Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister Model L - info please.  (Read 3729 times)

Chaz

• View Profile
Lister Model L - info please.
« on: June 20, 2008, 05:29:56 AM »
Hi folks,
I've come across a Lister L petrol engine made about 1915. It had been used to drive a sawmill for many years, or rather, decades. The mill was decomissioned about 15 years ago at which time the engine was still a runner and has just been sitting in a shed ever since..

I'm quite interested in it as a prime mover for a generating plant, but I can't find a great deal of information about it. One Lister document I have seen says the Model L is 6hp at 650 rpm, but the plate on the engine says 4hp at 400 rpm.
Also, I'm wondering how many parts it shares with the 6-1. I imagine the crankshaft is probably the same, certainly the flywheels are the same size, but how about piston and con rod, valves, etc.

Any info or pointers to same would be greatly appreciated.
1950 Lister CS 3 1/2 - 1

oliver90owner

• View Profile
Re: Lister Model L - info please.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 07:43:34 AM »
Side valve, 5 1/2 inch bore.  So not a lot will interchange.  Some parts might ,as Lister seemed to like to keep parts interchangeability high but this engine was 15 years before the CS came out.

Specs from ListerDiesel's site.

Regards, RAB

listerdiesel

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 03:05:14 PM »
Nothing will interchange, the early L had a smaller diameter crankshaft and many other details differences, it is not a practical proposition.

The L went through a lot of changes, initially it was a fixed cylinder head with access caps for the valves, then it had the removeable head later on.

The crankshaft was changed many times as the engine had some detail problems in that area, finished up at 1-3/4", later going to 2" at the same time as the Cs went up in size.

A late engine would share the bottom end, but the governor housing wouldn't have the injection pump drive.

Peter

Chaz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 10:49:34 PM »
Thanks for all your help. I'll probably give it a miss. Cheers
1950 Lister CS 3 1/2 - 1