Author Topic: Japanese Mini Trucks,660cc TurboCharged  (Read 16415 times)

dieseldave

• View Profile
Japanese Mini Trucks,660cc TurboCharged
« on: June 07, 2008, 07:47:51 PM »
I just came across a site that sells 1993 and older mini trucks imported from Japan. They are of the cabover design.

Thier address is www.japanoid.com  and they are located in New Westminster BC. They claim 45mpg with these units.  All have passed the tight 'shaken' inspection in Japan .   With the high price of gasoline,these might be an alternative to our domestic GAS GUZZLING PIECES OF S**T we have here!

tiger

• Retired-Retarded-Work well with adult supervision
    • View Profile
Re: Japanese Mini Trucks,660cc TurboCharged
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 04:40:38 AM »
I once in the last couple of years tried to import a Canadian Toyota diesel, the USA. has many forms ,documents to several agency's who all want a piece of the action.This mostly involves bringing the vehical to ( US standards as per lighting, pollution, crash protection  ect). The year of the vehical is inportant, as the USA.  has a agreement with Canadia to accept thier standards. to a point. Hire an inport export lawer/ agent  before proceeding !
Metro 12/2 ST 10 KW

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 05:46:09 AM »

Japanoid in New westminster BC,Canada is a bona fide used car dealer. These vehicles are 'ready to go' Japanoid does all the footwork,import,customs,shipping,paperwork etc.

In Canada,these trucks have to be 15 years old or older. In the US it is 25 years old or older.We got it good here!

Grael

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 06:37:10 AM »
I like it! Not too much worse mileage than my Jetta TDI. Too bad they aren't diesel though. Perhaps a TDI or IDI engine swap is in order? ;D
GTC 8-1

"Traveling 33 RPM in an iPod world"

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 01:03:16 PM »
Under NAFTA and the AUTO TRADE agreement is it very easy to import NA cars, Euro cars and Japanese cars were brought into USA and Canada only meeting one standard and not both.  Very easy to import into Canada, go to a web site from CRA and it lists all cars, and details what is needed to import into Canada (running lights, babyseat anchors, etc)

No lawyer is needed
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 04:54:21 PM »

The guy that does this(japanoid.com) is a car dealership in New Westminster BC.  You pay him for it,put the plates on and drive away. He does all the footwork for you.

There is another place in Edmonton Alberta called  www.hikariminitrucks.com   just by fountain tire at 82st and yellowhead trail. He has a new shipment coming in on June 17.

I like 'middle of nowhere's' idea   Put a VW tdi engine in one. That would kick ass!  These trucks are only half the wieght of a VW Jetta!

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 07:51:03 PM »
I wonder how much trouble it would be to transplant the engine form a Diesel mule into one?

It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 10:22:01 PM »
Who knows,maybe the mule might have a 660cc variation of the gassers.

The 660cc rule in Japan is so you can have a vehicle and pay a minimum of road tax. Length and width play a factor in this as well.

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 10:37:54 PM »
The Mule engine is Toyota product also sold threw Briggs and Straton dealers as the " Dahatsu Vangard ".
All the Small Dahatsu 3 cylinder gas and dieel engines are about the same weight with exactly the same foot bolt pattersn this is why they are so commonly used in things like Gators ect....
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 03:20:52 AM »

Found some more info on these mini trucks.   The Subaru Sambar has the 660cc engine in the rear,it's quieter,more powerfull,and also has more room in the cab.

Another nice truck that never made it to North America is the TOYOTA LITE ACE. It follows the cabover design of the minitrucks but MUCH larger.  They can be had with a 2000cc turbo diesel (120cu.in.)  The box has fold down sides to easily convert it to a flat deck.  There is one operating in Fort Mac Murray,Alberta decked out as a welding truck!

The importation rules for Canada is 15 years old and older. For the US it is 25 years. Most of these trucks from Japan are in A1 condition with very low mileage.  Dealers can not keep them on the lots due to this!

Grael

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 05:39:22 AM »
I just sent off an email to that place in Edmonton asking if they would let people take test drives... hell, I would like one up here, especially in the winter when there is a huge dump of snow or in the spring and summer when it rains for a few days, like it has been lately and the roads are liquid. 4X4 would help! There is one of those lil trucks running around Lac La Biche, they are awesome!
GTC 8-1

Grael

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 11:45:11 PM »
I got an email back from them, they do let you test drive. :D I might snap some pics, anybody want to see anything in particular? I might just get me one of these things... :P
GTC 8-1

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 03:58:43 AM »

Middle of Nowhere;  Hikariminitrucks.com is supposed to have a new shipment arrive June 17.

Grael

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 10:51:39 PM »

Middle of Nowhere;  Hikariminitrucks.com is supposed to have a new shipment arrive June 17.

Yeah, I know. :D
GTC 8-1

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 03:38:46 AM »
   Just bought a 1990 Suzuki Carry,selectable 2wd or 4wd with Diff lock. Private sale. Passed insurance inspection with flying colours.

It has been in Canada for about 2 1/2 years. It was originally a  Japanese Ministry of Agriculture truck,Kyoto District. Steering is very nice. I wish my jetta steered like this!  A blast to drive!

Sitting at a red light along side a ETS transit bus,and the driver asked me: Dont you feel like a sardine in that truck?

I said: HELL NO! More like a 400lb Sumo Wrestler flying a Mitsubishi Zero!

I also have many add on's ,rear bumper,cd player etc.   I also talked to someone today that claims that the engine and drivetrain from the Suzuki 4 wheel drives from 1977 to late 80's fit into them.  They started with 750cc,then 1000cc then to 1374cc. I need more info on this engine swap!

The Suzuki jeep was called the LJ-80.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 05:37:22 PM by dieseldave »