Puppeteer

Author Topic: Mixed fuel. Would it work?  (Read 4456 times)

meco3hp

• View Profile
Mixed fuel. Would it work?
« on: July 11, 2008, 03:53:45 AM »
Hello,
       I've been lurking off and on, but have gotten interested in Lister CS engines lately as I'm in the middle stages of getting a place out in the middle of no-where here in western Kansas. My question is, since I wouldn't get enough of one kind of fuel to set up to run one type, would a person be able to mix diesel, WVO, WMO,,,, ect., in some mixture and get good results? I'm thinking of setting up a mixture of passive/active solar, wind and a lister type genset, with the "grid" as a backup and a way to "bleed off" excess power. There are 2 cafes in the area that I could get their WVO, so I'd have that much. Plus some WMO, from buddies and a few shops. I also get a lot of AC compressors that I scrap for the copper and steel, and the oil thats in them gets taken to a buddy that adds it to his waste oil furnace, so I'd also have that to add to the mix. Anybody else use a "mix"

Thanks!
Richard
You say, "It can't be done!" I say, "Just hide and watch!"

Lister-Blackstone CD

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: Mixed fuel. Would it work?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 04:44:21 AM »
I'd probably not mix it all up.

Burn one and then the other, that way if your engine doesn't run well after a using Fuel "A" for some reason you can switch to "B" or something else
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 07:02:57 AM »
I'm with Doug on this one :)

while i wouldn't have an issue with blending dyno oils, i might not try mixing veggie and dyno without some
experimentation on a small batch level.

sure wouldn't be good to have a 55 gallon drum of glop to try and dispose of if it didn't pan out.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Ian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 08:09:41 AM »
Dino and veggie mix just fine. Animal fats or the higher melting point veggies should not be used unless you can permanently heat them or keep them above their melting points.

Filter out water and any particulates and then you have good fuel. Starting from cold is OK with a glow plug or start up and shutdown only on volatile dino fuels. Once up to temperature, and assuming you heat the fuel in the high pressure line, you can run just about any fuel.

With the high melting point fuels, you may have to be prepared to clean the injector tip a little more frequently than you would with dino fuels alone.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Ian

meco3hp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 06:11:21 PM »
Hello,
       What I was mainly thinking was to mix diesel, WMO, and WVO all into one mixture and run that. It might take some experimenting to get just the right mixture, I figure sooner or later, I'd figure out a mix that runs good.

Thanks!
Richard
You say, "It can't be done!" I say, "Just hide and watch!"

Lister-Blackstone CD

Stan

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 06:32:23 PM »
I think that this thread probably belongs in the Alternative Fuels section but I do have a question that fits in with this thread.

If I were to mix say, 80% wvo with 20% diesel, would the diesel keep the wvo from "going bad" over time?  (smelly, mouldy etc.)  If so how long do you think a mixture such as that would keep?  +95 deg F. summer temps, - 20 deg F winter temps.  Logically I'd think the 20% diesel would kill any living moulds or bacteria, I know it would kill me.  ;D

Stan

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 09:40:22 PM »
When I was wondering the same thing, several years ago, I mixed red deisel and WVO in a big pickle jar and  let it sit for a week....and decided to keep them seperate.  They DO mix, but they don't stay that way.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Stan

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 09:55:31 PM »
Thanks Jack...I guess I'm going to have to go the diesel preservative and the wvo bacteria inhibitor separately if they separate like that.
Stan

captfred

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 11:01:27 PM »
I've some wvo thats been settling for over 6 months without inhibitors or diesel - so far, touch wood, its ok - 85+  degrees every day, never drops below 75.

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 02:03:36 AM »
In the old days when you bought White rose gas and mixed in some Mobile 30 oil at 16 : 1 as recomened by OMC for many products they also sugested you use said oil mix with in 30 days.

First gas goes stale but also the oil would slowly drop out fo suspension in the gasoline.
Modern oils for 2 strokes don't do this, but thats chemicals for you lol....

Should come as no suprise that mixing different petroluem products ot veg oil and you risk a seperation if stored...

How do I know this?

So many old outboards in my collection of crap suffer from lube starvation and were damaged destroyed, and thats how they ended up in my boxes of parts
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken