just made that stuff dry out all the more. By the time I took mine apart, it looked like semi dried varnish and smelled bad.
I took the genhead apart and lubed them up with some standard EP-2 grease. these bearings are on mine are not sealed type, and there is no provision for a zirk fitting.
Eventually I'll have to open it up to re-lube the bearings, or put in some form of fitting so I can squirt some grease in there, or get some quality sheilded bearings...
But for sure, you will have to do something right away.
Scott E
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

rocketboy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 07:01:31 PM »
Great job.
I am considering building a new shop and a a powerhouse will be part of the project.  It will house the Lister generator, possible the Lister air compressor, the rotary phase convertor, and the electric air compressor.

All the heat and noise generating equipment will be contained away from the main buildings. 

That is the plan anyway...

I noted some noise from my ST15 bearings.  I should get some coming so I can replace at my lesure instead of a emergency.  Do you recall the bearing numbers?

Bob

either 6310 and 6309 or it was 6309 and 6308.

Sorry cant really remember, but there is a reference on the utterpower site that has the sizes. At any rate, do it before they become a problem.

Bob