Puppeteer

Author Topic: Exhaust Temps out of whack - Any Ideas?  (Read 3308 times)

captfred

• View Profile
Exhaust Temps out of whack - Any Ideas?
« on: June 09, 2008, 10:12:14 AM »
Fired up the beast today and noticed a bit of smoke from #2 cyl exhaust and very faint "smoke" from the exhaust fitting. During the engine break-in I adjusted the injector pump linkage and balanced the exhaust temps to - I285 deg F.  Today #2 was 350 F and #1 275 F.

Any Ideas on where I need to start?

Cheers, Fred
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 10:16:45 AM by captfred »

blacksea7

• View Profile
Re: Exhaust Temps out of whack - Any Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 12:21:14 PM »
Fred,
If the fuel rack is properly adjusted (the racks are nearly fool proof), look at the tappet, if it's operating properly, begin working your way up (air in the line, bad deliverly valve, bad element, leak, injector spring (very rare to die), nozzle itself... If you can't find it in the fuel system something internal most likely failed... howver not really probable. It could be as easy as a valve lash adjustment or the push rod bent... it'll most likely be something incredibly simple.

Bill

captfred

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 10:50:00 PM »
Thanks Bill

Got the first coupla quarts of coffee down, time to head out to the beasthouse and give your suggestions a whirl.

Cheers, Fred

captfred

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 12:25:11 AM »
Wow, less than 50 hours ago I adjusted the valve lash to specs - just checked and both cylinders were way off (slack) adjusted and the beast is running much better - but running a bit cool on the exhaust side - 245 deg F - cooling water is normal at 195 F.

Cheers, Fred

blacksea7

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 02:28:06 PM »
More than welcome.....

Bill