Author Topic: Chinese Tractors  (Read 4007 times)

biobill

• 'riods make good houseguests if fed right
    • View Profile
Chinese Tractors
« on: June 04, 2008, 03:57:07 PM »
  Anyone have any experience / info / opinions on Chinese compact tractors - NorTrac, Jinna, Farm Pro etc.   Interested primarily in reliability, cold starting, parts availability, servicability,etc.  Don't care much about bells & whistles or cosmetics.   Thanks,  Bill
Off grid since 1990
6/1 Metro DI living in basement, cogen
6/1 Metro IDI running barn & biodiesel processer
VW 1.6 diesels all over the place
Isuzu Boxtruck, Ford Backhoe, all running on biodiesel
Needs diesel lawnmower & chainsaw

Stan

Re: Chinese Tractors
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 09:24:18 PM »
A friend of mine just bought a $19,000 Montana, (28 hp diesel)  I think it's made in Korea, looks like a good tractor, lots of heft and sturdiness anyway.
Stan

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 03:43:07 AM »
Bill
  I have had a 28HP 4X4 Jinma for 3 years now.  It has been a good machine for me, and I have done quite a few modifications to it, as well as built some impliments for it.  It is a real brute for it's size.  I spent quite a while researching before I bought.  The main reason I went Jinma is because of the established importer/dealer base.  It is a simple basic machine, along the lines of what we produced here back in the 1950's.  They are easy to work on, especially if you are not afraid of some heavy iron.  My biggest concern was parts.  The 254/284 line has been in production quite a while and there are all kinds of importers who have parts on the shelf if you should need them, including Norther Tool, as their "Nortrak" line are rebaged Jinma's.  As for cold starting, mine has glowplugs and starts reliably down into the upper 20's.  If it got any colder around here, I would add a lower radiator heating element and an oil pan heater for cold starts. 

I am at around 250 hours on mine now with only a few minor issues(failed ignition key switch and blown "O" ring in the hydraulics) that the dealer provided parts for overnight.  Both were 15 minute repairs.  If you havn't been there yet, the chinese forum section at the tractor buy net website has quite a lot of material on setup, problem resolution and buyer experiences.  It was one of my prime resources when researching my purchase.  There is also some good advice there based on your mechanical skill level.  Here is a link to a couple of days worth of reading:).
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/chinese-tractors/

Good luck

Ron
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 07:39:43 AM »
Go to the yesterdays tractors forum.  Some useful info there.  Some might be good, some awful and for some you may never get spares when you need them.;  I reckon the best thing is they are cheap.  But I always say 'you pays your money and you get what you pay for'.  Look for quality.

Regards, RAB

biobill

• 'riods make good houseguests if fed right
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 01:47:58 PM »
Thanks Guys,
  Sold my 47 Farmall A and looking to replace it with something of similar sophistication but diesel powered w/3ph. The Chinese offerings are competitive price wise with the 20+ yr old Fords & Deeres I've been looking at. I'll do some more research.
Off grid since 1990
6/1 Metro DI living in basement, cogen
6/1 Metro IDI running barn & biodiesel processer
VW 1.6 diesels all over the place
Isuzu Boxtruck, Ford Backhoe, all running on biodiesel
Needs diesel lawnmower & chainsaw

clytle374

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 05:11:52 PM »
Not sure how big your looking for.  We bought a Mahindra 2015 a few years back.  It is a good tractor but I would get a little more horse power.  That what the 20 stands for.  They have them up around 40 Hp also.  The 15 series are a re branded Mitsubishi.

My $.02

Cory