Author Topic: Lister trolley plans  (Read 7762 times)

YoYoDog

• View Profile
Lister trolley plans
« on: June 17, 2008, 06:17:41 AM »
 As I've mentioned in my other threads, I'm looking to supply power and heat to a small cabin with a listeroid and a ST.  One of the main problems that I have is the ability to move those big honkers around.  I'm thinking that I can get an engine jack fairly easy but one of my first priorities is to get it settled on a low to the floor trolley in order to work on it.  It would need some strong wheels in order to move it around and possibly push it up a ramp carefully onto the back of a truck.  Possibly with a means of picking it up with a forklift.  Does anyone have access to plans out of relatively easily available steel stock that I can get welded or possibly bolted together?
At present I don't even possess the bolt patterns in order to come up with a good plan especially when it comes to the distance between the engine and the generator or the ability to adjust it for belting or lateral movement.
Basically, I'm asking for ideas/plans to be able to use it short-term.  I realize a permanant means will need to be arranged.  Possibly the plans whould be where I could remove the wheels and use the frame for a fixed mount.  Any ideas?
Georges CD may address this, its on order but I hav'nt recieved it yet.

Thanks,
Dan

cschuerm

• View Profile
Re: Lister trolley plans
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 12:45:28 PM »
Dan,
I fabricated a skid out of box steel and plate to mount my engine/head on with lifting hooks so I could sling it with a (large) forklift and mount it on a trailer.  A separate skid contains all the electrical and cooling system components.  Unfortunately, I didn't really draw up plans that I can send.  Just measured the engine and genhead, started cutting and welding.  I've posted some pix of the rig that might at least give you some ideas:
http://members.cox.net/cschuerm2/
Whatever you do,  just remember to make it hell-fer-stout! 

chris

rpg52

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 03:14:47 PM »
"Standard" foundation bolt pattern is 330 x 330 mm, which is "about" 13 inches.  It varies with manufacturer and model though so you likely should have your machine in possession before welding up anything.  I had to move mine up a slope and had to use a tractor bucket with a lift from a bracket on the head bolts.  If yours is on the level, it may be easier.  A warning though, they are really top heavy, and want to fall over on their sides.  Careful!   :)
Ray
PS Listeroid 6/1, 5 kW ST, Detroit Diesel 3-71, Belsaw sawmill, 12 kW ST head, '71 GMC 3/4 T, '79 GMC 1T, '59 IH T-340

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 05:15:49 PM »
This is one way to do it.  I used 3/8" x 3" steel angle bolted to a 4x6" fir frame supported by four heavy cast iron casters.  Resist the urge to use casters with rubber tires.  The rubber inevitably flattens with time making it hard to get moving.

Here's a detail of the generator mount.  Generator base flange is bolted through two pieces of 1" aluminum square tubing which pinch flanges on welded angle, holding generator securely in place.  Friction between aluminum and steel is much greater than between steel and steel.  That's why aluminum tubing was used instead of steel.

Below is a pic of the mounted engine and generator.

Depending on where you're rolling it, you might want to use bigger wheels.  Once you get it in place, the wheels can be unbolted and the whole thing can be bolted down to a concrete pad. 

Hope this helps,

Quinn

« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 06:01:54 PM by Quinnf »
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

Stan

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 07:16:50 PM »
I had a very nice visit with Troy, from eco diesel yesterday.  Had a great look at his mounts, and skids and the different things he has mounted on them.  He does an incredible job.  Give him a pmail and he'll send you some pics I'm sure.  I've no financial interest in his operation at all, other than being a satisfied cust.

I've so far met 4 of the guys here on the forum,  Andrew and John in Ottawa, Casey in Hawaii, and just yesterday Troy in Lethbridge Alberta.  You couldn't find a nicer or more knowledgeable bunch of guys anywhere.  We need a forum member crawl  ;D  byob
Stan

YoYoDog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 07:35:56 PM »
Thanks for all your inputs guys.  Quinnf, thats EXACTLY what I was looking for.  I'm also a pretty good woodworker as a hobby and instead of railroad ties I'm thinking a couple of nice chunks of finished red oak for a nicer touch.  I'm not that concerned about oil/grease/dirt if I put on a heavy finish.

Thanks greatly,
Dan

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 02:01:05 AM »
You might also get away without the wheels.  I built my base frame out of heavy wall steel box tube and it just set on the garage floor while I did the initial inspection, test run and balance.  When I needed to move it, I could do one of two things.  I could attach my lift jig to the head and lift engine and base frame with an engine hoist(the frame is a pretty small fraction of the 700+ pounds of 6/1 engine).  I could also lift the frame off the floor with a pry bar and slide a wood block underneath.  Once I got it up high enough, I would slip pipe underneath and it was quite easy to move this way egyptian style.  Once up on rollers, I could push the 1000# engine/frame/generator across the garage floor with the tip of my finger.

For my finished installation, I bolted that same frame to a 1300# block of concrete just outside the door to my generator shed(put the engine/frame inplace with my loader on my tractor).  Then I added the generator head.  Using a longer prybar and fulcrum, I lifted the now over 1 ton assembly vertically onto blocks, then onto 2" steel pipe sections and three 2X4 rails as it was on grass in front of the shed.  I then could, using the prybar against the ground, quite easilly roll the whole thing thru the 30" door(block had 1/2" clearance with part of the door frame removed).  Don't underestmate going old school on it.  I did the above operation all by myself, I could set on the pry bar to lift the base block and push the blocks and rollers into place with a smaller pole.  Once it was in the desired position, I reversed the process onto wood blocks then down onto a rubber mat.  I think I would have had a real hard time moving this thing into position on caster wheels, because ALL the weight will be concentrated on just a few square inches where the wheel contacts the surface.  But I could have moved it from garage to shed with pipe rollers...

I think Archemedes said it best, "Give me a big enough lever, and I wll move the world"  Here is the generator in place in the shed.  My back is in the corner next to the door holding the camera above my head to get the camera far enough away to see the whole engine.  It is not a very large room...

PS 6/1 - ST-5.

YoYoDog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 12:42:55 PM »
Quinn,

I just happened to notice the I-bolts.  Have you attempted to lift it by those bolts?  How is the center of gravity?  Did you have to use some kind of spredder/yoke to keep it balanced? And, finally what did you use to lift to whole unit?

Dan