Puppeteer

Author Topic: real time energy monitor  (Read 3241 times)

captfred

• View Profile
real time energy monitor
« on: July 19, 2008, 03:08:12 AM »
While on the mainland I picked up a TED energy detective Monitor with the software - (no financial interest, etc).  Pretty interesting unit - real time monitor of kW usage, voltage, daily, monthly usage etc. Also can be setup to display usage in dollars/cents per hour - very interesting showing my visiting daughter how much it costs per hour to run the A/C in her bedroom. 

The software ain't too hot but certainly usable and provides historical data, graphing and export.

Here's a link  www.theenergydetective.com/

Cheers, Fred

oliver90owner

• View Profile
Re: real time energy monitor
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 07:31:45 AM »
I have one of those type of thing.  Monitors power from incoming supply and records/displays on a little indicator which is portable.  No graphical readout by itself.

Useful, but not much good at low loads, where we want to be most of the time.  It records about 60W(?!!) for a low wattage CFL, so as useful as a chocolate teapot for finding/evaluating those last 'base' loads which might be running 24/7.  Large loads are easy - you could just watch/time the meter dial spinning, but it is more convenient, as a read-out, in front of you on the desk.

It over estimated my use by about 25-35%, so I was much less than well impressed.  The manufacturer - or importer, rather - said they were going to improve it, but that is the last I heard from him.  Usual salesman type - promise the earth and actually do nothing?  I will repost if ever he responds positively, but I am not holding my breath....Efergy is the name of the device and I have his e-mails for the record.

Regards, RAB

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 01:06:02 AM »
I bought one of those single outlet monitors called a Kill-A-Watt.  Seems to work AOK.  Not as useful on the output of an experimental generator set however.  It goes to sleep when the mains voltage goes low so I cannot see my VW plant making 40 Hz power at reduced speed for example.  For doing domestic appliance power surveys over days or weeks (like fridge and freezer) for example they are great!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 12:06:16 AM by rcavictim »
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

twombo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 11:21:48 PM »
I have a Tri-Metric.  No datalogging,  but simple and accurate.

mike