Puppeteer

Author Topic: start-o-matic gen head question  (Read 10330 times)

potter

• View Profile
start-o-matic gen head question
« on: August 17, 2008, 12:08:53 AM »
hi guys trying to rebuild my gen head and have a problem.All wiring was cut off short or missing,I have replaced as best I can guess at.When conected to battery it moters fine,it will also light a 100w light bulb while running down so i think most is in order.My concern is when i connect the shunt field regulator which seems to stay in circuit at all times it seems to load up when trying to use as starter anyone know if this is normal or i have a wiring problem. thanks for any ideas  Christopher 

listeroil

• View Profile
Re: start-o-matic gen head question
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 01:55:07 PM »
If you leave a load conected and spin it up on the starter motor windings it will load up as soon as it starts spining. The start winding starts turning the DC generator which in turn poduces current via the shunt field regulatorto the AC field windings and AC is produced. It sounds to me like theres nothing wrong with yours.

MICK

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 12:10:10 AM »
I'd need to see a print.

In all honesty you guys find the strangest problems.
In the old days gys would just give me a generator and say oit doesn;t work.
It would have a burned winding or fizzled board to replace ect. But it was usualy something simple and obvious.

work done money payed and go home.

No offence intended with my statement bit I just never over thought things, follow the prints, use test equip and repair.....
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

listeroil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 10:36:06 PM »
Doug

Here are some prints for you to peruse.

1.The  Alternator is of the self-excited rotating armature type. The armature carries two sets of windings, one the A.C. winding which is connected to a pair of slip-rings and the other the D.C. winding which is connected to a commutator and provides excitation current to the main field system. The alternator also incorporates series starting windings which combine with the D.C. armature winding to act as a series motor for cranking the engine.

This information is from a 1959 Lister manual.

I got a striped down 4.5kw startomatic alternator I decided to have a go at rebuilding it myself. I got as much information about it as I could all of the above and more field coil resistances,  brush sizes, brush material, bearing sizes and worked how it all went back together. There were loads of missing bolts a broken brush holder I tested the resistances worked out which wires went where  i got new brushes made, got the commutator and slip rings skimed, bought new bearings, made a new brush holder from 10mm tufnol rod, bought new BSW and BA nuts  and bolts. I rewired the top box to Lister push button remote control design this does away with the startomatic box and makes life easier for me

Commutator skim        15
Bearings                     35
Brushes                      56
Bolts                          20
Brush holder                6
Heat shrink                  2
Flexible  mountings      6
Relays & Switches      20
Wire                           7
Connectors                  5
                  Total      172 gbp

Here are some pictures of what I started with but unfortunately I didnt take pictures of the rebuild when I did it but will if anyone is interested.

Mick

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 12:56:33 AM »
I don't see any pictures only small "X"s.

Please send me a PM and an email Adress and I will reply and help you as best I can.

Doug
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

wrightkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 12:59:00 AM »
What happened to the pictures??    I did not get to see them

potter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 12:31:43 PM »
Sure wish i could have seen the pictures :o

listeroil

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 07:50:28 PM »
Third time lucky

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

potter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 01:41:15 PM »
Thanks Listeroil the pictures look great, I sure wish mine looked as good as yours ;D mines all old and mangled, but I hope still functional.