Puppeteer

Author Topic: Vehicle insurance PROBLEMS in Alberta/Superintendent of Insurace Phone #  (Read 14621 times)

dieseldave

• View Profile
    I am having a problem insuring my Isuzu Elf 2 ton truck. After 3 weeks TD home and auto wants to cancel my policy because they claim that it is a COMMERCIAL TRUCK!

According to the Superintendent of Insurance for the Province of Alberta the Definition of commercial vehicle is 'A vehicle that wieghs more than 4500kg empty.' The Elf wieghs 2250kg.

I laid a complaint to the above department and TD's tune changed immediatley!  Then,TD phones back and said that they Googled 'Isuzu Elf' and got a picture of an Elf Dump truck,and wants to cancel my policy again! Another complaint to the above department.TD phones back and says everything is OK!    No wonder that when someone gets rear ended at 2kph,they phone a lawyer and ask them to bring a 'Horse Collar'

Superintendent of Insurance for Alberta can be reached at 780-415-1159. They are on your complaint immediatley!

ANYBODY ELSE HAVE SOME GOOD STORIES TO TELL ABOUT INSURANCE PROBLEMS?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 06:34:19 PM by dieseldave »

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
My grandfather and I had the same name and insurance company.

They kept getting us confused.

After his death when closed up his affairs they also declared me dead and cancled my insurance. I had a hell of a time getting that all straightened out

This isn't the first time I have been dead but that is another stroy.....
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
About eleven years ago I was passenger in a pickup truck which was hit head-on by a vehicle that crossed over the center line on Hwy 7A out near Port Perry, ON.  Both vehicles were totally destroyed in the collision.  Miraculously no-one was killed but I was left with knee problems, soft tissue and nerve damage, whiplash and fibromyalgia.  My own insurance company at the time The Co-operators sent me for all sorts of tests while paying me basically a minimum wage allowance as compensation for being unable to work.  They then cancelled my allowance, made me wait just long enough, then offered to make me a cheque for $3k in lieu of paying that $ to doctors for another series of tests if I would sign-off on the claim.  I was destitute and needed the money.  I was hurting and vulnerable and they played me like a song.  I have been unable to take any contract work or employment since as I spend most of my time bedridden and never know from one day to the next if I am going to be able to be up and around.  I have had to rely on doctor supervised prescription narcotic painkillerz to function ever since and am now addicted.

I wish I had had the sense to sue The Co-operators at the time, but I was recovering from a serious accident and was not 'all there'.  Unscrupulous agents will use such vulnerability to their advantage.  This company certainly did.

I have only been able to work on my wind turbine project about three days in the past month due to my condition, and it is because of my deteriorating condition that I desperately need this turbine for the heat and power it will provide when the family inheritance I was so lucky to receive and have been scraping by on soon dries up.  I have been on a very focussed crusade, doing my best to prepare for living on nothing over the past years before what physical ability I have now is all gone.  If my basic expenses are reduced to property taxes and food I may be able to scrape by on a government disability pension.

Dammit, two year provincial law or not I should still try to sue The Co-operators.   >:(

If in reading this post you get the impression that I wanted to make it as venomous as possible and that I am unhappy with the way I was treated by the aforementioned insurance company, you surmise correctly.  In case there is any confusion remaining as to the company I warn you to stay away from, that would be....

The Co-operators.   
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 10:25:44 PM by rcavictim »
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

dieseldave

• View Profile
   Thing is,Doug,you shouldn't have to have 'a hell of a time straightening things out'

If who your dealing with can't figure it out the first time,then they should not be in that line of work!  I spent 3 or 4 hours on the phone yesterday because some BIMBO seen a picture of an Isuzu Elf with a dump box!

dieseldave

• View Profile

rcavictim, the co-operators eh!   8 years ago I was proceeding through an intersection on my motorcycle when a car turned left in front of me. Lucky,I was not going fast. I got thrown off the bike and the bike landed on top of me. When I reported the claim,the cooperators denied having such a policy number in thier account. As soon as I said 'lets phone the cops and get him charged with having a car on the road with no insurance' they changed thier tune.

I was limping badly and they had a PI following me around in my car!

rcavictim

• View Profile

rcavictim, the co-operators eh!   8 years ago I was proceeding through an intersection on my motorcycle when a car turned left in front of me. Lucky,I was not going fast. I got thrown off the bike and the bike landed on top of me. When I reported the claim,the cooperators denied having such a policy number in thier account. As soon as I said 'lets phone the cops and get him charged with having a car on the road with no insurance' they changed thier tune.

I was limping badly and they had a PI following me around in my car!

Bastards! They had a PI shadowing ME TOO!  I was videotaped driving myself to Physical Rehabilitation which they had arranged but were not willing to provide transportation for me to get there.  That was the 'evidence' they used to cut off my allowance.  I had reported difficulty driving.  Well I still have difficulty driving because of fatigue and have not  been able to attend a hamfest in the US in many years, something I used to enjoy annually as combo vacation break and fantastical treasure hunt.  My vehicular journeys are now short trips only.
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

dieseldave

• View Profile

Alberta is the only Prairie Province that does not have  Public  car insurance. The Backward Political Ideology gets in the way of this. :o

It's called the ALBERTA ADVANTAGE!   Utility companies can charge whatever they like for Electricity&Natural Gas.
    ALBERTA ADVANTAGE means: In ALBERTA you can take ADVANTAGE of Albertans!  >:(

Like the Nurses Union Chief once said 'The only good TORY is a supposi-TORY ;D

OK, back to Auto Insurance Scams................'

oliver90owner

• View Profile
Most all insurance companies will screw claims down as low as possible.  Some will seem generous in sorting a small claim quickly, but statistics show them the optimum way to go.  Quick settlement means less solicitor/ litigation/correspondence etc.  They know from experience the best way for them to respond.

They are be-holden to the shareholders, not their customers.  If they can get out of paying, they will.  And they do. 

We were hit from behind while waiting to turn.  Unfortunately the other party was insured by the same company and there was no real gain for them to pass the costs to the other party......Makes life difficult for a long time.  The litigation was very drawn out before settlement.  But 8 years on I am still getting problems with my neck and shoulder.

If there were to be another claim those previous injuries would be used to reduce any future claim.

Regards, RAB

dieseldave

• View Profile
Oliver 90 owner,so UK is also private run insurance as well?

I have found out over the years to try to stay away from USA underwriters. They seem to treat Canada as a Banana Republic! :o

dieseldave

• View Profile

Latest update: One more phone call to present insurer of my house,VW jetta,and Yamaha V-star. Answer is NO,we wont insure the Isuzu Elf pickup truck.

Back on the phone to the Superintendent of Insurance for Alberta Government. 5 minutes after I finish talking to him,the phone rings.  It is Allstate's head office in Ontario asking me to send a picture of the Elf,so I did.  They  are compelled to insure this truck under Alberta Law!   Will ask again tomorrow about insurance,if the answer is no then its back on the phone to S of I.

Superintendent of Insurance is also persuing another complaint I have with TD home and auto(primmum insurance) They are charging me higher rates because they claim I am classified as Edmonton for location. I am Rural,about 30km from Edmonton. In fact,they have been charging every body to much as well.  Refunds may be in the Thousands of Dollars to people that are Rural!  They tried to screw me out of $300 and it's going to cost them Thousands!    THIS IS FUNNY!!!!!!!!!

rcavictim

• View Profile
Re: Vehicle insurance PROBLEMS in Alberta/Superintendent of Insurace Phone #
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 02:10:59 PM »

Latest update: One more phone call to present insurer of my house,VW jetta,and Yamaha V-star. Answer is NO,we wont insure the Isuzu Elf pickup truck.

Back on the phone to the Superintendent of Insurance for Alberta Government. 5 minutes after I finish talking to him,the phone rings.  It is Allstate's head office in Ontario asking me to send a picture of the Elf,so I did.  They  are compelled to insure this truck under Alberta Law!   Will ask again tomorrow about insurance,if the answer is no then its back on the phone to S of I.

Superintendent of Insurance is also persuing another complaint I have with TD home and auto(primmum insurance) They are charging me higher rates because they claim I am classified as Edmonton for location. I am Rural,about 30km from Edmonton. In fact,they have been charging every body to much as well.  Refunds may be in the Thousands of Dollars to people that are Rural!  They tried to screw me out of $300 and it's going to cost them Thousands!    THIS IS FUNNY!!!!!!!!!

Good for you Dave!!!  So there is sometimes hope for the little guy.  Stick it to 'em.  Payback is a bitch.

I have another insurance company problem now because a woman hit my car while parked and my insurance company wants to reward an outside party for my loss instead of compensating ME!(incredibly wise no-fault rule means MY insurance company has to cover my loss, NOT THE OFFENDER'S INSURANCE CO.).  I'm getting intercoursed yet again by an insurance company!
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 01:02:33 AM »

rcavictim, I don't get what you mean by 'compensate an outside party'? What province are you in?  The provincial government should have a Superintendent of Insurance or an Ombudsman.   Most of the credit for my VICTORY goes to the S of I for Alberta.

I am still ecstatic over Primmum insurance getting into HOT WATER for charging rural customers to much for insurance!

JAP TRUCK CAUSES MAYHEM FOR SHARE HOLDERS!

Stan

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 01:57:42 AM »
There was a concentrated advertising campaign years ago produced by the insurance companies designed to convince the public that they were there for the good of the public.  Sort of a beneficial public company.  Nothing can be farther than the truth.  The truth is:

1.) All insurance companies are just like all "for profit" companies and will do anything to "maximize profits and minimize losses"
2.) They will all work for the benfit of their customers, except when it conflicts with rule #1
3.) They will pay out benefits to their customers, except when it conflicts with rule #1
4.) The will tirelessly work to help less fortunate customers, except when it conflicts with rule #1

get the picture?
Stan

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 08:27:18 AM »

An electrician friend of mine WENT NUTS at an insurance office years ago,and started throwing around FILING CABINETS!

Thats how pissed off he was!  One of the most mild mannered guys on and off the job!

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 10:02:30 PM »
I hate insurance companies,bankers,lawyers,headstrong cops,scammers,thieves,diddlers,punks,and people that beat their "pets".You shoulda heard my insurance company when I told them I drive 100,00 km a year. Stunned silence then "you must mean 10,00 sir" Ya duh, sorry my mistake dumb azz.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire