Author Topic: Start-O-Matic 4.5 KW  (Read 3566 times)

potter

• View Profile
Start-O-Matic 4.5 KW
« on: July 04, 2008, 01:05:02 AM »
Hi Guys!
Trying to rebuild my Lister 4.5 KW GenHead (real bad shape) and I am needing to replace the bridge rectifier, it is completely rusted away. 
I was hoping somebody could give me an idea of what voltage and amparage bridge I would need as replacement.
Thanks for any help
Christopher

tiger

• Retired-Retarded-Work well with adult supervision
    • View Profile
Re: Start-O-Matic 4.5 KW
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 02:33:29 AM »
If you are in the USA a NTE5344 which is rated at piv 1000volt avg fwd current 40 amps would work well has a small footprint around 1&1/8 inch square and 1 inch high with 1/4 inch spade lugs. I'm assuming single phase. try www.nteinc.com
Metro 12/2 ST 10 KW

listeroil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 09:27:30 PM »
I have replaced the bridge rectifier on my 4.5k start o matic alternator with a 50volt 25amp bridge rectifie out o a 12volt battery charger. It works fine.
Are you changing the brushes if you are you can get them manufactured  a lot cheaper than buying geniune ones
Lister DC brushes cost 16gbp each and you need 4  Lister AC brushes cost 12gbp each and you need 4 You can get them made for about 6 gbp each. The firm I used was  http://www.sdcarbons.co.uk and I was very happy with their service. If you need brush dimensions and specs let me know.

Mick

potter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 11:08:43 PM »
Thanks guys, this looks like it gives me a fairly large area to work in ;D
I guess if I stay above the 50 volt and 25 amp I should be safe.  My brushes seem to still be good enough to at least give this a try to see if I can get it going but thanks for the link, Mick.  I hope I will need it :D.
Christopher