Author Topic: "Dirty" Oil sands oil  (Read 9312 times)

Stan

"Dirty" Oil sands oil
« on: June 27, 2008, 03:52:31 AM »
Cute site by greenpeace poking fun at the Alberta gov't and the oil sands.  http://www.travellingalberta.com/

What is kind of interesting is a story on one of the back pages of a Canadian newspaper today.  Due to the negative publicity from many american spokespersons including Mr. Obama, at least one huge oil pipeline company is going to press ahead at warp speed with a new pipeline from Edmonton to Kitimat (near the Pacific coast) in N. Central BC.

What this means is that the oil sands oil will most likely be funneled over the Pacific to China and will cut out the US.

Those pesky multinational oil companies have no loyalties at all do they?  except maybe to the $$$$$
Stan

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: "Dirty" Oil sands oil
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 04:33:44 AM »
Its time to nationalise some oil companies Again Stan.

This time Petro Canada II should stay a crown corperation and the profits offset our taxes and maybe give us a break at the pumps....
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

Stan

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 04:53:03 AM »
Hey, I've always figured that we should have first rights to our own oil!  However Nafta (a la Mulroney) would sue us till the cows came home.  Hey, maybe if our cows all had mad cow disease we wouldn't get sued!  ;)

Just reading an article in the Vancouver Province about a potential Pandemic.  Economic guy was pointing out that if there was a real pandemic, all freighter traffic would halt worldwide.  No one would be willing to risk letting freighters from other continents land in their ports.

Can't you imagine the shortages that would occur instantaneously if that happened?  Sure is a good thing that toilet paper is made here  ;D  Saw a couple of "bathrooms" in central Turkey that had only a bucket of dirty water beside the hole for you to wash your bum with (using your left hand ? of course).  Sure glad I had my own toilet paper and some alcohol hand cleaner AND a good pair of boots on. Yuck.

but I digress. again. and again.
Stan

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 06:23:27 AM »

Can't you imagine the shortages that would occur instantaneously if that happened?  Sure is a good thing that toilet paper is made here  ;D  Saw a couple of "bathrooms" in central Turkey that had only a bucket of dirty water beside the hole for you to wash your bum with (using your left hand ? of course).  Sure glad I had my own toilet paper and some alcohol hand cleaner AND a good pair of boots on. Yuck.

You must have used a modern one,  the old ones just had a piece of old rope on the side, to hang on to with your left hand, and then to clean your hand with.

captfred

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 07:30:32 AM »
Worst I've seen is in a south of the border Jail - since I believe this to be a "family" forum, I won't go into the details - however woulda liked a dirty rag though. ;D

mkdutchman

• mkdutchman at gmail dot com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 11:35:32 AM »
Cute site by greenpeace poking fun at the Alberta gov't and the oil sands.  http://www.travellingalberta.com/
ooyow that looks like one heckuva industrial wasteland.....

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 03:47:20 PM »
The green green tailing ponds of home....

Let me tell you something people stop and take a hard look around, just because the old rusty mills and factories are gone it doesn't mean they went away. Yes the jobs are gone and the buildings may be gone but the legacy of chemicals, acids and heavy metals are still there.

The only difference is the company is gone and with them most of the accountability
Then we get into all kinds of revisionist history from some companies that have cleaned up their acts but don't want to be on hook for past.

My father inlaw was a sinter plant work he has 1 month to live, he did a remarkable job staying alive considering most people who did his job died in the 70s and 80s.

Stan

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 06:40:27 PM »
Not to mention the uranium mines up around the big lakes in the NWT.....Lots of land up there to be had cheap if you don't mind the blue glow during the long winter nights.
Satn

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 08:25:18 PM »
Stan Uraqnium is fairly clean, things only get messy when you try to reprocess or enrich. All the fuel ever mined and used in Candu sites is still there, insolid form and can be stored safely in surface repositories if we had the political will ( personaly I think we should be looking at some dry arctic location maybe in the side of a mountain were have some access, cover and security, then hire some Eskimos to watch it for the next 1000 years ) .
I've spent a lot  of time in Elliot lake and you would never know it was the hub of uranium production it once was.
Sure everyone has a radon dector in the house but that natural back ground and has nothing to do with mining.
Elliot is a place where you can walk downtown and go fishing.....

Sidney NS is not,that pond is full of tar and a prime example of what I mean about the rust going away but the secrets leach from the ground for a long time to come.

Stan

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 09:37:06 PM »
I'll have to dig up the info on the "first nations" people suing the feds for the uranium leftovers around one of the mines or processing plants or whatever up North.
Stan

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 10:00:24 PM »
That could very well be.

But I could take you and stand you right on the porthole to what was the ramp for Stanlee mine ( thats what fed all unranium to Ontario's reactors ) and if I didn't tell you you wouldn't know.

Unranium itself is processed Chemicaly so ther eis a risk if not done properly its messy. Clearly in Elliote they did something right.

Now I have to crap all over Rio and mother hydro for all the Lung cancer in the miners!
But it was the Radon sisters....

Stan

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 12:50:42 AM »
This is just a snippet of the documentary that outlined the really crappy mining and processing procedures that were going on up there.

http://www.nnsl.com/frames/newspapers/1999-10/oct25_99radium.html

Stan

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 02:54:40 AM »
well there are a lot of problems with that story Stan ( and I can't believe I am defending the mining industry now ).

Before the mine the Indians never had TB so Uranium causes TB.
And they had absolutely no cancer, had no idea Indian witch doctor had CAT scans.

3 in a crew of 30 electrrician where I work have colon cancer, does this mean nickel is giving us cancer ? ( Hope not people will accuse us of shuving it up our asses )
Hauling bags of pitchblend concentrate, probably no worse than some of the things I do
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 03:08:27 AM by Doug »

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2008, 04:10:07 AM »
Hauling bags of pitchblend concentrate, probably no worse than some of the things I do

Ahhhh pitchblend concentrate, a muffin and the morning newspaper.  Forget decaf, forget mountain grown....this stuff is formed, not grown inside the mountain.  A cup of this is to die for.   :o
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Stan

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008, 05:16:17 AM »
Yah, I was always under the impression that, after looking for the unique colour of pitchblend ore, they hauled out a geiger counter to determine how radioactive it was.  Or am I mistaken, never having been a uranium prospector in this life anyway.
Stan