Author Topic: Am I missing something?  (Read 14150 times)

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: Am I missing something?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2008, 02:01:22 AM »
I'm going to open a can of worms here but all this choice in things to toss away doesn't realy do us much good when you think about it.....

I think we should have a standard just about everything.....
Stanad re use conatiner for juice, milk mustard ect nomatter who makes it should come in a reuse container with a deposit.....
They should sell bulk veg oil inthe store BYOJ ( bring your own jar lol ).
You should be able to go to the local light truck dealer and oder a Chev with a Toyta diesel and a Dana rear if thats your choice. Standard parts for cars and trucks that have limited inchangability so YOU can get the best longest lasting truck for you ( probably not so smart to try that with FWD cars though ).
Why do we need 9 different kinds of tooth paste and 20 different kinds of dish soap? Never seen oone that was any better than the other, its just a waste of my time and money to have so many useless choices I think.

The slippery slope is the Mao suit......
I could see myself wearing a pair of coveralls everywhere now because I am lazy and realy don;t care what I look like anymor.
Some people are horrified byt his idea but I know I'm not alone. A good friend of mine dresses that way at his camp never dresses in street clothes that way he can leap into action if work needs to be done ( from pouring a glass of OJ in the morning to a slab of concrete in 10 seconds ).

I am NOT like most people, I'm ready to scrap consumerism right now if it means a car that last 20 years and gets good ecconomy
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

Stan

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2008, 03:32:50 AM »
Lots of that stuff (bulk oil in your own container etc.), reusable containers, containers that are recyclable,  is available through food co-ops.  We used to belong to one when there was on closer to us, my daughter and her husband belong to one.  You get to sit on a board or committee, decide what type of things the co-op should be bringing in, order the stuff from the best suppliers, help unpack it, sort it, and then get a bargain price on it.  I don't care if you think it's a communist idea or not, it works great. (not you Doug, I know you have a pragmatic side, I'm talking about the fools who think communism is a political philosophy).
Stan

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2008, 04:14:41 AM »
Well Stan I wish we had more Co-Op stores around....

Remember the joke if you want your buisness to succeed in Rural Canada you need to have C0-op in the name? Something has changed in the minds of people and thats not fassionable anymore.

And yes Stan I know what you mean and I just have to hang get my head and shrug.
People today ( generaly the younger self centered sort ) don;t understand the difference between a political system and means to organize eccomic output!

I think it shoudl be required teaching in High school Ecconomics.
Not the kind you learn to cook and sow ( but that should be required too along with basic repair skills, how to use tools and learning to drive ).
But kids shoild understand how suply and demand works, how our ecconomy and bank systems works and how the money flows here.
Probably wouldn't hurt to make them read some Marx and Engles too ( both had a good grasp of free markets and dare I say could teach kids a great deal about how to run a buisnes ).

I was out for a walk this evening with my son and we both watched and two teen idiots in a dented up and smoking Benz zip around trying to impress some girls I guess. This is the fundimental problem with out society today we are so interested in apearences and self gratification that we don't see whats important.

I spent the morning at Don's RV looking for a T-66 , a G6 Coleman generator and a some part numbers. The woman at the desk told me we are not a service center anymore and thats all we have left becareful of the books " I can sell you some new ones for much less trouble ". " My dear my lanterns are much older than you stocks of NOS parts and dusty books, and your new ones won't have the longevity of the ones I am trying to referbish ". This is what happens when people accept that new is better because you can toss out the old one without guilt in spite of how much life it still may have left in it........
Of all the stupidity buy a propane lantern when the cost of opperating a Kerosene one is like 1/5.

Stan

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2008, 04:52:01 AM »
It even gets more basic than just the lazyness of "replace" rather than "repair".  First you have to know the basics of the operating system.  When I got my pilots license waaay back in the early 70's, we learned the physics of how the air flow over the wings and tail generated lift.  Once that basic physical aspect of the wings and tail surfaces was understood, you automatically knew what to do when something untoward happened.  My flight instructor took me out on the morning of my 6th hour and did one circuit with me then told me to land and let him out.  As he got out of the plane he told me to make sure I did a long circuit.  As I took off I climbed very slowly toward the town, and all of a sudden found myself very nearly upside down as I flew over the "smokeless burner" of 7 sawmills.  Now a smokeless burner is a large forced air wood chip burner burning the waste sawdust and wood products of sawmills.  It puts out a tremendous amount of heat, on this windless morning straight up.  I had flown right over it with my left wing in the updraft.  After a sweaty few seconds fighting for control I made my way around and landed, still panting to find him and all his buddies rolling on the ground still laughing at me.

Thinking back, I thanked my hours of study about the effects of air movement over my wings, and ever since have pitied those who just learn how to turn the wheel and step on the pedals and think they know how to drive.

Maybe we should make learning the physics of how a coffee pot works and demand everyone who wants to buy one pass a test first.  Oh no, I forgot, that would take some effort, we can't have that!
Stan

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2008, 10:32:32 AM »
"I think we should have a standard just about everything"

And just who was the guy who only just recently said exactly the opposite on the Imperial/metric thread.

Dead opposed to standardisation.

Was it Doug? :) :) :)  Methinks you are trying to stir up a can of worms :D

Regards, RAB

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2008, 10:41:31 PM »
Damb good point!

Wait a second I want all the things that piss me off to be standard and all things that amuse me to be sort of standard but destinct enough to preserve my interest. And all the realy cool stuff should be made of oddball parts but everyone should be forced to support said products for next 200 years.

I don't know what I want, but I know I don't like what I have been given.

Watch them worms wigle......

Maybe its enough to say I only want what I cannot have.

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2008, 11:47:50 PM »
Doug,

There's no "D" in Lamb.   :D
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2008, 01:09:15 AM »
And there is no F in onions ( said the man behind the produce counter to the woman who would not be told otherwise ).....

Stan

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2008, 02:51:20 AM »
Was that "no "F" in onions" or "No F'n onions".  ::)
Stan

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2008, 03:12:37 AM »
So you heard that joke!.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2008, 04:51:17 AM »
in an effort to spin the thread back on topic and to define the term "blueprinting"

alot of folks equate the term "blueprinting" as getting things to within .000005" +/- .000000001 or somesuch

the  proper use of the term is to determine an acceptable standard and then to do all that is necessary to attain that standard

in other words the listeroid is not a precision instrument in need of fantastic tolerances, simply keeping to the accepted standards as
set out by the original designers is close enough. so..

blueprinting to those standards as set out by the engineers of the original listers should be the goal, recognizing that
1. the original spec's work, and
2. some spec's have been proven to have improvment by use of more modern methods that were not used in the original designs
(such as typical 3 angle valve jobs and interference angles)

somefolks take exception to the need for blueprinting an engine, when it is their misunderstanding of the term that they have issue with.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Stan

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2008, 05:18:27 AM »
Actually no Doug, it just seemed kind of obvious  ;)

On to blueprinting, doesn't it somehow mean something to do with balancing out forces and weights of components such as listeroid folks have been doing all along?  Maybe not to the fraction of a gram, but with a 175 lb flywheel, a fraction of a gram is kind of silly.
Stan

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2008, 06:07:24 AM »
Stan,

Rap your knuckles, man!!

Talking to Doug like that!!

Or are you mixing units on purpose??

Lbs and grams in the same sentence - what next??

Doug,

"forced to support said products for next 200 years."

They do.  The reply nowadays is 'go buy a new one'

Regards, RAB (now off to try to catch a swarm of bees)

Stan

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2008, 07:55:45 PM »
Good eye RAB.  I didn't think anyone would notice.  Remember my previous posting about asking kids today how much they weigh and they answer in pounds, yet ask them what the highway speed limit is or how you buy milk and they answer in metric?  The new math curriculum here in BC now mandates teaching both metric and imperial to the kids since they use them both anyway.
Stan
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 07:57:27 PM by Stan »

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2008, 08:08:37 PM »
Good eye RAB.  I didn't think anyone would notice.  Remember my previous posting about asking kids today how much they weigh and they answer in pounds, yet ask them what the highway speed limit is or how you buy milk and they answer in metric?  The new math curriculum here in BC now mandates teaching both metric and imperial to the kids since they use them both anyway.
Stan

Because of the way Canada has gone officially half assed metric, with some units of materiel commerce merely soft converted, or not converted at all, mixing SAE and metric in the same sentence, or indeed even while describing a product as a prime example: 4x8 foot sheet of 17mm plywood.   :o , this is the new normal speak for Canucks.  Stan, you are in the clear.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion