Author Topic: white smoke What happened??  (Read 17874 times)

MacGyver

• View Profile
Re: white smoke What happened??
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 10:21:10 PM »
MacGyver,

It don't even suck.  It just fills by gravity.  Only a subtle difference I know, but that may give the impression that the tank could be lower than the IP, which is not the case.  It needs gravity - that is why Lister always specified the minimum height, above the IP, for the fuel tank.

Regards, RAB

Heh, well, you caught me.  :-[ 
Yep, it's necessary to keep a positive pressure at the inlet of the injector pump, whether it's from gravity or an external lift pump. (I'll edit the original post to read "admits fuel" instead of "sucks fuel")
Steve

JKson (PS) 6/1 'roid & ST 7.5

Petersbpus

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 10:46:53 PM »

I see white smoke sucks, injection pump don't suck!!
I have read a thread where the fuel from a tank placed to high, fuel ran on thru to the crankcase or was it the cylinder??
I'm planning an aux. tank for hydralic oil inside my domestic hot water heat exchanger, that will be at least 24" above the cycliner head,,,
theoretically not a problem because the selector valve will be in the diesel position(keeping origional diesel tank) when the unit is off and could rotate on over to the off position.
I haven't noticed a "check" valve, but the injection pump really shouldn't allow any flow.

Here's a link to the failed test run linked to this thread
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF7XAF2xZ0M
Bob P.
Listeroid 6/1 in progress
Alllis Chalmers 60KW 3 ph
Changfaoid 12KW w/  auto shutdowns, modern AVR and panel
2nd Changfaoid 12KW Marine conversion w/ full auto shutdown and remote panel
Changfaoid 7.7 hp driving 5kw alternater /inverter,
other diesel gensets bought fixed and sold

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 08:29:28 AM »
fuel ran on thru to the crankcase or was it the cylinder

Check valve?

Petersbpus and Jens,

I daresay if it can happen, it will have happened.

But what about that little needle valve which needs about umpteen bar to 'pop' it?  Called an injector.  If that leaks at 0.2 bar, you are in trouble!!

Yes too high can be too high.  Why put anything so high that if it leaks it floods everywhere?  Why use any higher pressure than you need?

Not sure how fuel can get into the crankcase from the external IP.  It would leak onto the floor first?

Usually this 'leaking fuel into the engine is assosiated with gravity carburettor systems where the float valve leaks, or in engines with mechnical lift pumps where the pump diapragm has failed.

Regards, RAB

Petersbpus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 11:31:25 AM »
"Not sure how fuel can get into the crankcase from the external IP.  It would leak onto the floor first?"

Fuel leak on line leading to injection pump or banjo bolt or selector valves mounted nearby, fuel runs\drips off injection pump in vacinity of roller lifter,
fuel seeps right down the bore of the of the lifter into the engine,
I bet yu could put a gallon in there overnight.
I have fuel dripping off the line from the tank to the filter right now, no shutoff got to fix that, engine not in use making brackets now.
Bob P
Listeroid 6/1 in progress
Alllis Chalmers 60KW 3 ph
Changfaoid 12KW w/  auto shutdowns, modern AVR and panel
2nd Changfaoid 12KW Marine conversion w/ full auto shutdown and remote panel
Changfaoid 7.7 hp driving 5kw alternater /inverter,
other diesel gensets bought fixed and sold

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 10:48:25 PM »
Petersbpus ,

I bet yu could put a gallon in there overnight

Don't know about yours, but on mine the pump lift acts on the base of the IP.  Any fuel running down thwe ouside of the pump would drip off the outer casting (lowest point) and not drain easily into the engine.  Your mileage clones may vary.

Regards, RAB