Puppeteer

Author Topic: Kerosene additives for diesel eggines?  (Read 16501 times)

RJ

• View Profile
Kerosene additives for diesel eggines?
« on: December 15, 2008, 05:01:13 PM »
Just had 207 gal of home heating oil delivered today at 2.04/gal  :o . While I was talking with the guy I asked when he could make a delivery of Kerosene. He mentioned that he carried both on his truck and can fill me right now. I had him put 40 gal of kero in my 55 gal drum. I would like to use this for my tractors and back up diesel generator in case of an emergency. The tractor is a small 3 cyl Yanmar diesel engine that I use for plowing the driveway in the winter.The Generator is a Small 3 cyl Kubota engine. What do most people use to help #1/Kero lubricate the injection pumps? Should I mix a couple quarts of 20w engine oil to help the pumps lubricate?

xyzer

• View Profile
Re: Kerosene additives for diesel eggines?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 07:57:12 PM »
RJ
First I am not an expert in this area! But why did you get the kerosene? Cost or winter use? I would tend to run offroad red dye diesel in my tractor and generator and if cold weather use and gelling was a problem then  maybe add kerosene to the diesel. http://www.ezoil.com/Resources/Kerosene_Blended_Diesel_Fuel.html
Like I say I am no expert other than I also heat with oil and figured if I needed a fuel supply I would use that. I might learn somthing here!
Dave
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 08:09:52 PM »
If you think home heating oil is too thick to use as a diesel engine fuel in the winter you could add maybe 30% kerosene to cut it.  The lubricity of the heating oil would likely still be sufficient for your pumps and injectors.

You sure got a good deal on your heating oil.  What does kerosene cost you?  It was about $1.50 a liter ($5.70 US gal) here last winter.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 08:59:37 PM »
RJ's post also reminded me I needed to order fuel....I just ordered it here in Oregon $2.22/gal for #2 heating fuel and $2.43/gal for HWY diesel all taxes included for my truck. Last year sucked! I went and bought a pellet stove insert!  Rj's price is even better!
Dave
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

vt woodchuck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 10:30:02 PM »
Hi RJ;
Unless you live in Alaska, do not use straight kero in a diesel. It will wash the cylinder walls and cause them to score. As far as I know, no oil Co. has a true refined diesel fuel any more. Today it is made by blending 70% #2 fuel oil w/30% kero. This gives the fuel the closest viscosity and lubrication to a refined diesel fuel. Most trucks on the road are using straight #2 fuel when weather temps. allow. It actually has more power in it. During the winter months, especially here in Vermont the truck stops  will generaly  blend the fuel 60/40 or 50/50. With a winter blend in the tanks of my trucks and farm equipment I have never plugged the block heaters in or had my fuel gel. I don't even own a can of starting fluid. (really bad for the engine). I hope this helps.
Mike
Mike D.
1959-JD730 die., Dodge die.

RJ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 05:18:27 AM »
Hi RJ;
Unless you live in Alaska, do not use straight kero in a diesel. It will wash the cylinder walls and cause them to score. As far as I know, no oil Co. has a true refined diesel fuel any more. Today it is made by blending 70% #2 fuel oil w/30% kero. This gives the fuel the closest viscosity and lubrication to a refined diesel fuel. Most trucks on the road are using straight #2 fuel when weather temps. allow. It actually has more power in it. During the winter months, especially here in Vermont the truck stops  will generaly  blend the fuel 60/40 or 50/50. With a winter blend in the tanks of my trucks and farm equipment I have never plugged the block heaters in or had my fuel gel. I don't even own a can of starting fluid. (really bad for the engine). I hope this helps.
Mike

Thanks all for the reply's. First, Hey VTwoodchuck from a fellow Vermonter! There aren't many of us around ya know.

To the gentleman who asked why I got Kerosene. Most fuel places sell kerosene in place of off road diesel in the winter around here, either that or they sell #1 stove oil. What the difference between that and kerosene I don't really know. I did get Kero for a Kerosene heater that I use to heat my workshop in the winter. It's in a small barn that I have so it does the job. I figured I could also use it for my tractors. I have heard so many different stories. Some say go ahead and run it no problem. Others say to run some motor oil in it. I'm okay with putting motor oil in it, you can still pick up good old 30w for pretty cheap. I'm just not sure how much to use. Some people have said run some ATF during the winter as well.... there just seems to be so many "wives tails" out there.

xyzer the kerosene was 2.12/gal IIRC. The delivery guys never know the price it seams. He said that off the top of his head though. HWY diesel is still in the 2.79 range here so it costs considerably less to use HHO or Kero. VT state tax is 26 cents/gal on diesel last I checked. As I pointed out before, offroad diesel is usually swapped out for kero here in the winter.

-RJ

needenginerunnin

• interested in state of the ARK technology.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 07:26:00 PM »
evening all

if your using kero in your diesel engine, you need to put something in for sure.
kero isnt oily enuf by its self and will ware your injection pump out, not straight away. you can get away with runing the odd tin full.
you have been warned :)
i have used cheap two stroke oil with good results, it was designed to be burnt.
putting engine oil in doesnt help in cold weather as it is thicker than red dino!

cheers needenginerunnin
1949 6/1 electric smooth flywheels & ST 7.5, som base x3, cast indoor silencer X2.
1950's 6/1 som x2, spoked 6/1, LD1 som.
listerpetter LV2, PH1,LD1,SR1, PAZ1, AA1, LT1, AC1. 3.5hp yan clone.
politician's are like nappies, they need changing for the same reason.
take the pi$$ , full of sh#t.

SteveU.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 09:15:19 PM »
Hello
I agree with needsenginerunning.
Kerosene is formulated for good flowability and wickability, not lubricity. Unless the pump/injectors are designed for this they will prematurly wear.
Last winter I disposed of a 275 gallon tank of 15 year old stove oil (is like a low grade kerosene: no lubricity, excellant cold weather nongelling, and thin enough to gravity flow through an oil stove carburator) by mixing it first 20/1 with old chain saw 2 cycle mix oil. Most was burnt up in a neighbors oil furnace which has a high pressure delivery pump and a fixed orifice injector system that is designed for #2 diesel/furnace oil. I had promised to replace any damaged parts and pay service costs.
Ran out of the old 2 cycle mix and tried mixing new ATF. Took about a 20/1 to 30/1 to get the same percieved lubrcity as #2 diesel. Some brands of ATF were too prone to foaming when mixed.
Finished it up with modern 50/1 2 cycle oil mixed at a 30/1 ratio.
His furnace performed fine. My J.D./Yanmar tractor ran fine too except on some of the ATF mix would foam out the fuel tank from the injector return flow.
Both aplications had near full outputs, no smoking or coking build ups.
Saved me $2750. USD in registered disposal costs. Saved the neighbor appx. $750.USD on his annual heating oil bill.

SteveU.
Use it up. Wear it out. Make Do, or Do Without.
 Electrodyne 12vdc. AC MeccAlte 8.5kw
John Deere 950 w/Yammar 3cyl IDI; Peterson 21" sawmill w/20hp Kohler v-twin; four Stilh chainsaws,  Stilh weedeaters; various Kohler, Onan, Honda, Briggs, Tecumseh singles.

RJ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 05:58:20 PM »
Good info guys. Looks like a just a some 2 cycle oil in there and call it good :)

-RJ