Puppeteer

Author Topic: MAKE YOUR OWN PELLETS FOR YOUR PELLET STOVE  (Read 28422 times)

wrightkiller

• View Profile
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 02:26:47 PM by wrightkiller »

unimogr

• View Profile
Re: MAKE YOUR OWN PELLETS FOR YOUR PELLET STOVE
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 04:19:58 PM »

Likely came from these guys:

http://www.pelletpros.com/id69.html

The mills are made in China, I was able to track down a supplier but I've since lost track of it.

I did the math and with the PP660 mill I think it would be possible to make a years worth of pellets in 48 hours or so, the biggest thing would be the feed stock.  Lots of grain farming in my area and usually the farmer just leave the straw on the field so if I had my own bailer I could likely have the straw for free, the biggest factor in all of this is the time needed to collect the straw.  From what I've been able to gather, straw will have less BTUs but if the stuff is free except for fuel and labour I could live with the loss.

One thing to keep in mind is that these mills need material that is 1/4" or less, saw dust would be ok, but wood chips would need to be run through a hammer mill to bring them down to size.  Looked into that problem and found that mix mills / feed grinders have hammer mills and can be bought fairly cheap:

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=5395863&GUID=3AE0AC199315474DACAF2D41DE6C6AD9

I know these machine can grind up a square bale but they may not be build heavy enough for wood.  Having a built in hopper is a definite bonus too.

I'm thinking about buying a pellet boiler this year after spending over $5000 on heating oil and probably another $1500-$2000 on electricity to keep the house heated last winter.  Based on the calculators I've seen on some websites the boiler should pay for itself in 2-3 years provided pellet prices don't go through the roof, and even if they do a pellet mill would be my plan 'B'.

Jason

Ratman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 10:48:59 PM »
I'd die of boredom working the damn thing.  :o
Rob............not convinced.
I like to think the older I get the wiser I become, but I'm not so sure.

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 12:53:40 AM »
Hey you could make hampster food as a side line.

If you live in the BC interior you could make Pellet grass and market it as a novelty.

It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 04:32:34 AM »
r you could make Pellet grass and market it as a novelty.

Do you have to mow pellet grass often, or fertilize it ?

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 08:34:57 AM »
I'd die of boredom working the damn thing.

Rob,

Yeah, at the rate he was going. ;D 

That thing has a hopper for the feed-stock.  Why he didn't fill it makes me think that either the engine is not man enough for the job, or the quality of the pellets is trash at higher outputs.  His videos seemed to be for the unthinking masses, not for anyone interested in the technology and how it actually copes with the claims made.

He claims 100kg /h for 8HP (c. 6kW).  Navitron claim 300kg (max) from a 7.5kW mill.  Their's is less money but you do need a 3 Ph. supply.....Any wood machining shops near you?  I could get quite a bit from a friend as he has to dispose of it, at a cost, as waste.  Something to think about in the future.....

Regards, RAB

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 04:59:41 PM »
Infact we didn't even see the mill for sale working. He's selling one thing and demoing another. Buyer beware! He didn't run the rpm's on the engine up all the way either. Come on dude cranker up and fill the hopper and lets see what we get.

There were a lot of shortages of pellets around here last year and with the price of oil I'd imagine this year will be worse. Perhaps a fellow could make good $ collecting scrap cardboard and making pellets. Let's see that would be 4 50lb bags at $5.00 per bag per hour, cost for collecting, cost for shredding and bags, well maybe not.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 02:29:05 AM »
r you could make Pellet grass and market it as a novelty.

Do you have to mow pellet grass often, or fertilize it ?

Guess thats lost on some of you.
You would smoke BC pellet grass lol.
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

rpg52

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 02:16:43 PM »
I make no claim as an expert, however, I've been told that pellet stoves are very particular about the quality of the pellets.  Most of the commercial pellets are made only from pine - no hardwoods, no dirt.  A boiler is likely less particular, and a commercial unit even less so.  The ash content seems to be the issue - too much ash and everything clogs.  How straw would stack up (no pun intended) I don't know.  It would seem like extensive research would be important prior to sinking much $ into such a project however.   :)
Ray
PS Listeroid 6/1, 5 kW ST, Detroit Diesel 3-71, Belsaw sawmill, 12 kW ST head, '71 GMC 3/4 T, '79 GMC 1T, '59 IH T-340

Stan

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 07:11:46 PM »
My pellet stove's burned several different kinds of cheap pellets for the last 8 or 9 years. I go through 3 or 4 tons per year.  No problems.  Can't vouch for any other brands.
Stan

max.network23

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 04:15:57 AM »
I can't remember exactly where I read it...  most likely on a Yahoo group like wastewatts, lister_CSOG or Woodgas....

The cheaper mills have a very difficult time making good pellets at speed and really should have some kind of steam process. They plug up easily. ---That's the best I can remember. I hope I provided enough info for someone to look it up if they are really interested
-John