Puppeteer

Author Topic: Alternative to those Chinese generators.  (Read 4256 times)

Ratman

• View Profile
Alternative to those Chinese generators.
« on: July 07, 2008, 08:51:30 PM »
I'm just wondering if there's a readily available alternative to those cheap Chinese generators (other than the ‘made in India’ versions).
I’m new to the CHP idea and I’m gathering as much information as possible, most of it has come from this forum, so I asking you all if you use any other make of generator here in the UK.
Thanks.
Rob
I like to think the older I get the wiser I become, but I'm not so sure.

Ian

• View Profile
Re: Alternative to those Chinese generators.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 09:59:33 PM »
Rob - I am sure there are alternatives but you will have to look very hard to find a generator that is as low cost, simple, and robust as the Chinese STs.

Whilst it may appear that people here are not particularly complimentary towards the Chinese STs, they are by far the most popular generator to couple with a slow mover for the DIY types generally posting. They do not really go wrong. You may have to fix a few things on delivery (like bearings, brush alignment) but they are built like a tank and take a lot of abuse. Very few actually fail in service; some seem to fail whilst being tinkered with.....

For the money they are very hard to beat. if they go wrong you can fix most things (or buy a new one). Why would you want anything else ?

There are a number of vendors here in UK and they tend to keep reasonable stocks.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Ian

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 02:24:04 AM »
Mecc Alte is a major brand that builds world class generator heads. I believe they are #1.   

http://www.powertechengines.com/Gens.html

GeTec also sells some. I am not sure of the brand, but the specs are quite good. They may in fact be Mecc Alte gen heads (just a guess). Or, maybe they make them "in house". 

http://www.getec.com/synchron.htm

The ST heads have some major design flaws. I know they are popular, that does not mean they produce quality power. Far from it. In fact, My 15KW ST will only power sensitive equipment in my house when the central AC is on "full blast" (drawing 10,000 watts). Otherwise, the sine wave is quite distorted and nothing works right. Including my microwave, both my big screens, both computers and all 6 UPS's. In fact, even the lights flicker like crazy, driving me crazy. There is no way I could live with this.

By the way, it is not unusual for ST heads to provide better quality power when driving large motors. In particular, induction motors.

One big problem with Listeroid power is that the power pulses cause light flicker, due to the acceleration of the gen head during the power stroke. One makes the assumption that the heavy flywheels are enough to provide smooth output, but at the super low RPM's the Listeroids turn, there really is little inertia in that heavy system. I have a 70 pound flywheel (turning 1800RPM) on my gen head and this helps a tiny bit. The belt squeaks on the power strokes, even under no load conditions. HMMMM.

So, in fact the proper setup would be a very heavy engine flywheel setup (double?), a very heavy gen head flywheel setup and a modern gen head capable of low distortion power.

People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 04:01:14 AM »
Do Coleman lanterns qualify as an alternative lol?

Doug
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 05:04:53 AM »
ST quality does vary.  I did do a little DC filtration on my exciter circuit and put in a new bridge rectifyer and my ST-5 powers ALL my UPS's(2 TripLites, 1APC) in my home quite nicely.They will occasionally beep when i push the load limit on the gen, but then only till the engine governor catches back up.  I compared it's AC waveform to a new 12KW Onan set I helped install 2 years ago, and it's output waveform was comparable.  The contractor I was working with was surprised when I told him it was the waveform from a chinese head...
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

Ratman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 06:07:57 PM »
Once again thanks for the replies, I tend to agree with Ian on this one, I know the Chinese generators are probably lacking in finesse but do the job. Being a mechanic I usually manage to get the best out of things and I find that most problems with cars are the drivers, drivers who lack mechanical empathy.  ;D
Anyway, as soon as I get my hands on a nice CS I’ll get an ST5 to run with it, I’ll let you know how I get on.
Rob
I like to think the older I get the wiser I become, but I'm not so sure.