Puppeteer

Author Topic: engine fell over during shipment  (Read 5739 times)

captfred

• View Profile
engine fell over during shipment
« on: June 25, 2008, 07:47:58 AM »
Subject pretty much says it all, our latest order just arrived and one engine was laying on it's side - don't know what the damage is, or who is responsible, the freight forwarder or the delivery boom truck.   

Anyway, lets say we're screwed - no insurance - what are the issues of an engine that has been dropped on it's side - I'm thinkin' the  flywheels and crank would be suspect but other components would be salvagable.

Thoughts, as always are always appreciated

Cheers, Fred

oliver90owner

• View Profile
Re: engine fell over during shipment
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 08:39:47 AM »
Fred, Dropped and laid are two distinctly different scenarios - and you don't know which.

Stand it up and check for run-out on the crank.  If is is bent, it makes it easier.  You will see if any other components are damaged - they might give an indication of dropped from a great height or not.  Trbs? dropping will not do them a lot of good.

Twin or single?  I'm not sure whether you mean end or side, either but neither is good!

These engines are tough and I would think damage is probably minimal unless dropped.  If it is on the end of the crank and that is not bent, I would hope it is just the bearings that need checking/changing.

Hope it sorts out easily and inexpensively.

Regards, RAB

wrightkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »

Captfred  pop up some pictures and let us have a look   :'( :'( 

captfred

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 03:30:19 PM »
unfortunately, I'm in the mainland, so I'm getting information secondhand from my friend, will call and have him locate a dial indicator and check the run-out on the crank, will try to get some pics later today.  Thanks for the advice, as always most appreciated.

Cheers, Fred

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 06:40:48 PM »
My 6/1 crate was the hardest I have ever had to disassemble...  Since they are bolted to the bottom of the crate, if it was Dropped, these would have been torn out and the bottom(now a side) would be substantially damaged by this and the engine would be loose. If it was just tipped over onto it's side, it may still be bolted in place.
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

carlb23

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 06:43:11 PM »
Look for witness marks on the ends of the crank and maybe on the flywheels.  If it did contact something you should be able to see exactly where contact was made.

carl

Ian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 08:52:54 PM »
Probably 99% of all of these Listeroid engines are used in Asia and Africa. In most of these end user places there is no such thing as a fork lift truck or a delivery system - particularly at the end of the track where the farmer will be using the new engine. So, any kind of truck that is cheap and available will be used to deliver the new engine to its destination. Forget any kind of fancy systems of levers and pulleys and cushions to get the engine off the wagon. The driver and his mate will manhandle the crate to the side / end of the truck and then push it off. They will not look for a soft patch of earth for it to land on. Once it is off the truck their responsibility is complete and they will drive away - leaving the farmer to "somehow" get the engine to where he wants it.

If 99% of all these engine survive this treatment and keep going without any air filters or oil changes - for years, then there is a very good chance that yours, which has been positively cosseted in its delivery to you, will be just fine.

Not sure what a dial gauge will tell you. the chances are that ALL these engines have a high degree of run out. If you DO check with a dial gauge - please set your action standards BEFORE you measure. What are you trying to achieve ? What level of run out is acceptable (and how will you know). If you find run out greater than your action standard, what will you do about it ? Sometimes, it is better to just run the thing and not give yourself sleepless nights worrying about things that are of little consequence.

Regards,
Ian

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 09:17:57 PM »
  Fred,

As Ian says you don't need a fancy dial guage.  A fixed pointer is all you need and some thick 'feeler' guages.  Compare with other engines.  Kiss principle in operation.

Regards, RAB

listeroidsusa1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 02:29:18 AM »
I had a load that came in with the engines stacked to the ceiling of the container. When I offloaded one stack the top engine caught on the door lip at the top of the container. One engine fell 13' and landed on the pavement on its side. I put that engine aside to use for parts. After all of the other engines were sold I had a fellow who just HAD to have one. Unfortunately the only one I had was the dropped engine. I told him what had happened to it and he wanted to uncrate it and check it out. I uncrated it and checked it over extensively. When a dial indicator was put on the crank it read dead true. He decided he did want the engine so I sold it to him at a discount and told him that if it had any problems I'd make it right and furnish any needed parts. Its been 3 years now and I have never heard a word about having any problems. He told me it was running flawlessly still when I saw him at an engine show last year.

In short, the factory ships them on their sides and like others have said, the packing is exceptional so do an inspection and if it passes, just run it.

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 02:47:32 AM »
Mike / are you going to Denton//sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

Dail R H

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 03:10:53 AM »
   Hey Sid,
   I'm planning to probably miss it again this year.

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 03:17:55 AM »
Hey Dahl// I think you made it last year/// but it was the wrong week//I am planning on going sun. a,m//sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc